PDA

View Full Version : System Questions

tw video
12-10-2003, 01:30 PM
i am about to retro-fit my system for the new VT3. It was configured for TV-2 with a 1.9g P4. The new setup is going to run dual xeon 2.8 with 533 frontside, 2 gig of ddr ram and some other goodies. my question lies at this: would i be better running windows 2000 or XP? i know both have their advantages, but i would like to know what some people have experienced.
Thanks

Jim_C
12-10-2003, 01:49 PM
XP is faster at all rendering and saving tests I ran when I had a dual boot with 2k and XP. T3 on both.
Xp came out on top in every thing I threw at it.

XP Restore points rock also.

2k does NOT support hyperthreading.

Jim Capillo
12-10-2003, 03:08 PM
As Jim says....

XP for sure !

tw video
12-10-2003, 03:30 PM
thanks guys.....

the input has been very helpful. One more question, when i do upgrade to xp...which will be before i put VT3 on there.... when i go to install VT3, is it going to mess anything up on my video drives? they are 3 large scsii systems. i dont think i should but i figured i should ask. I didnt know how the new build of VT would like the drives already setup and with data on them.

Jim Capillo
12-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Personally, I don't know the answer to that, but guessing, I bet it sees them. There probably have been millions upgrading to XP from W2K and it would be crazy to have to reformat the drives just so XP could see them.

Jim_C
12-10-2003, 04:11 PM
You'll have to import foreign disks than reactivate using Local Disk mgmt, thats about it.
No loss.