PDA

View Full Version : Instance weirdo placement!

jaxtone
03-04-2016, 06:09 AM
Hi!

I wonder what possibly is wrong with the Instance part of Lightwave? I just wanted these dead teddys dance with the cartoon-like girl in a dead end alley and position them in rectangle around her like a an army of dead teddy bears!

But how come these dead guys place them self in different altitudes on the Y-vector? I havenīt told them to do so! Of course I have chosen random since the Uniform option doesnīt spread them out at all!

What is happening?

jasonwestmas
03-04-2016, 07:20 AM
well you are in random mode. That would be my first guess. I think in this case I would just start applying instances to hand placed nulls ( to specifically control placement) unless for some reason you need 100s of these brown dudes.

Kaptive
03-04-2016, 07:34 AM
well you are in random mode. That would be my first guess. I think in this case I would just start applying instances to hand placed nulls ( to specifically control placement) unless for some reason you need 100s of these brown dudes.

Rather scary brown dudes. Yep nulls is the way to go for sure... though it is still strange what is happening. Weird stuff like this can happen if your original object (the one referenced by the instance) is not on 0,0,0xyz. But actually that doesn't really explain what we see there.

Only other options are:-

The object you are placing the instances on is hidden and has a bump in it.
You have some variable in the Y axis (offset panel on the object with the instances) ...which you don't.
Lightwave has gone potty.
Your machine is under attack from Gremlins.

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/1348132832_gremlins-oo.jpg?quality=80&w=650

jaxtone
03-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Hahaha... might be so!

I have to learn about hand placed points then... another step backwards in the process. Just as usual :)

souzou
03-04-2016, 10:39 AM
I just tried this with boxes on a floor and didn't have any issues. Wondering if it might be to do with the pivot point of the teddy bear (or something similar)?

prometheus
03-04-2016, 12:08 PM
you could simply go to the item tab/clone instance ...(not clone) then place these 12 guys where you want them, or maybe just make a box in modeler with a total of 12 points on the edges, kill polys, send to layout and use that as the main instancer and select points as distribution, the point method would face an issue of the instances locked to the points though.

you could also select one instance dude..then use the array tool in layout,12x12 middle mouse click and drag over the instances in the middle that you do not want, then delete those, do not delete decendent.

spherical
03-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Unsure if this situation is relevant, but in a previous thread a person was having issues with unpredictable orientation and the solution was that the instancing targets needed to be isosceles triangles having one short side.