PDA

View Full Version : That was really weird!

Ma3rk
03-02-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm revisiting some things in LW 2015 and today wanted to test some things using Splice control. So, made a quick curve in Modeler, saved it & sent it to Layout. Went to use the Spline to Curve tool and it wasn't there. Wonderful. Opened up the Layout menu editor, searched and added it to a panel. Closed the editor, selected the curve, clicked the button and got an error that it couldn't load external script. Hmmm.

Opened up the Edit Plugins menu, scrolled down the menu & found it. Twirlled down the arrow and it was listed as a Modeling Command! Double Hmmm.

Fired up LW 11.6.3 and looked there and it's listed once as a Layout Command.

Did a file search and found only one Curve_To_Spline.py in each of the Lightwave installs, both under ...scripts\Python\Layout\Generic. OK then.

Opened up 2015 Layout, added the script, it was accepted but now in the Edit Plugins menu, it now lists Curve_To_Spline.py as both a Modeler and Layout Command!

I reopened the Menus Editor. Side question: Why the Hell does 2015 insist on creating a new Additional Tab each time a plug-in is added? Anyway, I moved it to the Setup Tab where it's supposed to be and deleted that Additional tab.

I selected my curve, hit the button and it works fortunately, but Jeez...

souzou
03-02-2016, 03:23 PM
I have no ideas as to what happened to you there but just wanted to say that this:

Side question: Why the Hell does 2015 insist on creating a new Additional Tab each time a plug-in is added?

is really annoying

Ma3rk
03-02-2016, 08:08 PM
I have no ideas as to what happened to you there but just wanted to say that this:

is really annoying

Oh good. It ISN'T just me.

I'm just starting to get my sealegs again with LW. System was down for some months. Thought it was due to an unfortunate Stella Artois incident, but as it turned out, I had a slowly dying nVidia Quadro4000. Stella was more or less the roller skate on the stairs.

Point being, I'm a bit late to the LW 2015.3 party and its various woes to know if mine are old news or some other quirk. There seem to be some path and config quirks for sure. LWCad5.0's new installer didn't correctly w/o issue, etc.

Well, hopefully the Newtek wizards are battling basic issues rather than introducing new stuff, well, as much new stuff anyway.

M.