PDA

View Full Version : Question about rigging a fish!

jaxtone
02-10-2016, 04:24 AM
Hi!

A couple of years ago I found a brilliant tutorial of how to rig a fish with Lightwave only but unfortunately I just looked at it once but never saved the link to this video tutorial.

If someone of you guys know of where to find a good one that explains from the ground without taking hours I would appreciate it!

I don´t mean Lino Grandi´s spline tutorial even if it was nice...

P.S. My plan is to use the flock system in Lightwave for an amount of Neon Tetras... maybe it´s a bad idea to animate the fish´s behavior too much then... all Neon Tetras are supposed to relax and chill for about 5 seconds before they take of from a threat! I plan to let the front fins under the Neon Tetras loop with constantly looped Endomorphs but are not sure if these are energy consuming for the Flocking system but I am totally tired of Lightwave´s CA-system even if it has improved over the years!

J

jaxtone
02-10-2016, 04:27 AM
Oops!

I just found one... I will read and try to understand! I share it if someone will need it but of course still wan´t your input and suggestions as well!

J

http://www.digitalproducer.com/pages/photorealistic_fish_2.htm

jaxtone
02-10-2016, 08:41 AM
I have tried to use Andrews tutorial but as always there are buffers and brakes when you don´t need them...

I wonder about the stiffness function for bones! Has it been replaced in Newteks trashcan or am I blind?

Jack

MonroePoteet
02-10-2016, 10:02 AM
The Stiffness settings are in the Controller and Limits tab of the Motion panel.

However, instead of manually setting up Stiffness, you might consider creating a Gradient Weight Map on the flexible portion of the fish, and then having the Bones affect the geometry according to the Weight Map.

In Modeler, you would create a (new) Weight Map using the W Button in the lower right corner, setting the initial value to 0%. You then bring up the Map=>Weight=>Weights tool, use "n" to bring up the Numeric panel, set the Value to 100% and the Fallof to Linear. You may want to change the shape of the Linear curve to Ease Out or one of the other presets. Then, right-drag along the body and tail of the fish in the appropriate view, and the Weight Map will be loaded in a gradient along the body and tail. Save the model, and then in Layout, select all the Bones of the body / tail in Scene Editor, bring up the Properties panel, and specify the Bone Weight Map for those bones. Note that you do not need to check the box saying "Use Weight Map": if it's specified in the Bone Weight Map, it will take effect.

mTp

jaxtone
02-10-2016, 10:27 AM
MonroePoteet!

Wow, am I a bigger idiot than I thought... the last image in the linked tutorial describe exactly where the Stiffness is to be set! Well I can reveal that my temporary blindness is directly connected to a huge respect and fear for all settings that has to be done to even make a fish swim!

Thanks for the information. I promise I will try the weight map idea and maybe there is some kind of video tutorial to back up your information.

I could tell you why I have a huge problem with everything connected to Lightwaves rigging system but since it all started in 1996 it would take too long time... :)

jaxtone
02-10-2016, 11:52 AM
MonroePoteet!

The fish is doing fine and gets better and better. I haven´t had time to try the weight map suggestion yet. Thought it would be a good idea to finish off what I´ve started first. But I will for sure try it out cause it´s always better to have many options if you get stuck somewhere... and I do : )

Here´s another thing that maybe is an easy thing to manage, if I just knew how!

J

jaxtone
02-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Ok! Sorry to push this forward but just wanna find out if anyone could help me out with the point problem as displayed in the message on top of this?

It was an open question to everyone!

ernpchan
02-11-2016, 12:01 AM
What are you trying to set up? Rotate the trans null and the tail effectors move too? Are the tail nulls parented to the trans null?