PDA

View Full Version : Is there an "Add Edge" tool/Plugin/script?

pming
02-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Hiya!

I'm finding myself in need more and more often with a tool that lets me add edges arbitrarily. Basically, I need something that is the equivalent of XSI's "Add Edge" tool. I don't want to add a loop, nor do I want to simply 'connect' two or more edges and then move/tweak/slide points around to where I actually want them. I want to be able to just select the tool, then "draw new edges as needed" from edge to edge to edge to edge...etc. Kind of like "outlining" some particular area or shape on an object so that when I smooth it, it's got sharper edges or rounded to where I want/need.

Does something like this exist in Lightwave 11.6.3? Or maybe as a plugin? Free, btw...I can't afford bupkiss right now (yes, that means even $20 is too much).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

prometheus
02-28-2016, 12:13 PM
I donīt know about xsi...you got some edge tools that I would think should do it though
under detail/edges...you got edit edges, hover over the edge and right mouse click to add edges where a point shows up, left mouse to move the edges.
you also got the add edges under that tab..under more.

if you work in edge mode and have all edges selected, you can use multiply/extend/more...edge bevel, but work in edge mode with selected edges.

chamfer also works to round some stuff.

Sensei
02-28-2016, 03:48 PM
I'm finding myself in need more and more often with a tool that lets me add edges arbitrarily.

It's done in 2005, EasySplit
http://easysplit.trueart.eu
Simply click LMB, move mouse, release button, and new edge is created between them..

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/EasySplit_Knife.gif

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/EasySplit_Knife_Complex.gif

Does something like this exist in Lightwave 11.6.3?

Yes, all LW from v6.x to 2015..

Or maybe as a plugin?

Yes. It's not possible to do such thing in script..

Free,

Do you work for free also? You should if you demand people working for free for you..

btw...I can't afford bupkiss right now (yes, that means even $20 is too much).

That's problem..

erikals
02-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Divide Edge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAwMGktq-VI

or, Multiply/Slice

Snosrap
02-29-2016, 06:56 AM
Add Edges is what you are looking for I believe.

prometheus
02-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Do you work for free also? You should if you demand people working for free for you..

There are enough tools in my opinion with edit edges if you know how to use it, and add edges..cost you nothing except for the investment in lightwave.
I think he just asked for free solution, itīs not necessary to mock his request about it, there are lotīs of developers doing things for free..or just have a donate button, artsphere have made some nice scripts available for free on his site..and he also specificly worked on a script which I needed...almost upon request, so his on my payroll for donations...soon.

Michael

pming
02-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Hiya!

Snosrap, that was almost exactly what I was looking for (if I could just "click, click, click, click" etc rather than select a circle, drag, select another, drag, select another drag, etc...it would be perfect). The Edge tool thing from TrueArt looks really sweet...mind you, pretty much all his plugins look sweet. However, many of them should have been incorporated as standard tools into LW a *long* time ago, AFAIC. Lightwave has a million and one tools...of which just about all of them could have been reduced and incorporated into a significantly less amount of tools. For example, a "split" tool should be context sensitive so that if I click and drag on a vertex...It creates a vertex that I can drag to another location. if I have an edge selected, I can split it (like the tool above). if I have a Polygon selected, it would divide the polygon into four polygons (like a 'localized subdivide' I guess). It just makes sense for a modern 3d app to have all these wonderful advances in technology and, just as importantly, workflow. The whole "deselecting" thing in LW is a nightmare, IMHO. At least 2015 fixed this (it did fix that, right? I remember reading about that... that was the major thing that almost had me bite the bullet back then and upgrade...almost...).

Anyway, thanks all for your help! :)

EDIT: PS: Yeah, I work for free sometimes...probably why I don't have much money! ;) But I'm cool with that. I'm happy, my wife and daughter are happy, and even though I have a bunch of "challenges" thrown at me the last couple of years, no worries. Life's too short to worry about such minor things as money, toys, "stuff", and all that. I enjoy doing 3D, so I do 3D. The money I get from it on occasion is just a bonus. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

prometheus
02-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Hiya!

