PDA

View Full Version : New Energy effect plugin_Free from Video CoPilot

djwaterman
03-03-2016, 09:04 PM
Finally the trailer has been put up so we can see what he's been promising us for the last few weeks. It is released tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os-qqVrMc-Q

DrStrik9
03-03-2016, 09:45 PM
It's for After Effects, right?

Kaptive
03-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Oh wow, for saying it's free, that looks great! More than just useful for Lightsabers.

I have to say, for anyone familiar with Red Letter Media (http://redlettermedia.com/)... that end caption "it's so dense" was clearly a nod to them and made me smile :)

But excellent share, cheers DJ!

djwaterman
03-03-2016, 09:58 PM
It's for After Effects, right?

For AE, and I think it needs Element 3D to work, but he's putting up a tutorial tomorrow so that will explain everything.

adrian
03-04-2016, 02:22 AM
Looks awesome and great to see some life coming back into VC again, although he was working on Star Wars so of course that would take priority over everything else... hope that new plug doesn't need Element3D to work as I don't have it :-(

Kaptive
03-04-2016, 03:54 AM
hope that new plug doesn't need Element3D to work as I don't have it :-(

Same. The list of useful things just grows and grows, justifications for spending on them often doesn't match it sadly. Can be quite frustrating.

edit: Not to say Element 3d is a crazy price though, or without uses. Who knows.

50one
03-04-2016, 06:00 AM
Guys, when considering price of the full bundle - Element 3D - $199 + AE / montlhy then you have really capable solution for Mograph and beyond and the gigs themselves should repay the cost dozen times within a month...

Kaptive
03-04-2016, 06:23 AM
Guys, when considering price of the full bundle - Element 3D - $199 + AE / montlhy then you have really capable solution for Mograph and beyond and the gigs themselves should repay the cost dozen times within a month...

That's a fair comment. To be fair, I need to make more use of my gawd damn Adobe package that burns a hole in my pocket every month! :)

adrian
03-04-2016, 07:57 AM
If you don't have paid gigs then shelling out $199 on a plugin (however "cool" it is) is a much harder decision to justify. I'm very happily still on CS6 so don't have the daylight robbery subscription to worry about....

djwaterman
03-06-2016, 01:27 AM
Well it's out, and you don't need Element 3d to run it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reSXGxkyr0k

djwaterman
03-06-2016, 02:21 AM
After less than 10 minutes playing with it I can tell this is going to be one of those plugins that get used again and again in many different ways. Can't believe we never had something like it before, it instantly feels like something we should've been using since forever.

bobakabob
03-06-2016, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Does it work with CS 5... ? Agree with Adrian and intend to avoid subs as long as possible.

adrian
03-06-2016, 03:07 AM
Andrew Kramer really is a legend! Looking forward to trying out the plugin now.

djwaterman
03-06-2016, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Does it work with CS 5... ? Agree with Adrian and intend to avoid subs as long as possible.

I can only confirm that it works for CS6 and Up, download it and run the installer, it will detect what ever versions of AE you have and install to them. So see if it finds your version and if so it should install I guess.

Kaptive
03-06-2016, 05:56 AM
This kind of generosity of time (not least the tutorial to explain it too) really adds a big boost to my want to support them and jump into Element 3D and their other products. I already have some VC stuff, but I'm sure I could use more.
Very cool plugin, can't wait to try it. No doubt it'll be very useful for my sci-fi efforts! :)

unstable
03-06-2016, 06:53 AM

I was able to accomplish the basic tutorial using CS 5.5

djwaterman
03-06-2016, 08:24 AM
This kind of generosity of time (not least the tutorial to explain it too) really adds a big boost to my want to support them and jump into Element 3D and their other products. I already have some VC stuff, but I'm sure I could use more.
Very cool plugin, can't wait to try it. No doubt it'll be very useful for my sci-fi efforts! :)

Have you got Optical Flares? That would work well for you project.

erikals
03-06-2016, 08:40 AM
looks cool, don't get me wrong, but it's like the standard CG lens flare all over again...

won't it end up being too recognizable ?

djwaterman
03-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Totally customizable and as always how you use it.

erikals
03-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Totally customizable

if so, that'd be nice...

i remain skeptical though...

that said, nice for Indie films

djwaterman
03-06-2016, 10:12 AM
He also has the same plugin for NUKE as the industry asked for it.

Kevbarnes
03-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Anyone having trouble installing to CS4. The installer dialogue doesn't seem to see the app.exe

I looked on plug-in page to see if works with CS4 but there is no info.

Tried placing plug-in in the plug-ins folder but it doesn't appear in the plug-ins list.

Kaptive
03-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Have you got Optical Flares? That would work well for you project.

I've not (and I'd forgotten about that plugin, thanks for the reminder!). When it comes to the final stages of production I think it will be a must have for completing the look (though unlike J.J. lens flars need to be very subtle for me!!!.
I have been rather hoping that LW3DG would give the LW flares a bit of love, as I don't imagine it is that complex an upgrade and would save a fair bit of time over comping them in afterwards... but each way has advantages.

Anyways, for sure, that will be on the shopping list. Again, without regular use for it... it'll be something I'll have to save up for on the side for when I reach the compositing stages. I've spent too much money in the past on things that have ended up not really being used much. Bad economy, so I have learned my lessons now!

djwaterman
03-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Anyone having trouble installing to CS4. The installer dialogue doesn't seem to see the app.exe

I looked on plug-in page to see if works with CS4 but there is no info.

Tried placing plug-in in the plug-ins folder but it doesn't appear in the plug-ins list.

I would throw that question out on the VCP blog comments page.

Kevbarnes
03-07-2016, 08:31 AM
I would throw that question out on the VCP blog comments page.

yep - I have done that now, I'm waiting for a solution - one other guy has had the same so I'm thinking there might be an update to the installer?