PDA

View Full Version : Polybrush - cool new 3d software

OFF
02-27-2016, 02:29 AM
Polybrush is a 3D editor for 3D concept art, fast modeling and sculpting. It was created by artist for artists.
One of main features is a customizable user brushes. You can create brushes from any object and make any set of parameters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4_h1FTiQ_g&ab_channel=Polybrush

http://polybrush.org/

hrgiger
02-27-2016, 02:53 AM
I tried the demo. I found it a bit sluggish. And it seems to generate a lot of nonsensical geometry. Its interesting as a concept tool sketching in 3D but I doubt I'll use it much.

OFF
02-27-2016, 03:40 AM
As I understand it is an attempt to make a modeling alike drawing. Interesting idea, but i can't see how to use in my work. Maybe when algorithm of dynamic meshing will be improved, and then the tool will be more accurate and predictable...

erikals
02-27-2016, 04:06 AM
...it seems to generate a lot of nonsensical geometry. Its interesting as a concept tool sketching in 3D but I doubt I'll use it much.

at first glance i thought the same... :/

djwaterman
02-27-2016, 06:39 AM
I downloaded it because it looks cool as a quick visualization tool, drawing out the form as a 3D sketch to get a feel for actual dimension and not worrying about geometry or detail so much. However, so much weird and wonderful software out there, will I have the time to even install and open it let alone learn it. But it looks nice to me.

MichaelT
02-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Just tried it, and it wasn't very sluggish at all. Maybe I have a faster machine? I also fairly quickly got the grasp on how it is supposed to work, and I do see the benefit. This is just the same thing as I otherwise do when doing concept art, but this time with geometry, and actual 3d space. Blocking out main features is really quite quick. I'll keep trying it for a while, but my initial impression is that it is indeed, very useful. My main worry here is what initial price he will set for the tool? Too expensive and the growth would stop, and another company like Adobe would do it themselves. And that would be it. Another would be if he got tricked by being 'employed' by a company. Like what Pixologic did with the author of Sculptris. Where he got employed with the promise of developing Sculptris, only to see it die.

calilifestyle
02-28-2016, 12:41 AM
i cant even down load it

OFF
02-28-2016, 12:47 AM
Why? Link didn't work?

calilifestyle
02-28-2016, 01:40 AM
The zip file says not a valid file

OFF
02-28-2016, 01:49 AM
Hmm, try to open file by another archive software - Winrar, 7zip, etc...

hrgiger
02-28-2016, 03:09 AM
Just tried it, and it wasn't very sluggish at all. Maybe I have a faster machine?

My machine is fine and I have no problem pushing millions of polygons in Zbrush or 3DC. If you try some of the different 3D brushes, it pales it comparison to the performance I get in either of the aforementioned apps. I'm not saying its sluggish in general, but with some of the 3D brushes and once you get a decent amount of geometry, it gets a bit sluggish. It also creates a lot of strange geometry and I only see an obj export (maybe I missed others?) so it just doesn't seem like a great tool for creating refined meshes.

Kaptive
02-28-2016, 03:57 AM
Very interesting. Love the 3d drawing thing... I'll have to give it a try. Like others, I'm unsure of its overall usefulness to general users. I think its best use (having watched the vid) is when you see the building being drawn/roughed out... a very useful design tool. Might have to give it a whirl for my film. But I'm not sure how much this will appeal to general users and fit into workflows. It feels a bit like when the laser was invented, very cool, but with no identifiable use. Not that it has no use, but it's just quite different.
On a total side note... I was watching the video, and about half way through I notice the music, and I start to wonder if I left some demonic game playing in the background. Weirdest choice of music I've heard for a commercial video in a long while :)

edit: Not saying the music is bad by the way, just very different!

Also, I've downloaded it and given it a very quick try. I did wrestle with it a bit... but that's my fault for just trying it without actually reading/watching any instructions. Will give it another go later.

lightscape
03-01-2016, 02:20 PM
This guy will probably get hired by pixo soon.
Maybe Newtek should hire him. They need all the help they can get with modelling tools.

circleofsmoke
03-01-2016, 04:10 PM
hmm PC only though

calilifestyle
03-01-2016, 06:07 PM
132692132692 Anyone getting a virus warning

jwiede
03-02-2016, 12:32 PM
132692132692 Anyone getting a virus warning

Yes, here as well, different AV/AM pkg but complaining about same malware being present.

calilifestyle
03-02-2016, 12:56 PM
http://polybrush.org/?page=2 at the bottom something about staying calm. I don't think i understand

jwiede
03-02-2016, 06:14 PM
http://polybrush.org/?page=2 at the bottom something about staying calm. I don't think i understand

Yes, just sounds like his own AV/AM confirmed his system IS infected, from what I could understand. Hopefully he means something else, though.

Folks who downloaded and ran the Polybrush setup app might seriously want to scan their systems for malware, just in case.

seghier
03-02-2016, 06:20 PM
From official facebook page :
Arseniy Korablev‎ - Polybrush
Polybrush 0.421
For anyone who had a problems with crash at the start / beginning of drawing - try to download the new version. I found a computer with such problem and fix it. Problem occurred because of openGL version, if so, the error will be displayed at the bottom.
I also added ability to link Workplane rotating to camera (use "cam" button at top panel) and add the program icon.
Everyone who have problems with antivirus - apparently this is beta version protector. I picked a clean program (my old game), protected it, and VirusTotal found viruses.
http://polybrush.org/?page=3

calilifestyle
03-03-2016, 02:24 AM
Well here is a scan of the file online https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/fc7c537bc33167bb831ac5f39c48a45debe9e74968fcb9a59c 2b153a454ca882/analysis/

JamesCurtis
03-03-2016, 02:11 PM
When I downloaded the .exe I had no issues. Scanned the .exe after download was complete and Avast reported no viruses. Only issue I had is that for some reason the installed program doesn't have an Polybrush icon per-say. just a generic[?] .exe icon.

