PDA

View Full Version : transitioning from perpetual software licenses

roboman
02-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Well this sucks, Delcam / Artcam are now going Subscription-based. It might not really be that big of a deal, I may not need / want to update for a quite a while. CAM programs change 3D object files into a file that a computer controlled machine can use to cut that object from some material. The language to control those machines hasn't changed in a very long time and Delcam / Artcam already do nearly every thing I need. I guess that is a big part of the problem, lots of software does every thing most people need, so they aren't upgrading much and companies aren't selling as much software as they use to. Adding things people want and need is also likely becoming harder and more costly. Guess I need to be really careful with my CAM dongle now.....

I remember when Lightwave came out, it was about the only thing out there for any thing other then a major studio. Later there were lots of options, but things were changing fast with lots of updates. Now I guess it's getting harder to get people to upgrade. Subscription-based software is an answer I'm not happy with. Blender seems to have found an odd niche, get people to donate, then get them to donate again for an update and movie, along with the source files from the movie, in most cases. Daz gives the software away for free, but sells 3d objects, poses and motion files. Seems to work well for them. Just selling software does seem to be getting harder

JonW
02-23-2016, 10:08 PM
I basically don't do any more 3d work, retired, but I like to have a fiddle around with 3d every now and then, & enjoy it. But if it came to subscription that is the end for me. Simply no point. Same with 2d software!

spherical
02-24-2016, 01:31 AM
Tell 'em to take their subscription and stuff it. Take a look at BlenderCAM (http://blendercam.blogspot.fi/), Does everything we need for our mill, and more that I have yet to explore. Here's a couple of shots of a recent project done with it: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129505-3D-Printing-Makerbot-and-other-home-Desktop-Printers-Feedback&p=1450208&viewfull=1#post1450208

KurtF
02-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Those of us who are old, remember not having to pay for Television. You stuck this antennae thing into the air and watched T.V. for free. Once the providers figured out a way to start milking the public of their money, it's been down hill.

spherical
02-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Those of us who are old, remember not having to pay for Television. You stuck this antennae thing into the air and watched T.V. for free. Once the providers figured out a way to start milking the public of their money, it's been down hill.

Well, it was "for free" with commercials. Now, it's both not for free and with commercials.

Rayek
02-24-2016, 11:38 PM

You are still watching television? I stopped doing that almost a decade ago. Now you pay for the internet and download tv series for free without commercials.

pmwhite
02-25-2016, 06:10 AM
Wow it must be great to have goo internet speeds. I have 1mb connection, which isn't good for streaming tv.

hrgiger
03-01-2016, 05:36 AM
If software subscription is affordable, I have no problem with it. I dont think we ever have to worry about Lightwave going subscription, but I wouldnt mind seeing them offer it as a alternative.

SBowie
03-01-2016, 07:51 AM
Those of us who are old, remember not having to pay for Television. You stuck this antennae thing into the air and watched T.V. for free.Just to see if it worked, I made a coat-hanger antenna and connected it to the antenna input on my HDTV. After scanning, I get about >30 local channels over the air in HD. About half of those are Spanish language, but I do get all the major English local network affiliates without any trouble at all, and the image quality is stellar.

I'm still paying for cable, but it's increasingly tempting to drop it. I'd say that more than half of our viewing in online rather than traditional.

Spinland
03-01-2016, 08:46 AM

That's still how I get my TV, apart from the rare couple of shows I get via streaming services. The old antenna on my roof is now a shiny new digital one but I'm not a cable TV supporter.

GandB
03-04-2016, 08:24 AM
We dropped cable after we moved recently. We weren't watching it much at all anyways. We stream Netflix, Amazon Prime (mostly got it for the free shipping, but has many series on it that Netflix doesn't), and pay for the CBS Apps (she still likes some of her shows). All in all; I think we pay around $25/month. That's it. As far as software goes; I still have my LW 9.6 (still up in the air about updating.....*cough* Game Dev *cough*), PS CS5, and I now use Blender. So the others can do whatever they want.

bobakabob
03-06-2016, 02:49 AM
Subscription sucks and I'll go back to pen and paper gladly, if necessary.
Thankfully LW hasn't followed that route, Blender is a good safety net and there are enough good image editors to compete with Photoshop. I use Maya but only through work and education... The commercial subs here in the uk are ridiculous.

I love Premier Pro but does anyone have any good recommendations for alternative non sub Windows video editors?