PDA

View Full Version : 360 degree lighting?

cove
03-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Is there a way to create a simple light set up that lights an object equally allround with no overlapping highlights or dark areas/shadowing.

Id simply like to create and save a scene that only has a 360 degree lighting setup
so that when i load in an object in to this scene i see the object lite equally allround.
Thanks for any info in reply.

Greenlaw
03-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Could you use a Dome light for that?

Kevbarnes
03-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Is there a way to create a simple light set up that lights an object equally allround

Try Light : Properties : click widget on 'Light Type' and test 'Dome'

If you adjust the 'Angle' you will begin to get more directional lighting along with sharper shadows

I typically use 3 or 6 degrees. You will need to increase the shading samples and or light samples in the 'Render Tab' to smooth out noise

also increase Antialiasing samples for the camera when you render.

edit
Ha Greenlaw you beat me to it!

Greenlaw
03-04-2016, 11:52 AM
You beat me with better information. :)

cove
03-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the few suggetions so far.
Ive tried all the different light types simple by changing the light type via the lights properties panel.
Not one light gives an overall/equel lighting effect.
You always have to add a second then a third light etc as any one light only lights up one side of an object.
Ive even tried having a light above below/left right/back front but there was still some overlapping hot spots and or dark areas
Seems a multiple of any one light type cannot produce an even lighting.

A bit more info.
I like to do a lot of trial and error in open gl especially if im trying out
different textures and find it a nuisence to have to add one or more lights
around an object for it to be reasonably lite allround.

Final rendering is not really an issue here as you would aproach lighting in a different and more usual way with an actual project.

Greenlaw
03-04-2016, 01:43 PM
The Dome light can be set for 360 degrees illumination. Put one directly above your scene and angled 90, clone it and move the second one below angled -90. This should give you 'flat' lighting while still making the scene look 3D. (You need 2 because it's half a sphere.)

G.

spherical
03-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Use Dpont's dome. It goes completely spherical.

prometheus
03-04-2016, 09:49 PM
or just turn of all lights and use global illumination/radiosity with a white background, you can boost it up with some ambient light too..if you check the ambient occlusion.
For flicker free animated radiosity, you would have to check the forum threads for that, for stills it should be good enough though.

djwaterman
03-04-2016, 10:34 PM
or just turn of all lights and use global illumination/radiosity with a white background, you can boost it up with some ambient light too..if you check the ambient occlusion.
For flicker free animated radiosity, you would have to check the forum threads for that, for stills it should be good enough though.

This was probably the easiest and quickest way, but please go and download and install the DP Lights (http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/main_en.htm) if you haven't already, you'll end up using them most of the time once you have em.

spherical
03-04-2016, 10:48 PM

And then you're incurring the processing time for GI. Just use DPont's Dome; like I said earlier. Done.

prometheus
03-04-2016, 11:22 PM
And then you're incurring the processing time for GI. Just use DPont's Dome; like I said earlier. Done.

The GI is quite fast today in 2105, though it may depend entirely on the scene of course.

Actually...GI seems faster, the DP dome light was some seconds slower, and still grainer, and you have to raise light samples a lot to get rid of that, GI result seems to show less noise.

For stills itīs ok, animations..might be different.

prometheus
03-04-2016, 11:42 PM
This was probably the easiest and quickest way, but please go and download and install the DP Lights (http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/main_en.htm) if you haven't already, you'll end up using them most of the time once you have em.

As mentioned..I have them, they show more noise, and seems to take longer time to render...so if you have 2015, try add a plane, a box, a sphere, and stack it on top of eachother for a fast scene setup, add white as background, keep default settings, and render...the GI interpolated should be faster and cleaner than the dp dome light.

djwaterman
03-05-2016, 01:28 AM
I think the DP Dome light is pretty fast and with more options. But your GI solution with white or Bright colored BG is the quickest and cleanest since you don't have to clean up the noise dome lights give you. All are viable solutions it just depends on how you want to set it up but the OP was asking for an easy solution.

spherical
03-05-2016, 03:03 AM
WooHoo! I tried the GI White Background solution on a default surfaced cube that I created for this test and it gave me a light grey cube (same value, obviously, as the original render using DP Dome), but on a white background, not a black one (or any other color that I may prefer) where I can actually see what is what and it saved me a whole 0.3 seconds! To get that, I had to up the render resolution by 400%. Are we nitpicking solutions, here, or what?

pinkmouse
03-05-2016, 05:30 AM
Erm, why not just turn up Ambient Intensity to an appropriate level? :D

djwaterman
03-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Not really quibbling, time isn't really the issue here, it's what requires less work for decent results.