Program works fine, except that because I don't have a pressure sensitive graphics pen or pad attached to my system, I can't test that. I do have a Bamboo tablet and may see about attaching that. Tough to be honest I'd like a Cintiq [ora generic from Monoprice to try out.

MichaelT
03-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Yes, just sounds like his own AV/AM confirmed his system IS infected, from what I could understand. Hopefully he means something else, though.

Folks who downloaded and ran the Polybrush setup app might seriously want to scan their systems for malware, just in case.

That is not what he says though (despite his broken english) he says it is a false positive. I also did an analyze of the executable, and he is using an exe packer (he removed the ID for it) which is probably what triggered the alarm. Many packers do have this issue. Especially kkrunchy, which (although perfectly fine, the source code is on github) is used by many malware. I prefer UPX myself, and just mess it up it a bit. But so far no alarm have tripped for me (yet :) )

calilifestyle
03-03-2016, 04:52 PM
I know maybe some one can help him fix this . I really don't want to take a chance on my system.

jwiede
03-03-2016, 06:37 PM
That is not what he says though (despite his broken english) he says it is a false positive. I also did an analyze of the executable, and he is using an exe packer (he removed the ID for it) which is probably what triggered the alarm. Many packers do have this issue. Especially kkrunchy, which (although perfectly fine, the source code is on github) is used by many malware. I prefer UPX myself, and just mess it up it a bit. But so far no alarm have tripped for me (yet :) )

Sorry, but buying into the whole "he just used a exe-packer" argument is just asking for trouble. Such packers intentionally _conceal_ the final app executable's code from AV/AM scanners, thereby allowing people to incorporate malware into the final exe without setting off scanners looking for known or suspicious-looking code sequences. There's little to no legitimate reason to continue to use exe packers anymore, and a few incredibly strong and compelling reasons not to do so (preventing concealed malware is a huge reason).

He won't get a proper app signing key, he won't expose the executable to malware checkers, etc. such that all we have is his word that it doesn't contain malware? No thanks, not good enough, IMO. If he wants the problem to go away, he should remove the executable packer and distribute it exposed so that AV/AM software can check the contents properly.

jeric_synergy
03-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Man, you guys are harshing my buzz: really wanted to have a go at it. ::sigh::

Thanks for the warnings nonetheless.

MichaelT
03-04-2016, 02:24 AM
Sorry, but buying into the whole "he just used a exe-packer" argument is just asking for trouble. Such packers intentionally _conceal_ the final app executable's code from AV/AM scanners, thereby allowing people to incorporate malware into the final exe without setting off scanners looking for known or suspicious-looking code sequences. There's little to no legitimate reason to continue to use exe packers anymore, and a few incredibly strong and compelling reasons not to do so (preventing concealed malware is a huge reason).

He won't get a proper app signing key, he won't expose the executable to malware checkers, etc. such that all we have is his word that it doesn't contain malware? No thanks, not good enough, IMO. If he wants the problem to go away, he should remove the executable packer and distribute it exposed so that AV/AM software can check the contents properly.

He uses an exe packer for the same reason as other companies use Denuvo. To protect his code. It is easy enough to test what it does anyway. Use a program like Sandboxie. And I recommend that in any case, for people who would like to test programs, but are uncertain if they are safe.

jwiede
03-04-2016, 11:18 AM
He uses an exe packer for the same reason as other companies use Denuvo. To protect his code.

Exe packers aren't going prevent even a mildly-interested cracker from getting access to the naked code. Just the act of attempting to hide the code all but guarantees someone has already cracked and dumped it. As with most ill-considered content protection schemes, his customers (potential customers, in this case) wind up inconvenienced and endangered in the name of protecting something that isn't actually protected at all.

Sorry, but I'll pass regardless, I'm not willing to put the hygiene of my system at repeated risk just because some dev is arrogant enough to put their desires ahead of their users' security and safety. Anyone who chooses to do so, I'll recommend you closely sandbox-check not just this first release, but every subsequent release as well -- the risk is as severe with each update release as with the original.

Content protection that puts users at risk shouldn't be supported.

OFF
05-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Polybrush 0.44 (free beta until June)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zfZFA0Uyeo

features (main)
- new brush libraries UI: more compact previews, you can swap brushes between libraries, open few libraries together and more.
- textures : you can show images at workplane, drop it to scene, or assign to objects
- new modificators: uv, mesh relax/sharpen, remesh effects, etc.
- merge all layers/merge with previous

bug fix (main)
- bones fix : you can use workplane, brush radius changes new bone node radius, node delete button
- radius dependency for range brushes
- normal cursor allign for sculpting tools
- workplane reset fix

http://polybrush.org/

Author : "..I plan to sell it for $20.." :)

jeric_synergy
05-01-2016, 10:50 AM
:thumbsup: Holy smoke, that is CRAZY.

+++++++++++++
Installs into 32bit Program folder. So, I'm guessing not 64bit.

Crashes immediately on my laptop. My LT is pretty lame, very likely a grfx card issue.

MichaelT
05-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Nice :) But I do think you need to take an effort to try and rid yourself of the false positives. It will deter people from using it. Only 4 out of 57 so it is generally good. But F-Prot remains, so try and contact them to get it resolved :) (F-Secure & F-Prot are the same, so if one of them says OK, it is probably a minor mistake on their part) They usually respond quickly. But again.. nice job.. looks cool.