PDA

View Full Version : It is possible to get better performance in modeler with SLI?

Photogram
02-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Hello all :)

I wonder if any folks get better performance in modeler with more than one video cards in SLI?

Because i have an opportunity to buy a second GTX780 and i hope Lightwave and especially Modeler can take advantage with 2-Way or even 3 or 4-Way SLI.

spherical
02-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Well, Modeler is currently single threaded on the CPU. All of the calculations are done there. LightWave Next may be different. Boosts in Modeler display speed are made possible by the line manipulation code available in pro cards that are aimed at the CAD market, where manipulation of magnitudes greater numbers of lines is crucial. Consumer cards have this section of code disabled. Same chip, but walled off. SLI is great for poly and texture manipulation. Different tech. Getting a second 780 would be good for GPU rendering, though, as you could dedicate one card for display and the other to the GPU renderer. SLI is not used there, either, even if you render on both cards.

jasonwestmas
02-09-2016, 04:58 PM
nothing really benefits much in LW using beefy GPUs except more texture space display in ogl.

Photogram
02-10-2016, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the precise answer :)
Very instructive!
I am very surprise that Modeler is single threaded...

If i understand well it is a good idea to add a second GPU for modeling in polygon view mode. I understand the need for Quadro cards for line manipulations.
I hope a second GPU will accelerate 3rd Power LWBrush ;)
As for rendering i don't use Octane but i hope someday when i can afford it.
Maybe the new Lightwave render engine use GPU.
Have a good day ;)
Thanks

jasonwestmas
02-10-2016, 10:52 AM
As of now, no, the new LW PBR engine does not use GPU at all. Quadro cards are better at rendering wire-frames than video game cards. That I know for sure.

Photogram
02-10-2016, 11:14 AM

I will look for Quadro bargain.
I was looking for GeForce because when checking the benchmark the GeForce look very more powerfull than Quadro card and less expensive...
But maybe theses scores are relative to gaming usage.
I need to find speed comparaison with 3D softwares and especially Lightwave + Photoshop + After Effect
Thanks for the advices :)

jasonwestmas
02-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Well I've never had to use a lot of wireframes so I just use Geforce with smooth shading. Generally yes the geforce will render surfaces faster than the Quadro for much less money. Also note that surfaces render faster in layout if all your surfaces have smoothing turned on. Could be a geforce limitation, not sure.

Photogram
02-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Hehe yeah i know for the surface shading trick ;)
Hope Modeler Next will get some tweak.
I can't wait to model directly from camera view!!!

madno
02-10-2016, 09:22 PM
Two links:

Regarding tumbling / moving speed in viewport:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?146045-Massive-openGL-Speedup-help

Regarding viewport antialiasing with Quadro:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?146918-better-GL-preview-LWM-and-LWL