PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Can't open LWO

SonicMotion
02-25-2016, 11:02 PM
I saved a LWO file and exited both modeler and layout. I rebooted my machine and now I can't open the LWO in modeler or layout. It crashes both applications with now message other than "Layout has stopped working correctly.

Any advice?

Chris

meshpig
02-25-2016, 11:08 PM
Mac or PC? Does it have the right file extension? Upload it so we can have a look.

SonicMotion
02-25-2016, 11:13 PM
PC, LW version 11.6.3

Thank you for helping.

meshpig
02-25-2016, 11:26 PM
There's something dodgy in the file. Confirm error message :)

SonicMotion
02-25-2016, 11:28 PM
Lame, I wonder what happened? Nothing crashed or caused an issue when I closed it then rebooted...

meshpig
02-25-2016, 11:30 PM
Did it have lots of unresolved geometry like 1 point polys and overlaps? Plugin issues? Happens sometimes, could also be an hardware problem like the drive you're writing to is dying but that would be a worst case.

SonicMotion
02-25-2016, 11:36 PM
The geometry was clean and I just finished surfacing and low rez rendering a preview. I even sent that preview off for client approval... my only hope is they change something :)

meshpig
02-25-2016, 11:39 PM
Good luck :)

SonicMotion
02-25-2016, 11:44 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate the help.

Lewis
02-26-2016, 12:20 AM
Something is very weird here, instant crash also.

Try this one, this opens but there is no surfaces or anything after I did conversion.

Ma3rk
02-26-2016, 12:29 AM
PC, LW version 11.6.3

Thank you for helping.

FWIW, yes the file crashed Modeler when attempting to open. Using MooTools 3D Browser, I could view the object and then save it out; I chose to use the obj format. Modeler was able to open the resulting obj file.

Have no idea what to tell you other that it's possibly just Evil Spirits.

SonicMotion
02-26-2016, 12:35 AM
Lewis, yes I was able to open your fixed version up. Since the model looks in tact, I'm guessing that something with the surfacing I did broke the file. Too bad to, because I thought I had done a good job.

Ma3rk, I was able to get blender to open it but same problem with it opening without surfaces. Oh well, maybe when I surface it again I will do an even better job.

Lewis
02-26-2016, 12:57 AM
Don't you have your file before you sent it to client and they sent it back ?

Danner
02-26-2016, 02:27 AM
Turn on Autosave to avoid future panics. The name is misleading it doesn't overwrite what you are doing, it backs up everything you do to a folder periodically. Set it to 15 or 30 min intervals, it's important to note that modeler or layout might seem to freeze for a few seconds while its saving large objects. Even with autosave turned off, if you had your object synchronized between modeler and layout there IS a temp version of it saved in your system drive in a directory like this: C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub

kopperdrake
02-26-2016, 03:56 AM
It's a sad story, but I have to admit, having lost files in the past when the power goes out mid-save, and other nasty events, I am a rabid shift-S saver. It's not rare that I have over a 100 versions of a model saved out, regularly, and I delete the old ones once the project's finished. That way I never have more than 30 minutes of wasted time (and even 30 minutes can be tedious doing the same thing again!). Same goes for scene files, and I've even moved that practice to other files, like images. I know about the auto-save, but I like the control over *when* I've completed a stage of work I feel worthy of saving out.

Danner
02-26-2016, 04:26 AM
Like I said, Auto Save has a misleading name, it will not save your file, you still have control over when you save it. it will make a backup somewhere else automagically

JoePoe
02-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Lewis, how did you do the conversion? And was it as simple as opening and re-saving, or was "fixing" needed.

SonicMotion, I too opened in Blender and brought the obj back into LW. But when I did I had all this "stuff".

A simple select connected of all the craziness and delete and the model was (FAIAP) okay.

Lewis
02-26-2016, 10:37 AM
I just opened it in DeepExploration and saved as another LWO.

SonicMotion
02-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Seems like autosave should be enabled by default, like how adobe does it.

https://twitter.com/worsteditorever/status/697142821694779392

Kaptive
02-26-2016, 12:07 PM
I tried a few methods of recovering this object this morning before I went out, but nothing worked. Glad some data has been retrieved. Though, it got me thinking, have you looked in the lwhub folder where LW makes backup copies?

Should be located in:... C:\Users\YourProfileName\AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub

Though this doesn't always seem to save everything, it occasionally has what you need. That said, I'm assuming that it is related to the autosave mentioned earlier, so maybe I'm just repeating what others have said. Still, worth a look!

SonicMotion
02-26-2016, 03:24 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look.

SonicMotion
02-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Kaptive, this worked!! There was an older version of my file there, shading in tact. You rock!!

Lewis, I never sent them the file for review, just renders.

Danner
02-26-2016, 11:53 PM
I tried a few methods of recovering this object this morning before I went out, but nothing worked. Glad some data has been retrieved. Though, it got me thinking, have you looked in the lwhub folder where LW makes backup copies?

Should be located in:... C:\Users\YourProfileName\AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub

Though this doesn't always seem to save everything, it occasionally has what you need. That said, I'm assuming that it is related to the autosave mentioned earlier, so maybe I'm just repeating what others have said. Still, worth a look!

As I explained in post 14, that is not the autosave location, it's the hub temp file location. The reason it doesn't save everything is that for the hub to work your object has to be open and synchronized in both apps (layout and modeler). The autosave folder is called Backup and it's created inside your content directory.

Kaptive
02-27-2016, 02:45 AM
As I explained in post 14, that is not the autosave location, it's the hub temp file location. The reason it doesn't save everything is that for the hub to work your object has to be open and synchronized in both apps (layout and modeler). The autosave folder is called Backup and it's created inside your content directory.

Ah right, thanks for the recap/pointer Danner. Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush and didn't have time to read back it all, merely scanned it... just wanted to help SonicMotion get back up and running asap.
Thank you kindly for the info though. Maybe I don't have autosave turned on(?) I've never seen a Backup folder in my content directory, ever! I've always been in a (what I consider a very good) habit of saving object increments regularly, so rarely worry about this type of thing. I'll look into it!

However, on the plus note... looks like my suggestion worked! Awesome!!! :D Very glad that sorted you out Sonic! I nearly didn't mention it, but glad I did now :) And I also now know exactly why the lwhub folder only saves certain objects thanks to Danner... win win all round I'd say!

Kaptive
02-27-2016, 02:52 AM
Turn on Autosave to avoid future panics. The name is misleading it doesn't overwrite what you are doing, it backs up everything you do to a folder periodically. Set it to 15 or 30 min intervals, it's important to note that modeler or layout might seem to freeze for a few seconds while its saving large objects. Even with autosave turned off, if you had your object synchronized between modeler and layout there IS a temp version of it saved in your system drive in a directory like this: C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub

Oh yeah! Well, damn me! You did even mention the lwhub folder too! Didn't see that! Credit to Danner for being a proper smarty pants and suggesting it first hehe. Don't know how I missed that!

djwaterman
02-27-2016, 06:47 AM
This is all good to know, didn't realize I had all that old crap saved in that temp folder, but it might save me one day.

SonicMotion
02-27-2016, 05:03 PM
Danner, thanks for your help as well, this forum is the best.