PDA

View Full Version : New RH Face Rigging Masterclass Coming Soon

RebelHill
03-03-2016, 11:57 PM
So... have a gander at this fella...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mul9t0-StAw

This is one of the setups from a new, forthcoming tutorial series focussed on high quality facial rigging that shall be making its appearance very soon. It's going to be something of a "masterclass" type affair, rather than a general rigging tutorial in any way, so it'll be taking you through face specific rigging issues and solutions and all that, without stopping to teach the ins and outs of LWs rigging system itself (there's already RHR for that ofc).

So what's the deal...

I've a small handful of remaining pieces to record, plus editing, etc... so Im guessing its about 2 weeks out at this point (give or take a couple days).

As for how it's going to fit into to my existing wares for rigging and animation (wee explanation to try and map out here)...

I do ofc have the different rig/animate product bundles, I also have add-on pricing for existing bits when people have some other bit. Now, ordinarily, I'd like to fit in that way somehow or other (discounts for existing owners of whatever, bundling, etc)... but given that I have an evolving offering of "matched" products like this... it starts to become difficult... This upgrade/add-on price if you have, some other price if you've got that bundle, do I add to the bundles going forward and adjust their prices accordingly, what about folk who bought on bundle... etc.

Not only is this something of a pain to try and manage and administer, it's also getting ever more confusing for customers (my batch of pricings for this or that based on the other is already quite fragmented)... So here's what I'm gonna do...

I'm going to offer this on early bird/pre-order special pricing, available to all those who have any of my existing rig/animation products (RHR/RHA/RHiggit), and then, when we hit final release, it'll go on a flat price for all customers. Don't worry, it wont be a huge hike, and will still be great value... but this'll give those of you who want the chance to get in a lil saving as a thanks for being an existing owner. As for how you take advantage of that... I'll be emailing all eligible folk shortly with details/link/etc.

So, hope y'all like what you see in the video above (a small teaser of a simpler rig though it be)...

And cheers very much.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-04-2016, 12:33 AM
Excellent...

ernpchan
03-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Very impressive rig.

Kaptive
03-04-2016, 04:21 AM
Cool stuff. Will check how the bank balance is looking. But now or later, I'll be dropping you some well earned dollar at some point.

chikega
03-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Looking forward to it! :D

Fsoto
03-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Great; looking forward to it!

squarewulf
03-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Amazing as always! Cant wait.

Julez4001
03-05-2016, 08:22 PM
I've al;ready purchased everything else so take my money.

Questions....

Will there be a technique to face auto rig?
If not,
Can you build one rig that easily scaled to other characters?

RebelHill
03-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Cheers all, Im hoping very much that you shall like it a lot...

Will there be a technique to face auto rig? If not, Can you build one rig that easily scaled to other characters?

Ehh... not really. One thing that will be quite apparent from this training is that faces are very much "individualised" in a way that bodies aren't. One size fits all is easy for arms n legs n the like, much less so for faces.

As for if you can easily "reposition" one rig to fit another character... define easy! Can you do it... sure... but there's a few things to keep track of (positions, bases, etc). Once you know it, what all the parts are, where they go, then ofc such would become easier (though still requiring a fair bit of concentration to make sure you're not missing a trick).

However... another thing that will become very apparent, is how, once you know your way through the process, just how fast you really can build such rigs completely from scratch. The one in the video above... can build that from noting in say... 90 mins... maybe under an hour if you had the process clear in your head and you really pushed it.

Davewriter
03-05-2016, 09:41 PM
In and $'d
You had me at "New item"
Thanks!

bobakabob
03-06-2016, 02:39 AM
Looks great, we really need more of this in Lightwave. A good niche to fill. There is very little on facial rigging in Lightwave.

Greenlaw
03-06-2016, 02:50 AM
Looking good RH! I already have my card out.

G.

Spinland
03-06-2016, 03:22 AM
Wonderful. If I weren't hundreds of miles from home right now, viewing this on my tablet, I'd have already bought. I'll be back home this evening and my credit card will be singing within the next 24 hours. :D

drako
03-06-2016, 04:10 AM
Just bought and wait.Everything i bought from RH helped us a lot.Thanks RH and i wait as a madman your Face Rig Tutorial.
Cheers.

Spinland
03-06-2016, 04:17 AM
Heh. Whatever was I thinking? Thanks to PayPal no need to await getting my hands on the Studio credit card (with which I usually do not travel unless it's a business trip). Ordered and now impatiently await more fun stuff to play with!

