PDA

View Full Version : Need help parenting

SWOCC Studios
12-10-2003, 01:23 PM
We are a working on a project where we have an animated logo with hands (no arms) and a microphone. I am trying to grab the microphone with the hand and working on parenting it. However how can I parent it so that it isn't parented all the time. Is there a key frame for that? Or what would be the best way to get these two objects to move cohesively?

Thanks!!!

meshmaster
12-10-2003, 02:11 PM
but doesn't the child move when parent moves, but if child is moved and parent is not, then it should move by itself...

SWOCC Studios
12-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Yes but they are two seperate objects, all I want is the microphone to stay attached to the hand when I grab the microphone,

The hand is parented to the body (in modeler), the microphone a seperate object I parented to the hand when I got in lightwave (Not modeler) however I have the hand moving around before it picks up the mic. I don't want the microphone to move until I pick up the mic with the hand. then I want the mic to stay put in the hand when I rotate the hand. Help!!! :)

Tom Wood
12-10-2003, 03:10 PM
It's called dynamic parenting. Run a search, and you'll get several hits including this one:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14835

in LW Tips & Tricks.

EDIT: I actually need dynamic targeting for a scene, but I don't think that's available. As a workaround, I'm animating up to the point of the need for targeting as one scene, then creating a new scene that takes it from there with targeting turned on. Should work for parenting as well.

TW

SplineGod
12-11-2003, 02:59 AM
There are two basic ways:
The "old" where you have two versions of the mic, one always in the characters hand but dissolved out. When he "grabs" the mic you dissolve out the standing mic and dissolve in the mic in his hand. Simple yet effective. ;)
Option two is to use the Parenter plugin that comes with LW to do dynamic parenting. :)

Alec Trevelyan
12-11-2003, 10:32 PM
"Use the rod, beat the child--that's my motto!"

munky
12-12-2003, 04:57 AM
Hi There

You can also check out Worleys polk collection which has a Parenter plugin which allows parents to be parents over a defined number of frames then change to the next parent and so on. It also lets you have the child divorce itself from the channels of the parent if you say wanted to keep the childs orientation as its own . But it does cost money about $199 I think.

hope this helps

regards

paul