PDA

View Full Version : How to vertex normals map to 3D Coat

toddpickens
02-18-2016, 12:08 PM
I am trying to get a clean workflow from LW to 3D Coat. But i am getting screwed up smoothing, which appears to be related to a lack of a vertex normals map.

I've tried exporting OBJ and FBX. I've also made sure that the "OBJ Write Normals" box is checked under preferences.

I'm completely stuck here. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
132460d.

Sensei
02-18-2016, 12:45 PM
Export .obj from Modeler.

Open .obj in text editor, and check whether "vn" commands are there..
If they are, normals were exported.

Try loading .obj to fresh Modeler, to verify whether normals were loaded back.

ps. You can always bake normal map and use it instead of vertex normals..

rustythe1
02-18-2016, 04:46 PM
would it not just be better to use LWO as 3d coat has direct app link with that (additional plugin needed but you can download from 3d coat forums if it is still about) and can import LWO anyway,

sami
02-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Yes LWOs work fine for situations like you show for me bringing models into 3DCoat. Also if you must export OBJ -hit "o" to bring up the object panel and go to the OBJ tab and make sure "Write Normals" is on. That is, depending on the version of LW you are using...

btw 3DCoat natively imports LWO - you don't need the LW app link plugin - that provides additional functionality and back and forth that I've never personally needed.

djwaterman
02-19-2016, 09:10 PM
I've noticed this too, and I haven't found any solution to it. I try to ignore it and just know that when I bring the object back into Lightwave it will look correct since it's mainly the texture maps I want 3DCoat for.