Julez4001
03-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Hypothetically speaking and just wanted to pick your brain...

Is it possible to use genoma-face rig?
You have your "parts" ready to go and then you position them and run a script.

Kevbarnes
03-06-2016, 10:04 AM
a small teaser of a simpler rig though it be...

Yes it is .... not that it be ! - (Black Adder reference)

https://youtu.be/VByDD_zZbXM?t=9

Just PayPal'd for my copy - Cheers

Kev

jeric_synergy
03-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Excellent. Be sure to post a final hedzup for those on the fence.

(FWIW, PayPal boned me by overdrawing my account once, even though 'overdraft protection' was supposed to be on. Bastards never responded at all to inquiries.)

Julez4001
03-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Am I daft? Is there a link to pre-purchase that I missed?

jeric_synergy
03-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Am I daft? Is there a link to pre-purchase that I missed?
Me too. :stumped:

allabulle
03-06-2016, 12:42 PM
I guess you shoud receive an e-mail from RebelHill, at least I received one with the link.

jeric_synergy
03-06-2016, 01:04 PM
I guess you shoud receive an e-mail from RebelHill, at least I received one with the link.

No, I mean to pre-pay. You got one out of the blue?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I see it now. For some reason in my Yahoo! mail RH is listed as "- -", so it really doesn't stand out much. Thanks.

RebelHill
03-06-2016, 01:36 PM
yep... emails should all have gone out. If you've got one of the rigging/animation products and have not received it, lemme know.

Is it possible to use genoma-face rig?

Dont think there is a genoma face rig. Now could you build one for it... some parts yes, but others not I fear.

Cheers.

tommyc
03-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Ordered mine today. Looking forward to watching it!

Julez4001
03-07-2016, 11:57 AM
https://disney-animation.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/production/publication_asset/97/asset/facial.pdf

Just a little "FYI"...

chikega
03-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Any chance of getting the Rebel Hill board working again?

http://www.rebelhill.net/board/

RebelHill
03-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Any chance of getting the Rebel Hill board working again?

I think that's probably a no... The whole PHP/SQL thing the site uses for it got messed up a while back from an upgrade to the sql version my host uses... I could probs get it working with some additional tinkering, but tbh, I think I prefer having threads left running here, they're more accessible to all (not just customers) and its also one less thing for me to have to worry about or deal with. I mainly left the board up after it got broken so as the topics were still available for folk to peruse, but since the stuff it refers to is kinda ols and depreciated now... I should probably get round to just retiring it completely.

chikega
03-13-2016, 08:21 PM
That sounds reasonable. I'll throw questions your way here on the Lightwave forum.

Vong
03-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Finally got some free time to actually go and get the pre-order on this... I've got everything else! Looking forward to this.

Spinland
03-14-2016, 01:51 AM
This is doubly timely for me, as when I picked up Brekel Body Pro V2 yesterday I couldn't resist the package deal for getting Face V2 as well. I love TAFA and all, but I'm very interested in branching my skill set into other techniques. Learning is fun. :D

Daphne
03-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Hey Rebelhill, I wanted to make sure the transaction went through successfully. My computer is acting a behaving a bit oddly ATM....

Thanks!

RebelHill
03-17-2016, 02:53 PM
It did.

Greenlaw
03-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Hi RH,

I haven't received the email. Checked my spam folder too. Could you check this on your end for me? Thanks.

G.

Julez4001
03-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Rebel
Can you check for me too......
*@nscorp.com

jasonwestmas
03-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Is there a pose saving feature that can be used with this kind of setup? I think Timothy Albee had a script if I'm not mistaken.

RebelHill
03-18-2016, 01:07 AM
No clue, you should both have been in the list... I shall PM you.

Is there a pose saving feature that can be used with this kind of setup? I think Timothy Albee had a script if I'm not mistaken.

You can use the pose and motion tools in my animation toolbox... will work with this and all manner of other setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LxtV07BEl0&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX&index=30

Paul Goodrich
03-18-2016, 07:31 PM
I didn't get an email. Would love to get this.
Paul Goodrich (pdg at bway.net)

RebelHill
03-19-2016, 01:35 AM
Just a lil update for you all...

I figure Ive got about another week to run till release now, overshot some as Ive included a couple bits I hadnt originally thought to do, and also reworked back over some parts to add more detail n pazazz... I do get a lil carried away on occasion.

Speaking of which...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmQYEk4UHQk

Cheers.