Snosrap, that was almost exactly what I was looking for (if I could just "click, click, click, click" etc rather than select a circle, drag, select another, drag, select another drag, etc...it would be perfect). The Edge tool thing from TrueArt looks really sweet...mind you, pretty much all his plugins look sweet. However, many of them should have been incorporated as standard tools into LW a *long* time ago, AFAIC. Lightwave has a million and one tools...of which just about all of them could have been reduced and incorporated into a significantly less amount of tools. For example, a "split" tool should be context sensitive so that if I click and drag on a vertex...It creates a vertex that I can drag to another location. if I have an edge selected, I can split it (like the tool above). if I have a Polygon selected, it would divide the polygon into four polygons (like a 'localized subdivide' I guess). It just makes sense for a modern 3d app to have all these wonderful advances in technology and, just as importantly, workflow. The whole "deselecting" thing in LW is a nightmare, IMHO. At least 2015 fixed this (it did fix that, right? I remember reading about that... that was the major thing that almost had me bite the bullet back then and upgrade...almost...).

Anyway, thanks all for your help! :)

EDIT: PS: Yeah, I work for free sometimes...probably why I don't have much money! ;) But I'm cool with that. I'm happy, my wife and daughter are happy, and even though I have a bunch of "challenges" thrown at me the last couple of years, no worries. Life's too short to worry about such minor things as money, toys, "stuff", and all that. I enjoy doing 3D, so I do 3D. The money I get from it on occasion is just a bonus. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

What ..didnīt I get credit for pointing you to add edges, I was first before snosrap if you read my post carefully:D
Next Im gonna debit for my suggestions if they are not taken seriously:D

Snosrap
02-29-2016, 06:20 PM
What ..didnīt I get credit for pointing you to add edges, I was first before snosrap if you read my post carefully:D
Next Im gonna debit for my suggestions if they are not taken seriously:D prometheus - he who communicates best wins! :)

djwaterman
02-29-2016, 07:41 PM
There's also slice, which is a bit more immediate than add edges, you need to experiment to see how it works.

It's more freeform, add edges is good if you need to maintain consistant specific distance from edges, you can dial that in.

jeric_synergy
03-01-2016, 12:45 AM
..didnīt I get credit for pointing you to add edges, I was first before snosrap if you read my post carefully:D
Perhaps you should learn to use the shift key.

erikals
03-01-2016, 02:01 AM
pming  ...if I could just "click, click, click, click" etc rather than select a circle, drag, select another, drag, select another drag...
...should have been incorporated as standard tools into LW a *long* time ago, AFAIC.
...Lightwave has a million and one tools...
...just makes sense for a modern 3d app to have all these wonderful advances in technology and, just as importantly, workflow.

Modeler - Fixes / Updates - http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139159

...the whole "deselecting" thing in LW is a nightmare, IMHO. At least 2015 fixed this (it did fix that, right?
I remember reading about that... that was the major thing that almost had me bite the bullet back then and upgrade...almost...

Abzolutely... i made an AHK script that solved that some time ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcw4fx3Mzs

i think there will be quite some time before we see major Modeler enhancements
LWG also need to hire a Modeler programmer

hrgiger
03-01-2016, 05:40 AM

For the most part I agree but adding edges is such a fundamental aspect of modeling, its not something I should ever need a 3rd party solution for.

prometheus
03-01-2016, 06:52 AM
prometheus - he who communicates best wins! :)

he..yeah, I know...I actually thought I should describe the tool rather than just mentioning it in the same sentence as edit edges...so you did a better job communicating. :) so I suspected someone would jump in and repeat what I mentioned, but with a better description, so I am just whining for the sake of whining:D and I was trying to keep things short, but is making up for it now :)

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps you should learn to use the shift key.

?

JoePoe
03-01-2016, 02:54 PM
?

He said..... USE THE SHIFT KEY!! :D

Snosrap
03-01-2016, 05:52 PM
he..yeah, i know...i actually thought i should describe the tool rather than just mentioning it in the same sentence as edit edges...so you did a better job communicating. :) so i suspected someone would jump in and repeat what i mentioned, but with a better description, so i am just whining for the sake of whining:d and i was trying to keep things short, but is making up for it now :)

:) :) :)