PDA

View Full Version : Going the other way: Lightwave to Poser?

Spinland
02-23-2016, 06:13 AM
I personally would never want to work in Poser (just my preference) but a friend who doesn't use Lightwave but who does use Poser asked me about my ability to share some rigged assets with him.

I just tried opening one of my rigged (bones and joints using Rhiggit Pro 2) models, exporting it as FBX, and then opening that in Poser Pro 11 as a preliminary exploration. The model itself came over fine (it recognized there were morphs but I haven't yet explored how could leverage those, if at all) but the rig itself looked a proper mess.

I tried some preliminary searches but am getting a lot of threads whose titles don't leap out at me as relevant. Before I invest a lot of time trying to come up with a workflow (assuming one exists) whereby I can help him out, can some kind soul(s) share some tips and/or point me to useful information related to the process? I know this is asking you to spare me legitimate effort but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks much in advance! :D

Spinland
02-24-2016, 02:23 AM
Okay, so, in the unlikely case anyone else ever wants to try to do this, I'll pop by this thread now and then and share what I learn.

First step appears to be getting a better understanding of how LW handles FBX, especially in the context of Rhiggit. Where better to do that than on Rebel Hill's YouTube channel? Here's the first of five foundational videos on the subject; good stuff.

Understanding LW and FBX part 1 (https://youtu.be/clia07kKtKs)

calilifestyle
02-25-2016, 03:57 PM
http://www.creativebloq.com/animation/rbwy-anime-action-dynamic-3d-twist-9134477

Spinland
02-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Many kudos to your production, and I am very happy to see someone having real success using Poser as a primary tool.

In the context of my original question: I note you mentioned bringing Maya assets into Poser. I would be interested in the actual nuts and bolts process, and how that would apply to LW instead of Maya. I'm seeing that FBX seems to be the translation medium that holds the most promise; is that estimation correct? What forms of FBX work best with Poser Pro 11 (there are several options, plus the ascii versus binary choice) and are there need-to-know considerations for preparing the asset for conversion and transfer to Poser?

Thanks in advance!

calilifestyle
02-26-2016, 04:07 PM
I know sorry man. It's something i also had been looking for awhile back not sure what would work best. I know that you can import Collada also.