PDA

View Full Version : Texturing The North Face?

objuan
02-19-2016, 07:31 PM
I'm trying to texture a large landscape, mostly kind of rolling sand dunes. I'd like to texture them so that the non wind blown faces have that kind of rippled effect. Like this picture. http://media-1.web.britannica.com/eb-media/42/150942-004-8ADC0D21.jpg

I made a nice tiled ripple bump texture, and I've been playing with using a Gradient - Slope texture to alpha my ripples. But I also want a similar gradient to alpha so only faces with normals pointing left get the texture. Is there a way to do that?

Also, is there a way to distinguish between the top of hills and the bottom of dips? Both have the same Slope, but I'd like to texture them differently. I can sort of get away with using a gradient on Y from pivot, but I'd like to be able to texture little dimples on top of hills, as well as the deep valleys.

Thanks as always.

prometheus
02-19-2016, 09:05 PM
is there much else in the scene? if not I might suggest displacement to catch shadow and light and all that depth that comes with a dune landscape..even though it seem to be enough with texturing..
heck I think I even did some nice ripple over dune effects by simply using the new texture options in modeler, canīt go as high in division levels though as directly in layout with subdivs, but it would offer better local control on where to place things.

for texturing..I would probably use painted weightmap in those areas you need to place more specific ripples, in layout add the procedural or image map over the weight layer, tweak with vpr open for best feedback.

prometheus
02-19-2016, 09:15 PM
Then again..I thought it should be enough using slope and bump as you have...not quite sure if I follow you exactly how you want it.

You could also try sculptris and paint in textures directly where you want them, though you canīt use procedurals and have to use textures.

objuan
02-20-2016, 02:38 AM
I'm not 100% sure what I'm going for, hence the desire to experiment - but basically I want to have my bump map on the slopes of only 1 side of the dunes. Like in this picture: http://media-1.web.britannica.com/eb-media/42/150942-004-8ADC0D21.jpg where the ripples face us, but the sides of the dunes are smooth.

Essentially I want to tell LW, apply this ripple bump map only to faces with normals pointing to a heading of between 0° - 90° and in a set Slope range.

I did indeed "model" my dunes via several displacement maps on a flat plane, which I then Save Transformed back into Modeler to skip the time the Render spends "Mesh Freezing"

Weight maps is a good idea, but I was hoping to find a more automated procedural approach...

spherical
02-20-2016, 03:37 AM
I'd suggest Select > Select By Normal and specify the direction and angle range, then apply whatever procedurals/textures you like to those polys. Could add a weight map to soften the boundary between those polys and ones that are adjacent.

objuan
02-20-2016, 03:57 AM
I think that will do the trick, thanks guys!

ianr
02-20-2016, 09:11 AM
If your animating,

a little section of instanced strip emitters of particles

for a sand spray off the living edge of the top wave

of the dune, could sell it.

prometheus
02-20-2016, 07:00 PM
I'm not 100% sure what I'm going for, hence the desire to experiment - but basically I want to have my bump map on the slopes of only 1 side of the dunes. Like in this picture: http://media-1.web.britannica.com/eb-media/42/150942-004-8ADC0D21.jpg where the ripples face us, but the sides of the dunes are smooth.

Essentially I want to tell LW, apply this ripple bump map only to faces with normals pointing to a heading of between 0° - 90° and in a set Slope range.

I did indeed "model" my dunes via several displacement maps on a flat plane, which I then Save Transformed back into Modeler to skip the time the Render spends "Mesh Freezing"

Weight maps is a good idea, but I was hoping to find a more automated procedural approach...

if you go for full model look and not bump and texturing, and if you got lw 2015, you would have more control over where to place ripples using modeler, cracks, rocks by using size or move with the new texture options, in principle its a bit like sculpting in the deformation locally, important is to use the action center mouse, and also to use point radial falloff, right mouse click and drag to set brush radius when hover over your model to get feedback on influence area.