PDA

View Full Version : 3D-Coat in & out ?

sandman300
02-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Hey, Anyone know the best way to import into and export out (lwo subpatch object) of 3D-coat. Then I noticed that in V4 things changed a bit. Now there is stretching in the textures that I can't account for. I thought it might be the UV interpolation but as far as I can tell it's not. I have gotten it to work by exporting a mid-level mesh, and (as a separate method) by subdividing 2 times the original mesh and importing without sub-d (BTW the subdividing method makes less polys then exporting a mid-level mesh). Personally I like keeping my meshes as light as possible. On the other hand, I don't know if this is actually 3D-coat or if Lightwave 2015 is the issue, or I could just be doing something dumb. I asked at the 3D-coat forums but it seems as though noone there uses lightwave.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

lightscape
02-21-2016, 09:17 PM
Have you set your uv mode to linear, subd, etc?
Ime 3dc works best with linear uvs.

sandman300
02-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I tried that. models come in by default as linear, none of the other modes worked any better.

Edit: Could it be because there isn't a "Normal map software Preset" for Lightwave?

Dodgy
02-22-2016, 05:34 AM
The normal map setting is for choosing which colour is up and down/left and right on the normal map. Some packages have green as "up" some as "down". The UV Set Smoothing setting is what you want to look at. No smoothing is equivalent to Linear, but that can compress stuff in corners for subd objects, Full UV Set Smoothing is equivalent to Subdivision in LW, and Linear corners and edges are equivalent. I tend to use whatever looks best in LW, and then use the equivalent setting in 3d Coat.