PDA

View Full Version : [animation] Noisy channel ... time clamped ?

smartfury
03-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Hi guys

Does it exist a channel modifier or any animation plugins allowing to add noise to an animation channel... but not all the time.
I'm searching for something like Noisy channel, but I would like to control the parameters (at least on/off) over time.

Currently, I use oscillator as Motion Modifier (not a channel modifier) as it allow to set range to animation effect, but oscillator do...an oscillation :)
I would like a noisy effect if possible

thanks all :)

daforum
03-01-2016, 01:12 PM
There is a LW tutorial by William Vaughn where he turns on autokey and animates while playing the timeline so autokey records the movement applied to an object/ camera etc.

Its called something like "create handheld camera"...

smartfury
03-01-2016, 02:02 PM
I see, but I d'ont want to write down keys, I would like to keep control over the keys to animates them...
just want to add "dynamicaly" a noise on predefined channels during part of the animation.
thanks anyway

ericsmith
03-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Expressions can make this easy. Create a null (ie. called "noise"), apply the noise to whatever channel makes sense (ie position x). Create another null for a "switch". create an expression like "[noise.Position.X] * [switch.Position.X]". Apply this expression to the channel you ultimately want the noise on, and then use the X position of the switch null to turn it on and off (when the X position is at 0, there will be no noise, at 1, it will be full).

If you need to be able to manually move around the object on the channel you've applied the noise to, you can make the expression "Value + [noise.Position.X] * [switch.Position.X]", or use a parent null to move it around, leaving the object to just vibrate.

Eric

smartfury
03-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Ah yes... expression... new for me...
I'm back on lightwave after a long time, so I guess I need to be "back to school" :)
Ok, It's a perfect occasion to experiment that

thanks a lot mate

MonroePoteet
03-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Another possibility would be to use Nodal Motion with a Gradient on the frame number to clamp the motion and a Procedural Texture for the noisy motion. Attached is a sample scene. The node setup in Nodal Motion on the Camera uses a combination of moving Turbulence textures (they're moved by changing the X and Y positions with a Linear post-behavior) to generate something akin to a "Noisy Channel". This is then multiplied by the Alpha output of a Gradient, whose input is the Frame number. The Alpha value of the keys in the Gradient go from 0% (no noise on the channel) to 100% (full noise). To avoid an abrupt change from the "no noise" to "full noise", there are Bezier keys surrounding the changes at about frames 40, 80 and 120 to smooth the Alpha value.

Hope it helps.

mTp

smartfury
03-01-2016, 02:29 PM
he he seems very clever too
Will test that too

Thanks so much

ernpchan
03-01-2016, 05:15 PM
This one has animateable parameters.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/noisy-channel-2/

Ztreem
03-01-2016, 06:39 PM
This one has animateable parameters.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/noisy-channel-2/

Nice find. NT should replace the old noisy channel with this one.

Last time I used noisy channel I applied it to a null and then used same as item with an envelope to drive my real object.

jeric_synergy
03-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Last time I used noisy channel I applied it to a null and then used same as item with an envelope to drive my real object.
Clever! :bowdown:

smartfury
03-01-2016, 11:21 PM
noisy channel 2 was clearly the good candidate... but I don't find it in the list of modifier after added it. is there any issue with LW2015.3 ?

smartfury
03-01-2016, 11:23 PM
ok, DOn't know what happened, I can see Noisychannel 2 in the list now... it seems we have to restart LW completly after added the plug in.
good to know.
Then this plug do exactly what needed

thanks all for help

smartfury
03-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Expressions can make this easy. Create a null (ie. called "noise"), apply the noise to whatever channel makes sense (ie position x). Create another null for a "switch". create an expression like "[noise.Position.X] * [switch.Position.X]". Apply this expression to the channel you ultimately want the noise on, and then use the X position of the switch null to turn it on and off (when the X position is at 0, there will be no noise, at 1, it will be full).
Eric

mmm... Not sure I did all correctly.
When you say 0 = no noise, and 1 = full noise, what is 0 and 1 ? As the postion will be 0 ok, but 1 what? mm, cm, m ?
And I would like to ADD the noise to existing curve.
(PS I'm using a null with noise in Y axis, and a switch as mentionned. applying the expression to the Y channel of target object result to neutralise my target object existing animation... I tryed to use ADD to see the result... and nothing happen except my target object use its curve correctly ^^)

MonroePoteet
03-02-2016, 04:23 PM
In LW, one meter will be 1.0, while 1cm will be 0.01 and 1mm will be .001. To add the noise to the existing keyframes, use the keyword "Value" in your expression.

Attached is a sample scene. NoisyNull has the Noisy Channel modifier on the Y channel. ControllerNull's Y position is used to scale the noise applied to the Camera's Y channel. The Camera's Y channel has an Expression applied called ScaledNoiseChannel which is :

Value + ([NoisyNull.Position.Y] * [ControllerNull.Position.Y])

"Value" is the keyword to access the Keyframed motion. If ControllerNull's Y is 0.1m, one tenth of the noise will be applied to the Camera. If ControllerNull is at Y=1.0m, then the full noise will be applied to the Camera's Y position.

mTp

smartfury
03-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Ah ok, "Value" was what I needed
thanks a lot for theses infos.

I tried using channel follower, it works pretty well too
I will try this too

once again thanks all for your reactivity and accuracy