PDA

View Full Version : FBX Support..

zogthedoomed
02-10-2016, 09:32 AM
So I've been asking our dev team to support a tool agnostic workflow based around FBX since we work with lot of external people who use a wide range of tools. Great in theory but maybe not in practice. Apart from teh smoothing group issue, I was looking at the FBX files generated by LW and Max and there's a marked difference.

The readable one is Max 2011 fbx export .. the unreadable is Lightwave 2011 export. Admitedly these are being viewed in EditPad Lite but if its failing me its the first time. I'm no coder so maybe this is perfectly fine ...

MonroePoteet
02-10-2016, 03:32 PM
The Autodesk FBX specification allows both ASCII and Binary forms. It looks like the "readable" one from Max is ASCII, while you've exported from LW in Binary. In the Export FBX panel, change the export type to ASCII and see if it helps.

It also appears that the Max ASCII export may be the 2009 version, since that's what the copyright says. If you export in ASCII and the default LW export of FBX201100 (2011 version of FBX) still isn't readable, you might try the FBX200900 export version.

mTp

zogthedoomed
02-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Of course. I asked them (external team) to provide a default FBX expecting it to be the equivalent of Lightwaves.

Yes he was likely using an older copy of Max.

Thanks.

Danner
02-11-2016, 07:41 AM
It's not about the Max version but the flavor of the FBX, It could have been exported in the newest one with an older setting.

Amurrell
02-16-2016, 01:00 PM
I just used the binary format of FBX and it worked great between LW and Blender. For some reason I have been having a lot of issues with exporting obj from LW, with this last time the export ruining the UVs. All imported objects into Blender from LW have issues where edges are marked sharp and need to be cleaned up constantly, no matter what the format.