PDA

View Full Version : Instance color doesn't match the input color

S0nny
02-26-2016, 04:46 AM
Hi guys,
I was having problems with color corrispondence between textures on instances in one of my scene and I was blaming the material setup, and since I couldn't understand where the problem was coming from, I ended up doing this simple test:

The image shows a basic setup for coloring instances with just two colors, a medium gray (128.128.128) and a Red (200.0.0). The color inputs are the same as the keys gradient, but as you can see the instances have four different colors, not two. The output coming from the color input is not right (it looks like gamma corrected to me, but I'm not sure).

Feeding the medium grey 128.128.128 gives a much darker than using 128.128.128 inside the gradient, same for the red, but it's the same using textures also.
It doesn't happen with pure 255 values like Red 255.0.0.

Here the zipped .srf in attach

Sensei
02-26-2016, 08:31 AM
I just watch screen-shot: it looks like typical color-space conversion issue.
Disable color-space, and check again.

You can use my TrueArt's Node Library http://www.trueart.eu to convert color from one color-space to other color-space, and back.

S0nny
02-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks sensei, it is indeed a problem in cs: switching to linear from srgb give me the right color and your node fix the problem back in srgb.

But I don't understand why when the color pass through the gradient it converts the input: doesn't the gradient node supposed to be aware of the color space?