PDA

View Full Version : How do i close Lightwave when programme locks up?.

cove
02-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Hi.
Need some help again.
Were all familiar with lightwave crashing from time to time.
A nuisence but most of the time no big deal just restart programme.

The issue i have is when lightwave layout simply locks up.
You can move the curser around but clicking on any item has no effect
I can,t even close window down.
My only option is to close all other software and reboot computer.
Its happened to me twice in the last fortnight.

Is there a way to close lightwave down after it has locked up.

Im shore ive read somewere that this can be done just cannot remember
were i read it.
Thanks for any info in reply.

MonroePoteet
02-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Are you on Windows, or Mac? On Windows, what I usually do is bring up the Task Manager (either CTRL-ALT-DEL and select Start Task Manager, or right-click on the Task Bar=>Start Task Manager), select the Processes tab, and then click on the CPU column header. This will sort the processes by their CPU usage. If I see Layout using processor time at the top of the list, I usually give it anywhere from a few minutes to quite a while because Layout is busy with a complex operation of some sort. Layout plugins and developers are *supposed* to provide a "monitor" (i.e. progress bar) to show progress during a long-duration operation, but they sometimes don't.

If I get tired of waiting, or really think LW isn't going to complete, in Task Manager you can Select the Layout process by clicking on it to highlight it, and then right-click and choose "End Process". You'll lose all the work for the current session since your last Save, but you won't have to reboot.

mTp

cove
02-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Hi MonroePoteet
Thanks for quick reply much appreciated.
Sorry i forgot to include basic system details which is --- LW 2015.3 O/S10.
Your answer has told me all i need to know. Will copy paste into text file for future reference.
Mean time ill familiarise myself with the procedure you discribe to the point were you click to "End Process"

If there is no screen lock up over the next few weeks/months then i just hope i remember were my text file is :)

spherical
02-19-2016, 03:31 PM
If you suspect that Layout or Modeler are hung, just do yourself a favor and save a copy of your scene, and any open models if in Modeler, prior to ending the process. If you kill the process mid-stream (it actually isn't hung) you most likely will truncate the write and end up with a useless asset.

MonroePoteet
02-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Yes, definitely try to save everything you can before killing the process. You'll lose anything that hasn't been written to disk when the process is killed.

By O/S 10 do you mean OS/X (as in Mac), or Windows 10? The process I provided is only good on Windows, and I'm running Windows 7. Microsoft may have changed how to monitor or kill a process on Windows 10.

mTp

cove
02-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Thanks spherical and MonroePoteet for reminding me of the importance to save scenes/objects regularly.
I do so as a matter of coarse but do have my lazy moments and have paid the price in lost work a few times.
I think it best that i save twice a week now instead of once a week just to be on the safe side. :)

cove
02-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Are you on Windows, or Mac? On Windows, what I usually do is bring up the Task Manager (either CTRL-ALT-DEL and select Start Task Manager, or right-click on the Task Bar=>Start Task Manager), select the Processes tab, and then click on the CPU column header. This will sort the processes by their CPU usage. If I see Layout using processor time at the top of the list, I usually give it anywhere from a few minutes to quite a while because Layout is busy with a complex operation of some sort. Layout plugins and developers are *supposed* to provide a "monitor" (i.e. progress bar) to show progress during a long-duration operation, but they sometimes don't.

If I get tired of waiting, or really think LW isn't going to complete, in Task Manager you can Select the Layout process by clicking on it to highlight it, and then right-click and choose "End Process". You'll lose all the work for the current session since your last Save, but you won't have to reboot.

mTp

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 [ Previously refered to as O/S 10].

Your advice as to how to close Lightwave down was spot on.
Have used the "End Process" function several times since your reply.
Also i have a better understanding of why my LW Layout has apparently
been locking up.
In your first reply you refer to "plugins". A new plugin i bought a few days ago "TrueArt's True Type plugin" for Layout is the culprit.
It turns out that after typing in some text and then selecting any font style
then the software needs to proccess you choice.
It so happens that most if not all standard fonts will be processed virtually instantly with a few fonts taking maybe a few seconds to several minutes to be processed.
So when a sustained process is taking place your LW window can appear to have locked up.
I think the main issue here is not with standard fonts but with some of the more
Wierd wacky and odd/fun shaped fonts that most of us have aquired. These type of fonts must sometimes be difficult to process hence long proccessing times making it appear that the window has locked up.
Funny enough some of the odd ball ones do get processed quite quickly so all is not lost with odd ball fonts. There is a need here to test fonts and list those that do not process well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote. A line from your earlier post----

"Layout plugins and developers are *supposed* to provide a "monitor" (i.e. progress bar) to show progress during a long-duration operation, but they sometimes don't."

It just so happens that i sent a few comments and suggestions to TruArt tech support
including wether its possible to have a progress bar so we can have some visual idea as to how long a font will take to proccess and i provide there reply as follows----

My question
" Also would adding a progress bar, that appears when processng is going to take more than several seconds, be possible.

TruArt Replied.
Plugin has no idea that generation will take longer time,
so such progress bar would have to appear always.
I don't even know whether Layout even has implemented this part of code from Modeler's ModCommand for handling progress bar (Layout have different progress bars than Modeler at LWSDK programming level)."
End quote.

I responded saying that maybe the next release of lightwave will also have modifications that allow third party developers to add/create features like
progress bars etc.

Anyway enough said i think. Ive worked up a thirst writing this text so im off out now for a pint. I may be sometime.

PS. If you decide to upgrade to Windows 10 and suddenly find that certain aspects of your system/software seem to have a delayed response [eg. 10 to 20 seconds]
then message me and i will tell you what is likley to be the problem and how to resolve it.
For instance click to open some software and takes 10 to 20 seconds to respond same delay if you select to save a file, Save window takes its time to open.
Opening a parameter panel within some software again 10 to 20 seconds to respond etc etc etc.
Its a real downer if you get this problem but dead easy to resolve.

PS 2. Will be glad to provide this info to anyone who has same issue. Message me.

spherical
02-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks spherical and MonroePoteet for reminding me of the importance to save scenes/objects regularly.
I do so as a matter of coarse but do have my lazy moments and have paid the price in lost work a few times.
I think it best that i save twice a week now instead of once a week just to be on the safe side. :)

Heh. I create copies whenever I am working on something for any extended period of time. Then, at the end of the workday, copy all changed files to another drive and then to a drive on a different machine entirely. Takes only a minute. When I copy files into a backup location, instead of overwriting the one file that is there, I have the system number them, so that I have a stored history. Quite often I have needed to go back to an earlier version to retrieve something that I Borked up in the current model or just decided to revert to an earlier configuration. Disk space is cheap and recyclable.