Personally I'd never light a scene any of these ways as I'd want more control of the lighting.

cove
03-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the good advice given.
Sorry for late response needed time to test things out.
The advice to try Dp lights was good advice as ive now found perfect 360 degree lighting for doing simple testing.
Experimented with Dp lights and just one Dp "Custum light" [ Ambient intensity Set to about 90] is the one iv settled for.
Using a plain white background color is a good suggestion/option.
Another good thing is that i do not need now to save a special light setup scene as its so quick and easy to just select
Dp Custum light.
Regards cove.

prometheus
03-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the good advice given.
Sorry for late response needed time to test things out.
The advice to try Dp lights was good advice as ive now found perfect 360 degree lighting for doing simple testing.
Experimented with Dp lights and just one Dp "Custum light" [ Ambient intensity Set to about 90] is the one iv settled for.
Using a plain white background color is a good suggestion/option.
Another good thing is that i do not need now to save a special light setup scene as its so quick and easy to just select
Dp Custum light.
Regards cove.

I recommend try the GI solution too..should be faster, try both background and montecarlo, I donīt know if ambient intensity is something you should use with dp dome light, that will only flatten out things and it will not be able to make occlusion from the ambient light, thats why I donīt think you should use any ambient light with dp dome.
Ambient light can be used to boost lighting with GI ..and with GI you can turn on ambient occlusion, which will occlude some of the ambient light.

prometheus
03-05-2016, 03:55 PM
some samples....check surface settings to see how it is set in order to blend in against the white background, 50& diffuse, max color whiteness to match the same amount of background white, 50% reflection.
if you want darker floor, you could still fade it in to background with object dissolve...or replace it with a proper cyce instead.

Backdrop only...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132764&d=1457218226

Montecarlo only..

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132765&d=1457218252

Monte carlo And ambient light and occlusion activated..

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132766&d=1457218272

Adding area light with clamped distance in order to get spec highlights and lit the items more none uniformly, added a film shader for the sphere...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132767&d=1457218292

prometheus
03-05-2016, 05:43 PM
the previous samples was using both ambient light and backdrop white color for the GI..

hereīs what happens with backdrop being black..thus no GI light emisson from that, only light from ambient light, usally ambient light should be avoided for realistic renders..check first render, but with the aid of using ambient occlusion in the GI panel, the ambient light has become useful in some cases..even for realistic renders.

ambient light only...no occlusion and no other lights and no backdrop to light it up either, thus very flat:)

same scene with ambient occlusion turned on in the GI panel, the ambient light is at 100%, no other lights or backdrops to lit it up.

cove
03-06-2016, 05:21 AM
the previous samples was using both ambient light and backdrop white color for the GI..

hereīs what happens with backdrop being black..thus no GI light emisson from that, only light from ambient light, usally ambient light should be avoided for realistic renders..check first render, but with the aid of using ambient occlusion in the GI panel, the ambient light has become useful in some cases..even for realistic renders.

ambient light only...no occlusion and no other lights and no backdrop to light it up either, thus very flat:)

same scene with ambient occlusion turned on in the GI panel, the ambient light is at 100%, no other lights or backdrops to lit it up.

Hi prometheus
Thanks for troubling to provide further information, with images, about GI.
Ive just spent the last couple of hours trying out GI based on your advice
and its been a real eye opener.
Not only does GI give you a good basic light setup i now understand more about
GI than i ever did before and will be using it again in future.

PS. Hope you like my "GI" joe image.
GI Joe knows all about Globel illumination in the middle of the desert.
Its bloody hot and the midday sun can be blinding.
Just could not resist creating this image and posting it in my reply. :thumbsup: :)

prometheus
03-06-2016, 04:47 PM
PS. Hope you like my "GI" joe image.
GI Joe knows all about Globel illumination in the middle of the desert.
Its bloody hot and the midday sun can be blinding.
Just could not resist creating this image and posting it in my reply. :thumbsup: :)

Thatīs great,GI Joe...how fitting:D

Michael