PDA

View Full Version : Should you animate with HDRI and Radiosity?

unstable
02-28-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm working on a little animation and am using an HDRI and radiosity but notice a flickering on some materials. I think I've seen comments in the forum before about it not being good to render an animation with radiosity turned on. Is this true? Or do I need to make certain adjustments so the textures don't have the flicker? The flicker isn't terrible, but its noticeable.

spherical
02-28-2016, 03:57 PM
There are well documented solutions to Radiosity/GI flicker on these forums. Rather than continue another thread on the subject, I'd suggest a search, either using Advanced Search > Search Single Content Type or Google by pointing to site:forums.newtek.com

chikega
02-28-2016, 10:48 PM
You may want to check out this tutorial by Craig, aka Rebelhill. He truly is a fountain of knowledge - well worth the $20 for the full length tutorial on cmivfx.

Lightwave Global Illumination Rendering - Tutorial - cmiVFX

https://vimeo.com/moondeer/gi

DrStrik9
02-29-2016, 05:41 PM
There are well documented solutions to Radiosity/GI flicker on these forums. Rather than continue another thread on the subject, I'd suggest a search, either using Advanced Search > Search Single Content Type or Google by pointing to site:forums.newtek.com

I think the OP posts a valid question, whether it has been discussed in the past or not. I did a forums search, and really didn't come up with much that isn't years old. The LW renderer has been updated more than once in various ways since 2012, for instance, and some of that newer info could be addressed with a new thread on this topic, IMO.

The last time I did a GI animation in LW, it had an altered HDR lightprobe for getting accurate caustics, which at 1920x1080, took a LONG time to render without noise. Importance Sampling helps, but the real work was done with greatly increased light and shading samples. https://youtu.be/U2rpdQJuVR0

RebelHillís video on LW 11 radiosity rendering is informative, but is really about rendering still radiosity ó so not much help on rendering animated radiosity. It very well could be worth paying for that other tutorial on animated radiosity.

In my experience, good animated radiosity is possible in LW, but itís very expensive.

vonpietro
02-29-2016, 06:59 PM
anyone know if the new pbr renderer will have these issues?

DrStrik9
02-29-2016, 08:06 PM

I don't think there is a way to know, until it's released, and we can find out first hand. It would seem PBR will be more efficient in general, so that alone "could" bring faster GI renders. But until we can experiment with it, I'm only guessing.

Ztreem
02-29-2016, 11:39 PM
I always use GI in my animations just turn off interpolated and everything is fine. Depending on your scene you will have to optimize the render settings so you get decent render times.

vipvip242
03-01-2016, 02:27 AM

i hope the new LW 2016 PBR engine will not flick (with no cache calculating), normally not as it is 'PBR' : AFAIK, exept special settings with DL/Pathracing, PBR engines do not flick, that's the case for Octane or Blender Cycles...

spherical
03-01-2016, 02:51 AM
I always use GI in my animations just turn off interpolated and everything is fine. Depending on your scene you will have to optimize the render settings so you get decent render times.

And there ya go...!

OFF
03-01-2016, 03:56 AM
In the LW 2015 you need only turn "on" Importance Sampling BG in Render Global - > Global Illum tab. And turn "off" the interpolated type of GI. That's all.

unstable
03-02-2016, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks. I learned one important thing from this immediately. One or two settings can certainly increase the time it takes to render. LOL My frame was rendering at 2.5 minutes. Just deselecting the interpolated type increased the render to days (I'm guessing) because it took a couple of hours to complete 1% of the render. I think I may put up with the slight flickering for now and revisit this a little later. :D But thanks for all your input.

Ztreem
03-02-2016, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks. I learned one important thing from this immediately. One or two settings can certainly increase the time it takes to render. LOL My frame was rendering at 2.5 minutes. Just deselecting the interpolated type increased the render to days (I'm guessing) because it took a couple of hours to complete 1% of the render. I think I may put up with the slight flickering for now and revisit this a little later. :D But thanks for all your input.

Yes, you have to change your settings.

Change to something like this.
Shading samples to 1
Radiosity samples to 5
In camera use addaptive sampling set it to: min samples to 1 and max to 12.
If its too noisy set the max samples higher.