PDA

View Full Version : Best direct video export codecs ?

smartfury
02-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Hi there

Does anyone know what is the best video export from LW ?

I would like to export video directly from LW (no AFX or any post prod) in clean and light video format.

Options proposed by LW are not really up to date and give poor or heavy videos.

I'm running LW 2015.3 64 on Win10.

thanks

lightscape
02-21-2016, 08:35 AM
You should avoid rendering to video. If the renderer crashes at any point you will have to start rendering from scratch. No renderer is crash proof.
There's tons of free software to compile image sequences into a video that is better and safer way.

smartfury
02-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Yep I know, but it was to allow quick video save and share without intervention.
anyway, thanks for help

Surrealist.
02-21-2016, 10:45 AM
I have had pretty good luck with Quicktime saving out from LightWave. Try different codecs and compression types. Like H.264 for example which seems to work pretty good.

smartfury
02-21-2016, 11:46 AM
arrrhhh Quicktime... :P
So I used, as I did long time ago, virtualdub, that do the job pretty good finally :)

prometheus
02-21-2016, 01:27 PM
quick time mov..in the Lightwave animation output options panel, set compression type to animation ..gives the best quality, but higher file size.
Next to that...quick time mode with compression set to h264, though I often see a decline/change in gamma profil when finished, so you might need to set a filter correction, but itīs hard to get exactly the contrast and brightness as it should be, often turn out a bit brighter and bleached out..so that is why I suggested the quicktime animation.

Those are the mostly used ones for me..especially for vpr previews, otherwise..for serious workflow, render out to png32 or tga32 and composite it in the free fusion ..if you do not have after effects.

Michael

rustythe1
02-21-2016, 04:48 PM
would "make preview" bottom right be better for what you are looking for , it renders the open GL screen to a previewer that can then be directly saved as a video, on windows 10 I can only seem to get one of the Microsoft videos to work, but its small and very fast to render (about real time play back to save)

prometheus
02-21-2016, 05:16 PM
would "make preview" bottom right be better for what you are looking for , it renders the open GL screen to a previewer that can then be directly saved as a video, on windows 10 I can only seem to get one of the Microsoft videos to work, but its small and very fast to render (about real time play back to save)

donīt think that is what he wantīs ..not initially, I believe he wants to render out animations fully, not just previews.
then the make preview is not only for openGL previews, it can handle rendering out animations of course..but only VPR renders..not final renders, in some occasions that may do though.

smartfury
02-22-2016, 02:37 AM
anyway pvr render could be cool too
I never did animation export with it, could we limit the vpr quality ? like we did with Fprime... in another life :)

BeeVee
02-22-2016, 03:47 AM
Yes, you can. Hit d for Display Options and choose Undock Preview window. For the Preview Scale you can leave it at Antialiased, which is final VPR quality; choose 1 pixel, which is final quality without AA; 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 give lower and lower levels of quality and become faster and faster to render. I install XViD and Lagarith for when I want to make VPR renders because as you say, the standard ones are poor (but they are what is installed with Windows, LightWave has no video codec).

B
PS. Be aware that XViD will only work at resolutions divisible by 4 in both directions. The Undock default of 640x480 works fine, but be aware that if you set a custom resolution it might not encode.

Chrusion
02-22-2016, 12:43 PM
quick time... set to h264, though I often see a decline/change in gamma profil when finished... a bit brighter and bleached out. This is a known issue with QT .h264 on windows and has been for 7 yrs or more. It can be corrected if one has QT Pro. Open the Movie Properties window, video track page, Visualizations tab, and set Alpha Blend mode to Straight Alpha. You should see the black level drop to near normal value, which takes care of the gamma issue that washes out the color. Ctrl-S to save the movie.

Also, if you rename the extension from .mov to .mp4, Windows Media Player will be able to play the file, which doesn't suffer this same gamma issue and plays .h264 videos perfectly smooth full screen at exact frame rate (no judder, stutter), compared to QT, which plays 720 30p at 10 fps full screen and full of stuttering (using a Quadro K2000 vid card).

rustythe1
02-22-2016, 01:45 PM
donīt think that is what he wantīs ..not initially, I believe he wants to render out animations fully, not just previews.
then the make preview is not only for openGL previews, it can handle rendering out animations of course..but only VPR renders..not final renders, in some occasions that may do though.

Actually, once you have clicked make preview, then click end preview on the player box, in the bottom right you then get the option to save the preview, in the options change the codec to what ever you want and it saves the open gl as a video instead of a loaded preview, I got the impression he wants to export a video to show for proof, this is what I use for clients as it runs as fast as a screen recorder, and if you turn off grids etc it gives you a as good as using "smooth shade" instead of "realistic" in render settings in a fraction of the time,