PDA

View Full Version : Dielectric node problem

Wirre
02-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Hello i'm trying to use Dielectric node in the Node editor but i can't get it to be in any color i wan't in Layout
it will only be dark and i have same settings from Modeler but there i have color at the Dielectric node
but not in Layout and when i render it's black what ever i use of settings. Being trying to follow some tutorials but i fail because that.
Will be very glad if someone has an answear to me

Windows 7, Lightwave 2015.3 (win64)
//Kenneth

spherical
02-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Hmmm... Never had this happen and, as many may attest, I use Dielectric a LOT. As debugging steps check: Ray Recursion Limit too low, Raytrace Transparency on/off, corrupted configs... I'm sure there's something obvious that I'm missing. I'll think on it more after I've downed my espresso. :D

Can you post a screen grab of your node tree, so we can take a look at that?

madno
02-29-2016, 12:47 AM
Could be that you don't have anything in the scene, the dielectric can interact with.

One more information:
In my quick hack scene I used a LW standard light. Those LW light types are not reflected in a dielectric (you don't get a reflection of the light on the dielectric surface). If you want reflections of "lights" you need to either use backdrops (e.g. a hdr image that includes only bright areas that represent lights) or you can put geometry into the scene and set it's luminance value very high (in that case the geometry acts as a light and can also be seen in reflections). For this to look nice you might want to activate Global Illumination in the Render Gobals panel (as dielectric tries to simulate the real world, and real world normally includes indirect light, it looks nice to have GI in the scene).

In this scene the LW light is off. Only the sphere contributes to the lighting

spherical
02-29-2016, 02:52 AM
Actually, there isn't enough information included in the original post from which to diagnose what is [not] happening. A simple scene file to examine or even just a couple of renders and screen grab of the node tree would do wonders in that regard. Lacking that necessary basic information, we're all just p***ing in the wind.

kopperdrake
02-29-2016, 07:42 AM
Yep - could be overlapping polygons, single-sided object, no scene to interact with, too much absorption, etc etc. Could you upload the scene and object file Kenneth?

Wirre
02-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Hello i have take some basic screens from Layout and Modeler with an simple ball. What i was trying from start was following tutorial to create water by the Dielectric node

Thank you

//Kenneth

BeeVee
03-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Try having other things in your scene - adding a gradient backdrop (Ctrl-F5) at least would help.

B

kopperdrake
03-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Yep - that's it. There's nothing for the material to reflect or refract, only a black background. One of the simplest things to do would be to grab an HDRI spherical image (try this link http://texturify.com/category/environment-panoramas.html or this link http://hdri-skies.com/ and use the Image World plugin under the Add Environment drop down in the Backdrop tab in the Effects panel. Use that with radiosity turned on, this will give you a fake world which your glass ball can interact with.

Amurrell
03-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Your same settings with a simple gradient backdrop.

Of course I did use subpatches and smoothed the surface, but that's not the important part.

Wirre
03-06-2016, 10:47 AM
ok i try the backdrop active and it's better i will play with the settings, thank you all for all help

LW user only workt with ver 4 and 5 then i stop, bought from ver 9-2015 never use now i will and again thank you

//Kenneth