PDA

View Full Version : Where did the texture window and the search button go in Lightwave 2015?

webgenie
03-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Although I can model just fine, UVs aren't my forte, as I hadn't really needed to work much with them a lot in the past. Now I have a tab to view a model in wireframe, shaded, textured, etc, but the option to view uvs does not appear, though it appears in any tutorial I can find. Where did they put it, and why is it no longer there? The option to make uvs is also disabled even in primitive, and I need that. I can use the make uv maps command on the colum of commands, and when you press it a message states that it has worked, but there is no way to see the texture or alter it.

Also, there used to be a search and a find option on the edit menu tab. I use this a lot when I can't find a command I know exists, but which I can not locate, especially if I want it to appear someplace I can find it easily. Presently I just have the find option, which allows me to highlight a command then go to the command but no search tab that allows me to find the command. Why was it removed, and where was it moved to?

djwaterman
03-03-2016, 12:45 PM
It should be in the window view where you can change view ports to perspective, top view, left view and so on, and change any chosen window to UV view.

JoePoe
03-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Yup.... and...

Search field is there, it's just hard to see.
It's the slightly darker gray field above the word "Command".
(it's not triggered by a button, it's always present now.)

Edit: oh....and to get the UV option on primitives to be active....
You need to create a UV first...or just have an already created one active (lower right dropdown).
Then make your primitive. Should be un-grayed out.

prometheus
03-03-2016, 11:32 PM
Yup.... and...

Search field is there, it's just hard to see.
It's the slightly darker gray field above the word "Command".
(it's not triggered by a button, it's always present now.)

Edit: oh....and to get the UV option on primitives to be active....
You need to create a UV first...or just have an already created one active (lower right dropdown).
Then make your primitive. Should be un-grayed out.

Yeah..that stumbled me too when first using lw 2015, I thought it was a bad UI move in terms of not having a field saying search, it may work faster once you know it..for new users never using lightwave..it will only make it harder to
learn, I think they of course can change it with a direct search field, but for Lightwave sake...put a label next to the search field, stating what it is and where it is.

I missed it for an obvious reason, as well as the thread starter...and there will be more to come.

Michael

jwiede
03-05-2016, 03:51 AM
Yeah..that stumbled me too when first using lw 2015, I thought it was a bad UI move in terms of not having a field saying search, it may work faster once you know it..for new users never using lightwave..it will only make it harder to
learn, I think they of course can change it with a direct search field, but for Lightwave sake...put a label next to the search field, stating what it is and where it is.

Heck, though LW tends towards text labels, if they want to save space even just a magnifying glass glyph next to the field would make its purpose much clearer.

jeric_synergy
03-05-2016, 09:52 AM
if they want to save space even just a magnifying glass glyph next to the field would make its purpose much clearer.
Change that to "magnifying glass glyph INSIDE the field" and you have a winner.

You only need the label/marker before you start using it. I think one can assume that once the user starts typing, they know they are Searching.

To me, the easy enhancement is to make the Search field automatically activated, saving the user a mouse search&click. There is zero downside to activating the Search field for the user. (That is: it only saves labor, it doesn't create more.)

prometheus
03-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Heck, though LW tends towards text labels, if they want to save space even just a magnifying glass glyph next to the field would make its purpose much clearer.

Agreed..donīt think it was a change based upon saving space though..rather a change to faster workflow..instead of clicking search then writing the search string, you can now search directly..itīs perfectly fine once you know all that, but for those newbies, it wonīt make any sense, so sure..a little magnify icon that is so well known for what itīs function is, should be just fine.

jwiede
03-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Change that to "magnifying glass glyph INSIDE the field" and you have a winner.

Funny you mention that, I had that initially as a suggestion, but removed it because I very much doubt the LW UI kit supports that kind of functionality (there's no evidence of support elsewhere that I can recall). I agree it would be a better way to display the glyph in the existing space, and is quite commonly used in apps with more modern UIs.

jeric_synergy
03-06-2016, 09:33 PM
....., and is quite commonly used in apps with more modern UIs.
It's practically standard. Inside would of course be more compact.

I may be conflating my software, but I seem to recall (ISTR) some place in LW/LWM where a field starts out with a placeholder.... well, there's THIS:
So, even if a glyph per se isn't available, I think the API hooks exist to put something in that text field, preferably ghosted (as here) AND in italics.