PDA

View Full Version : Blender adds support for openVDB, what if LW next...

Ztreem
02-22-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm just dreaming a little here, I just read that Blender adds support for OpenVDB in its latest release. What if LW next also supports OpenVDB? then maybe we can import smoke,fire and liquid simulations from blender into LW and render with the new volumetric render engine. Wouldn't that be nice!

prometheus
02-23-2016, 07:14 AM
I'm just dreaming a little here, I just read that Blender adds support for OpenVDB in its latest release. What if LW next also supports OpenVDB? then maybe we can import smoke,fire and liquid simulations from blender into LW and render with the new volumetric render engine. Wouldn't that be nice!

I think I saw Lino mentioning that he would discuss openvdb in upcoming blogs, maybe I am wrong? to me it sounded that they were in the progress of implementing it.

Tested the smoke stuff in blender, and it seems decent enough for some things, at least it reacts to all other forces and easy to set up with quick smoke, what I do not like about it..that is rendering and setting and controlling the colors and density, I would rather spend time tweaking such stuff with turbulenceFD.

You might think..but I could render in lightwave then, but I guess you would have to go through the process of rendering with other tools ..that needs to care care of color and density too, so I have no clue on how effective that would be.

m.d.
02-23-2016, 09:40 AM
openVDB can be more then smoke and volumetrics .....it would be very handy for liquids as well

erikals
02-23-2016, 01:12 PM
What if LW next also supports OpenVDB
it will, so they said... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

seghier
02-25-2016, 01:56 PM
i tested it , nice features
i hope lightwave can import and export vdb files

hrgiger
02-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Pretty sure its been mentioned that Open VDB will be in LightWave Next.

jwiede
02-26-2016, 11:33 AM

Which could mean almost anything, of course. Hopefully LW3DG will give a bit more info on what level of OpenVDB support/integration is present in LW 2016/Next.

hrgiger
02-27-2016, 02:58 AM
Which could mean almost anything, of course. Hopefully LW3DG will give a bit more info on what level of OpenVDB support/integration is present in LW 2016/Next.

Well it means of course more then not addressing the format at all. I'm sure we'll find out eventually by the time it comes closer to release.

erikals
02-27-2016, 03:44 AM

yep, Lino mentioned it

pinkmouse
02-27-2016, 05:58 AM
IIRC, it was a yes, but not initially.