PDA

View Full Version : Still problems with 3D Coat normal maps and LW 2015?

Spinland
02-28-2016, 12:14 PM
I seem to be having the same issues that I'm seeing talked about from years ago. I UV mapped and textured a LW mesh inside of 3D Coat and when I open the new LWO file in Layout the normal maps show ugly seams. If I disable nodes on the textures in question the problems go away but I'm left with no texture displacement. Here are two renders of the same model, the second with nodes turned off.

132601 132600

I've tried various normals presets in the 3DC preferences panel but with no idea what I'm doing I'm flying blind. Are there settings in 3DC 4.5 that will fix this problem in LW 2015? If not, does anyone know of a workaround?

Many thanks in advance!

Spinland
02-28-2016, 07:22 PM
For whatever it's worth, for now I've just abandoned trying to use the normal map channel. The nodal editor gives me a ton of options for just using the nmap textures via the bump channel and I've added several scalar tweak nodes to give me a lot of control. Working fine and no ugly seams.

djwaterman
02-28-2016, 11:30 PM
When you bring a normal map into Layout you must change it's color space to linear in the image editor. Did you do this?

Spinland
02-29-2016, 05:43 AM
Wow. And just like that problem solved. THANK YOU!

I do so much reading and watching of training videos in my down time, but there's so much knowledge out there I do miss embarrassingly obvious things at times. :twak:

Fortunately the LW community rocks hard core. Thanks again!

djwaterman
02-29-2016, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't call it embarrassingly obvious. I was using normal maps for a while before I realized they needed to be converted to linear.

Spinland
02-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Thanks for that. I allow I have a problem with being too hard on myself at times. :D

Ma3rk
02-29-2016, 11:09 AM
When you bring a normal map into Layout you must change it's color space to linear in the image editor. Did you do this?

Well, that's good to know.