PDA

View Full Version : Instance question.

Snosrap
03-01-2016, 08:01 PM
Is it possible to add instances to instances? I created several instances using the Clone Instance command and want to add some small details using instances. I thought - wrongly I guess - that if I added the instances to the base object for which the instances were derived that they would somehow magically show up on all my Cloned Instances. I guess I can go back and change my cloned instances to regular clones and do it that way I supose. Better ways?

Thanks

prometheus
03-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Is it possible to add instances to instances? I created several instances using the Clone Instance command and want to add some small details using instances. I thought - wrongly I guess - that if I added the instances to the base object for which the instances were derived that they would somehow magically show up on all my Cloned Instances. I guess I can go back and change my cloned instances to regular clones and do it that way I supose. Better ways?

Thanks

I think you only can use layers that are instanced.

spherical
03-01-2016, 08:47 PM
IIRC, there's a previous thread that examined this and the answer was "no".

Snosrap
03-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys!

Kaptive
03-02-2016, 01:33 AM
If it helps any, my solution to this is to create the initial construct as single instances on lots of nulls (cloning the null with the instanced item on it). Place them all, get it all right, then clone hierachy on the root null of the parented group.
Of course it totally depends on how extensive you intend it to be. Adding that many nulls can itself be a bit slow once you pass a certain point. But the benefits of instancing still remain. Worth a thought.

I do wish the initial way of working you mentioned were possible. It'd make quite a few tasks much easier!

edit: Also, the following solution to converting points to nulls might make the process faster, so you can do the placement in the original model. Then copy the instance to all the nulls. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?94475-Points-to-Nulls

lertola2
03-02-2016, 07:20 AM
I don't know if this helps with what you are trying to achieve but DP Instancer can make instances on instances. In the attached example the blue cubes are instanced onto the red. Then the red are instanced onto the yellow with the blue cubes going along. You can't do that with Lightwave's instances.

Kaptive
03-02-2016, 09:11 AM
I don't know if this helps with what you are trying to achieve but DP Instancer can make instances on instances. In the attached example the blue cubes are instanced onto the red. Then the red are instanced onto the yellow with the blue cubes going along. You can't do that with Lightwave's instances.

Good to know, thanks.

spherical
03-02-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't know if this helps with what you are trying to achieve but DP Instancer can make instances on instances. In the attached example the blue cubes are instanced onto the red. Then the red are instanced onto the yellow with the blue cubes going along.

Ah, yes, I recall that now. Thanks for jogging the grey matter.

Snosrap
03-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys and especially lertola2, that is exactly what I want to do. I'll give DP Instance a shot. I've used it a little in the past but I find LW's implementation is easier to work with. But I'll give it a shot.

prometheus
03-02-2016, 04:53 PM
weird..I am getting old, I knew that dp instance can do that, the question is why I only can say A and not B, I need more vitamines nowadays ..I do.

Michael