PDA

View Full Version : Modeler and Maya LT - any tips from experienced Maya users?

MarcusM
02-18-2016, 06:05 AM
I am playing second day with Maya LT (Game Development Software) and already started looking for plugins for Maya ;]
I know i can't have the same workflow from Modeler but trying understand and find shortest way to achieve simmilarities.
I am missing hide/unhide faces/mesh, modeling on layers, combined move in quad view...

Can someone offer helpfull plugins for Maya?

jasonwestmas
02-18-2016, 07:58 AM
"I am missing hide/unhide faces/mesh, modeling on layers, combined move in quad view..."

sounds to me like you just need to learn how maya works. It does these things but not in the same way. Not sure how plugins will help you achieve such fundamentals.

Surrealist.
02-18-2016, 10:54 AM
For Hide and unhide faces look up "isolate selection". Does not really work the same but it is close. I don't think there is a direct way to hide faces oddly. Or maybe Jason can shed some light. If there is I have forgotten how.

There are of course Layers. Works completely differently than Modeler, but learning it you'll see how to use it and build a workflow around it.

Quad Views in Maya is not the same. Because each view is an actual camera. So you won't find and option to lock them together like you can in Modeler. You could however chose the same perspective camera in two views and set up different display types. For instance shaded and wireframe. But that would be about where the similarity would end with Modeler view ports.

For me when I go back and forth between two apps, I find there is always something I miss. But also invariably I find the more I learn in the new app the more I find the things I am looking for that I miss. It just takes time and you have to dig in full on in the new app.

The Maya manual section on Basics is a great place to start.

jasonwestmas
02-18-2016, 11:05 AM
yeah you can hide faces in maya, just select the faces in faces mode and then hit the isolate selected button. Or inverse your selection before you go into isolate mode. You can inverse selection by selecting one or more faces and then marquee select the entire object with shift held down. You can also right click on the model in faces mode and you'll get a menu that has a invert selection option in it.

Gnomon has some awesome starter videos for maya by Eric Keller. http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/1144/Introduction-to-maya-2016#.VsYInvkrJhE

Surrealist.
02-18-2016, 01:21 PM
When I tested it before replying above I noticed it does not isolate the selection but the boarding polys as well. Maybe it is a GC issue? I don't know. But that is out it is working for me on my current machine.

jasonwestmas
02-18-2016, 01:48 PM
yeah could be a graphics card problem but I just use Geforce for everything and it works ok. I remember in older versions of maya the isolate select did only work with objects, not face selections.

MarcusM
02-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks for replies. I can see that there is just one way - get used to.
Inverse selection before isolate is good idea.
Surrealist, yes Maya manual is really good.

Dodgy
02-18-2016, 03:54 PM
The good thing about Maya is it's a lot more is scriptable than modeler, and the script window will show you the commands as they're executed, so it's fairly easy to cut and paste a sequence of commands and make your own plugins to make it more Modeler like.

kqmen
02-18-2016, 04:22 PM
hide mesh is ctrl+h, for polygons you can just cut and past in a new layer or cut them then hide them, the layers can be set as stencil (like the background layer in modeler) locked and hidden

Surrealist.
02-19-2016, 10:00 AM
Yeah also the transparent kind of ghost feature is also helpful and mitigates the need to hide polygons in some cases as well. Another thing I like about Maya that you can lock down a layer as described above and still have it shaded rather than just wire frame. A step better than having it only be black wires as in Modeler.