Julez4001
03-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Rebel
First off, Amazing! And thanks for caring enough to get the little details.
Can one use normal maps to mimic the displacement so the poly count doesn't drag in performance in realtime?

SeaWiz
03-19-2016, 10:33 AM
RebelHill

Also want in on this. I too have not received an email and have purchased from you in the past. Last year bought the RHA tuts. Email seawiz at optonline.net

jeric_synergy
03-19-2016, 06:29 PM
Everybody: if you're looking for the email, don't key in on RH's name, it was left off of mine. Do a more elaborate Search.

Paul Goodrich
03-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Rebel Hill can you PM me with the link to buy as my email seems to not want to work with the links you sent, thanks.

Paul Goodrich

TheLexx
03-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Now this looks fantastic. To my eye, the Holy Grail of facial animation was the Chris Jones Ed video. I am intrigued by the subtle face movements demonstrated in the video here compared to what Chris achieved with wrinkling Ed's forehead and eyes. It seems to me that with a decent head model and texturing, this rig could also help to take on uncanny valley for realistic facial animation. Anyone's further thoughts would be very interesting.

RebelHill
03-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Ofc the big contributions to realism is CJs head come down to the mesh and the texturing, which is supremely good... but do have that all working in a face with a full array of posing versatility requires something that operates as a whole, and has all the bits and pieces ready to hook things up to either for dialling in control as you need it, or for automating things which "have" to happen (such as forehead wrinkling when you raise the brow). I know he also has difficulties switching between different wrinkle directions (such as the horizontal wrinkles when the brow goes up vs the vertical ones when it squeezes in), as well as localising them to operate only within the area of the movement.

There are methods for solving all of this included in the training, so... given a high quality, realistic mesh/texture/render... these rigging methods will let you create top tier, realistic faces, no problem.

Spinland
03-23-2016, 06:42 AM
There are methods for solving all of this included in the training, so... given a high quality, realistic mesh/texture/render... these rigging methods will let you create top tier, realistic faces, no problem.

This is my salivating-with-anticipation face.

chikega
03-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Excellet stuff Craig!:thumbsup:

RebelHill
03-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Ok all... last lil heads up for those wanting to get in before release, I'm on the last bits of editing and polish, and am estimating 48 hrs ish till release. The series covers all aspects of face rigging in LW and the various techniques one can use, with details for general, realistic, and toon style faces all taken into consideration. I dont have a final figure atm, but I'm ballparking it should be about 10+ hours of content for y'all. As a final teaser of what's coming, I've gotten up the YT list of the basics videos from the series, plus some clips from the main meat of it (as per usual)...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTds3QePYrWEwX0wC2PQh5UE7qNJwilNj

Cheers.

jeric_synergy
03-28-2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the hedzup.

drako
03-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Wowwwwwww

TheLexx
03-31-2016, 01:28 AM
Hi RebelHill, I just watched your "01 rig types" video form your link. Good stuff, thanks. I did some additional web surfing and encountered references to a "cluster based" face rig, and was confused how this fitted into the picture ?

RebelHill
03-31-2016, 02:59 AM
Well, we dont have clusters per sť in LW so they're not an option. That said though, clusters, in something like maya, are really just collections of verts (pretty much analogous to parts or selection sets or somesuch) which can have stuff done to them, such as being attached to directly controllers, with any given vert capable of being a member of multiple clusters. Once you bake it all down, its really little different in an abstract sense from having bones with weights grabbing sets of verts... at least for us. In LW you can have multiple bones sharing a single weightmap, which allows you to spread influence for easier weighting, and getting smooth deformations across multiple bones... in maya and others you cant do this, you have to have explicit weights on bones/joints... so using clusters in that app lets you get effects that make use of this shared influence, because explicit weighting of a face setup is really hard. There are also lil details about how maya processes deformers that can make the pipeline for cluster based deformations work faster than joints... but thats an app specific issue.

Long and short of it... a cluster based face rig in maya is very similar to a joint/weight based one, but with certain added tricks n options available... compared to a bone based face rig in LW, however, the differences are much smaller and not particularly meaningful.

chikega
06-05-2017, 09:15 AM
What is the status of the Face Rigging tutorial series? Has it been released yet?

TheLexx
06-05-2017, 10:38 AM
What is the status of the Face Rigging tutorial series? Has it been released yet?Those have been out a while.
http://www.rebelhill.net/html/rhfr.html

chikega
06-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Purchased :)