PDA

View Full Version : Audio Interface?

stevesecor
02-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Greetings all....

New to the TriCaster system (loving it so far) and wanted to know if there is a audio mixing board that can connect with the system to input all of my external audio via USB instead of the 1/4" input we have on the Mini system. The school also has a rack-mounted system (I don't know the model off hand) but being someone that inputs audio using various I/O boxes I wonder if there is something that I can use with TC?

thanks!

Radio_TVPat1982
02-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Are you talking about taking in live audio or just simply some audio files stored somewhere? If you do mean audio files, you can also import them from a USB thumb drive. I think that can be done on any of the Tricasters.

You may mean taking in live audio during a production. Let me know it that's the case.

stoecklem
02-09-2016, 12:55 PM
I doubt there is any way to do this....but that would certainly be a fantastic feature especially for the mini... allowing an ASIO device installed on the Tricaster to pipe into the Tricaster mixer.

stevesecor
02-09-2016, 01:01 PM
I mean live external audio. so....instead of taking the signal from the output of the mixer to the input of the tricaster I would like to have a digital board that connects via USB (and I assume some sort of plug in or software) to bring my mics in that way

Radio_TVPat1982
02-09-2016, 01:22 PM
I am not sure if this ties in with what you want to do big picture, but I did see that the addition of NDI will allow a lot more options with audio solutions on Tricasters. For instance, if you are producing a basketball game and your broadcast table is across the arena, you could run the audio in to the local network and pull it up as a source using NDI. It would involve a converter right now likely, but soon it may just involve a digital box that can convert sound down the line like a Comrex, or Tie Line or other things that basically do that same thing already.

stevesecor
02-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Yep - I think that would be cool and exactly what I am thinking. Though (depending on the sport and specific game) I might have two commentators, a feed from the house audio, maybe a crowd noise mic (though I can use the SDI input audio for this and then of course the opens/graphics have their audio but that is obviously internal. Also looking into IP cameras for more inputs and specifically using a GoPro or two via IP

Radio_TVPat1982
02-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Looks like AE will be in your near future. For sports, the 4 angles of replay is most exciting to me but I do imagine being able to cut down on say running wires hundreds of feet will also be a huge plus!

PIZAZZ
02-09-2016, 05:00 PM
NDI will be great for video and audio both. I would suggest though for what you are looking for, just use TriCaster Advanced Edition and Dante audio over the network. You can bring in multiple channels of Dante audio into the TriCaster or do a mix down in a Dante compatible audio console. We use Soundcraft Expressions, Yamaha TF, and a Digico SD11 all with Dante cards. If you are on a tight budget, we have also used in the past the Behringer X32 rackmount with a Dante I/O card. The X32 platform is a little harder to get around but there is a large number of users to help.

On the remote side for announcers, you can't beat the Studio Technologies Model 214 Dante announcer boxes. They are amazing. Drop a PoE switch to power them and all you have to run to the units is a single Cat5. Talk about clean up the annc desk.
http://www.studio-tech.com/product_m214.html

For the other misc microphones or line inputs, we use and sell the AtteroTech units. Fantastic gear. Great company.
http://www.atterotech.com/products/dante-dio2x2/ for when you need 2 in and 2 outs
http://www.atterotech.com/products/dante-d4i/ for when you just need 4 audio inputs

Once you move over to networked audio, I can't stress how much easier things are. No more running heavy snakes and mults, no more 100-200' mic cable runs. No more audio DAs needed since you can send 1 mic to multiple destinations on the network. One of the BEST THINGS... No more Ground loops... Your audio is all on the digital domain.

Oh and with that Dante compatible audio console along with the TriCaster AE with Dante, you get a complete digital connection for your audio.

NDI might give us some of these features but it is going to take a while before you are going to have a simple throwdown black box to inject NDI video/audio into your network connection. Dante is out and available immediately.

joseburgos
02-11-2016, 08:14 AM
I 2nd Jef suggestion :)

jkcw0897
02-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Jeff- The dante integration is intriguing. If we were too add this into our production we would be adding the Dante card to the x32. Any further insight on how you make this work, integrate the ifb through dante, potential delay for live, etc... would be appreciated. Hopefully with the addition of NDI soon this whole workflow becomes even easier, recognizing that Dante is already available as an option.

PIZAZZ
02-18-2016, 05:51 PM
NDI is going to be a bit more challenging to do what you are asking. Might be a while before that workflow works itself out.

Here is a pic of a very basic DANTE live sports commentator setup we did for a client doing live sports broadcasts.

Hopefully after you look this over it will be a little clearer than mud. Even though this was with a Soundcraft Expression, your X32 setup should be similar regarding the Aux's.

Any delay is negligible and can be adjusted in the DANTE setup up or down to suite your needs. DANTE audio is designed to be super low latency. You just need to watch how many switches you put into the network and make sure you are running a Gigabit network throughout for the best performance. This same LiveSports setup runs their network over fiber with TPLink media converters and the total latency from the announcer to the truck is less than 10 msec.

PIZAZZ
02-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Oh SNAP!!! I haven't seen these yet. These are game changers in the DANTE audio world. Now StudioTechnologies has DANTE beltpacks. A complete matrix style network of intercoms can be setup using the DANTE matrix. That means ANY DANTE input on the network can go to those beltpacks and vice versa... Can't wait to get my hands on them.

http://www.studio-tech.com/product_m370.html

jkcw0897
02-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Makes sense, the diagram is very helpful. Thanks for putting that together. I'm working with more experience video wise... the audio is a bit of trial and error but it certainly appears, surface level this type of setup would certainly simplify our productions.

Shawn Farrell
02-20-2016, 07:14 PM
The future looks bright for NewTek & The TriCaster...get some great quality music tracks to mix with your audio interface from www.soundtraxxmusic.com it's just great music you can use in your TriCaster Arsenal in any way you choose.. :):newtek::newtek::newtek::tcicon:

- Shawn Lee Farrell
Producer,
www.trustmedia.tv (http://www.trustmedia.tv)

http://www.trustmedia.tv/TRICASTERSOUNDTRAXX.jpg

MambaFiber.com
02-26-2016, 08:18 PM
Oh SNAP!!! I haven't seen these yet. These are game changers in the DANTE audio world. Now StudioTechnologies has DANTE beltpacks. A complete matrix style network of intercoms can be setup using the DANTE matrix. That means ANY DANTE input on the network can go to those beltpacks and vice versa... Can't wait to get my hands on them.

They have a belt pack announcer console too...

http://studio-tech.com/product_m380.html