PDA

View Full Version : Polygons are inside out after loading

Kikyta
02-17-2016, 07:49 PM
Hi all, I'm still learning Lightwave and loaded a few models into the program. To my surprise one of them is completely turned inside out, as in the skin inside the model rather than on the outside. This is a third party model so I can't give you any specifics on the model itself other than it's in FBX format. I imported another model that is in 3DS format and it's skin imported just fine. Is there a simple way to invert the polygons? Or is something potentially more problematic with the first model?

Thanks in advance for the help. I will be happy to offer additional information as I can, as needed.

ernpchan
02-18-2016, 12:06 AM
In Modeler you can flip the polygons. I believe the shortcut key is f.

Farhad_azer
02-19-2016, 09:56 PM
ernpchan is right, you can also turn on the double-sided option in the surface editor.

erikals
02-20-2016, 02:26 AM
there is also the "align" button

details/polygons/align

spherical
02-20-2016, 02:58 AM
All well and good. Some applications create meshes that LightWave considers to be "inside out". Other applications have some of the polys facing correctly (as LightWave sees them—there isn't exactly one correct standard at present) and still others create them in the same manner as LightWave. You just have to deal with each using appropriate methods as they come along. There is no "one fix fits all" and the usual automatic fixes, like Align, most often don't work. Choosing Double-Sided is not normally a preferred solution. In many cases, this forces the renderer to consider more surfaces than necessary.

JamesCurtis
02-21-2016, 03:41 PM
It can also give unwanted render issues depending on the object that has double sided on.

jeric_synergy
02-21-2016, 07:37 PM
To simplify it back down to noobie level:

"Flip" (hotkey f) will reverse polygons.
If they are TRULY 100% insided out, this will solve the issue. That is usually not the case, sadly.

ALIGN will attempt to make all the Selected Polys (and "none=All" as usual) face the same way. Usually one cannot ALIGN the entire object in one go, but by selecting large patches, especially if they are roughly pointing in the same direction, you can usually do large swaths of a mesh, and it doesn't take a horrendouse amount of time. PRO TIP: once you get a bunch of polys facing the same way, "HIDE" them. There will be less visual confusion and Modeler may even run faster. Just keep working until you've HIDDEN everything, then SHOW ALL and wallaugh, you're done. Save IMMEDIATELY under a new name.