PDA

View Full Version : Camera view equivalent in modeler

Aww167
02-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Hello,
I'm trying to replicate the exact view as displayed in the modeler perspective viewport of a scene that I'm now trying to render in layout and I'm having difficulty finding the correct camera, lens focal length etc. I'm currently using the classic camera and I thought it could be somewhere in the region of 16-20mm lens focal length, but this doesn't give me the view I need - there are several critical aspects of the scene not the same as when viewing it in the modeler perspective viewport. I've tried playing around with various cameras but just seem to be getting more confused so I wondered, does anyone know what the equivalent layout camera setting is when viewing a scene in modeler?
Thanks in advance for any help.

djwaterman
02-25-2016, 08:25 PM
The only thing you have to play with is the perspective amount in the display options. This type of modeler/layout camera matching will be introduced in the next version of LW.

spherical
02-25-2016, 09:56 PM
I don't think the OP is interested in changing Modeler's perspective amount, but rather looking for a way to find a Layout Camera Focal Length that matches what is seen in Modeler. Never tried, so don't know if it is possible but there should be a setting that is close. Just have to play with it.

One way comes to mind that may work. Just create a simple model that has 4 cubes in the distance and one way smaller cube in the foreground. Move the distant cubes so that their corners align with the outer corners of the foreground cube. This sets a viewpoint. Bring the 5 cube model into Layout and play with the Focal Length and position until the Modeler relationship of cubes is reproduced. Then you have a number that can be input for future use. However, thinking as I type, the variable that can mess this up is the zoom level in Modeler's Perspective, so it may not be possible just from that alone; as AFAIK there isn't a way to quantify what the viewport zoom amount is.

djwaterman
02-26-2016, 12:52 AM
Well perspective amount in Modeler is the only way to simulate a different lens type, and rotating and moving about in the perspective view is the only way to try to match whatever camera angle is happening in Layout. There's no science, just match by eye. The perspective view in Modeler unfortunately isn't really a camera as such.

djwaterman
02-26-2016, 12:57 AM
Oh I see, you're trying to do the reverse, match Layout to Modeler. why would you need to do that actually?

Aww167
02-26-2016, 01:05 AM
@ DJ.Waterman; Well perspective amount in Modeler is the only way to simulate a different lens type, and rotating and moving about in the perspective view is the only way to try to match whatever camera angle is happening in Layout. There's no science, just match by eye. The perspective view in Modeler unfortunately isn't really a camera as such.

Thanks for your reply - that's very interesting to hear!! I can't wait to see the next version - obviously I'll have to, but hopefully not for too long. I'm just surprised that this is even an issue, albeit a very minor irritation and certainly not a complaint as such. LW - in my very limited experience as I'm a relative newcomer to 3D, is a great deal of fun to play with and once over the initial hurdles seems to offer so many possibilities to a budding artist/designer. My apologies that the question was not phrased as clearly as I'd intended but I take it you mean that it will be possible to configure the exact same camera perspective in layout as displayed in modeler, so that both views are identical in every respect?

Aww167
02-26-2016, 01:52 AM
@DJ.Waterman "Oh I see, you're trying to do the reverse, match Layout to Modeler. why would you need to do that actually?"

Well, to answer your question simply, I'm relatively inexperienced in 3D, so that will probably explain much! Basically, I'm trying to work out a scene on real-world measurements, which will be used to visualize several different options for a kind of small 'museum display' of equipment our company has in the past produced. This is a pet project my employer has decided upon. In modeler it looks great to me. Part of the problem is that the designated area to be used for the display is in a relatively small corner of a larger office area, and so to present it in as effective and appealing way as I can, I've decided on a perspective that I think works, at least in modeler it does for me! It would help if I was more experienced with camera lens settings, but that's a relatively small matter of trying a broad range of the available selections I think. I was really just surprised to find that the two views (m & l) don't already match exactly, but of course there's really no single default in layout as in modeler, is there? - so it's more a matter of choices, it seems!
Actually, I think I've just realised that it's probably my own perspective on the work that I should change!! I get so hung up on measurements sometimes that I fall into the trap of thinking everything can be mathematically configured - maybe it can but it would drive me mad so I think I just have to accept my current limitations and work on expanding my skills!!

Aww167
02-26-2016, 02:09 AM
I don't think the OP is interested in changing Modeler's perspective amount, but rather looking for a way to find a Layout Camera Focal Length that matches what is seen in Modeler. Never tried, so don't know if it is possible but there should be a setting that is close. Just have to play with it.

One way comes to mind that may work. Just create a simple model that has 4 cubes in the distance and one way smaller cube in the foreground. Move the distant cubes so that their corners align with the outer corners of the foreground cube. This sets a viewpoint. Bring the 5 cube model into Layout and play with the Focal Length and position until the Modeler relationship of cubes is reproduced. Then you have a number that can be input for future use. However, thinking as I type, the variable that can mess this up is the zoom level in Modeler's Perspective, so it may not be possible just from that alone; as AFAIK there isn't a way to quantify what the viewport zoom amount is.

Thanks for that, - the kind of idea that appeals to my instincts for simplicity and order, as well as configuring a rather useful template. I will play around with that and see what I can learn.

kopperdrake
02-26-2016, 04:02 AM
Could you make a quick bunch of rectangular objects in Modeler and use the Match Perspective tool in Layout to get a camera close to the one you're after?

Aww167
02-26-2016, 04:40 AM
Could you make a quick bunch of rectangular objects in Modeler and use the Match Perspective tool in Layout to get a camera close to the one you're after?

Another good idea - thanks for that one too. I hadn't got round to using that tool yet but your idea gives me a purposeful approach for getting to grips with it.

kopperdrake
02-26-2016, 04:45 AM
It's quick and easy to use :thumbsup:

spherical
02-26-2016, 03:28 PM

d00d, you changed your avatar. Didn't know it was you. :) If I grok your meaning, Match Perspective doesn't match the Perspective viewport in Modeler, it matches the one in Layout. So, I'm guessing that the workflow would be to try to visually match the perspective views between the two applications and then run Match Perspective?