PDA

View Full Version : Daz Studio Camera FOV matching in LW

short223
02-12-2016, 11:08 AM
In trying to match the Camera in Daz Studio with LW, I export my camera as an FBX file, with which I then load into LW. This gives me a Null with a Camera attaches with the proper xyz and HPB settings. What I don't seem to get is the Camera Lens properly set. THe default in Daz Studio is 65mm but in LW (after visually trying to match it with a backplate daz render) it appears to be 27mm. Is there a better way / conversion procesdure to get the proper FOV from Daz Studio to LW that I'm missing?

Thanks!

MonroePoteet
02-15-2016, 10:36 AM
I'm no expert, but the discrepancy between the two is due to the difference in the "virtual film size" used in each. For a given Focal Length, the Field of View will be different depending upon the "sensor" or "film" size.

It appears that Daz Studio provides a script for calculating the Horizontal and Vertical FOV for the active camera, here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/rendering/calculate_fov/start

In LW, you can then enter the Horizontal or Vertical FOV directly in the Camera properties using the pull-down which is normally providing Focal Length.

There are other variables involved in the renders (e.g. whether rays entering the lens converge as with a real lens or are parallel as in many virtual lenses, including LW's), but this will probably get you pretty close.

Good luck!
mTp

short223
02-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the link. Did something similar with my company's program. Now I have to figure out how to use this Daz script as my initial attempt to run it didn't seem to do anything.....

objuan
02-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Off, but kind of on topic, can one bring a rigged model from DAZ in to LW, and then animate bones in LW?

short223
02-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Off, but kind of on topic, can one bring a rigged model from DAZ in to LW, and then animate bones in LW?

Yes you can. There are a number of tutorials about using Motion Builder to target Daz models and bring them into LW using MoCap.
One thing to note, you may have a tough time matching the nice deformations you see in DAZ. My preferred method is to do the animations in DAZ and export out an MDD file. Keeps the integrity of any shape morphs and animation and applies it in LW....

magiclight
02-24-2016, 04:36 AM
You can also export a DAZ character to FBX and load it into Lightwave as it is, works without any problems and with IK Booster you can get IK working with very little work, works fine with all "modern" daz characters, older rigs that come from CR2 files can cause some hickup's.

The imported rig will be using only weightmaps for deoformation.

But yes, OBJ/MDD gives better results, but the animation tools in DS is not so fun to work with and you need to pay for the plugin to get MDD export in DS.