PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a difference in colors in final render????

unstable
02-07-2016, 09:31 AM
See the attached image. In VPR draft mode the sand is white which is what I want. If I take VPR off of draft mode the sand turns black. It is also black in the final render (F9). Why is this happening and what do I have to do to get white sand? Thanks

JoePoe
02-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Maybe it's an hourglass from the Dark Ages. :ohmy:

But seriously, how'd you make your sand? What are your GI/lighting and surface settings?
I think I remember running into this before, but it's been a while.
Gut is saying something about refraction.... edit: or ambient occlusion.

jboudreau
02-07-2016, 10:32 AM
See the attached image. In VPR draft mode the sand is white which is what I want. If I take VPR off of draft mode the sand turns black. It is also black in the final render (F9). Why is this happening and what do I have to do to get white sand? Thanks

I think it might have something to do with self shadowing. Try turning off shadows in the F9 render and see if your sand is still black? Let me know how you make out

Thanks,
Jason

JoePoe
02-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Okay back with a test. Yeah, I think its AO in GI..... (and I'm betting you have no other lights in addition to GI also).

1) Just GI. AO on. 132255
2) Just GI. AO off. 132256
3) GI AND light. 132259 132257

unstable
02-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Maybe it's an hourglass from the Dark Ages. :ohmy:

But seriously, how'd you make your sand? What are your GI/lighting and surface settings?
I think I remember running into this before, but it's been a while.
Gut is saying something about refraction.... edit: or ambient occlusion.

HA! Dark ages.... funny guy!!:D

But you were absolutely correct. I had to add a light to my hdri scene and then I had white sand again. Whew... back to modern times. Thanks much. If you're interested the full render will be in the speed modeling challenge. I'd like to see you enter that again JoePoe. I always enjoy seeing what you come up with and the great job you do.

S0nny
02-10-2016, 01:58 AM
In the case transparent object like this, what you want to do is enable USE TRANSPARENCY and DIRECTIONAL RAYS in radiosity options, no additional lights needed. Same if you want transparent colored objects cast correct shadows and/or colored shadows. Only downside is that the rendertime goes up.

unstable
02-10-2016, 04:58 AM
Thanks very much S0nny. You are absolutely correct (of course you already knew that). I posted the re-render in the speed challenge thread. It also corrected other problems I had with lighting and the render time was actually 2 seconds faster. Although the render was under 2 minutes anyway. thanks much

S0nny
02-10-2016, 05:09 AM
Glad it helped!