PDA

View Full Version : SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: "Out of Time: Archaic Time Measurement"

MonroePoteet
02-04-2016, 11:35 AM
SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: "Out of Time: Archaic Time Measurement" Deadline: 17 Feb 2016

Challenge: Archaic Time Measurement

Throughout history, we've used devices to measure time, putting numbers and measurements on days, weeks, months, seasons, years, centuries.

This challenge is to model an archaic time measuring device. Possibilities include orreries, sun-dials, hourglasses, archaeoastrology sites (e.g. Stonehenge or Chaco Canyon), stone calendars (Aztec, Mayan, etc.), astrolabes, sextants, chronometers. Time pieces up to the year 1900 will be allowed. Here's the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_timekeeping_devices

Time Limit: 120 minutes, not including planning, sketching, prototypes, texturing or render setup
Rendering: if modeling an archaeological site, the final render should clarify the site's solar, lunar or seasonal import

Rules:
1. Every challenge specifies a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time modeling. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and final render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread. Note: Some challenges will include final render instructions and time limit restrictions as well. This is up to the judge creating the challenge.
3. Only LightWave is to be used for modeling. However, 3rd party Plugins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time limit, we encourage you to submit the model, but it won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. Although, not required, it is always nice if the artist provides information on how the model was created, what plugins were used and any special techniques used.
7. The following criteria is used to award points. Modeling is looking for good poly flow. The better it is, the more points awarded. Creativity is how you interpreted the specifications of the challenge and applied them in way not necessarily expected. Expression is how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission. Render refers to how well the model, creativity and expression were conveyed.

Criteria Points
Modeling 0 to 5
Creativity 0 to 5
Expression 0 to 5
Render 0 to 5

TIME LIMIT: You must complete all geometrical/mesh construction in 120 minutes! We're on the honor system here people.

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME!

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break your time up as needed, but do keep track.

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on surfacing and rendering. However, more points are awarded if your ‘final’ render displays the model in a scene rather than just a textured render of the model. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

Surrealist.
02-05-2016, 12:06 AM
I have a suggestion to put into the guideline explicitly if UV mapping is allowed as part of texture set up. It is one of those things that falls into the gray area of modeling and texturing since you are modifying the mesh, technically, but it is very much a part of the texture process.

Aside from that. Great topic.

pinkmouse
02-05-2016, 02:13 AM
... Deadline: 17 Feb 2016...

Hmm, the day I get internet connection in my new house. This might just be possible! :)

MonroePoteet
02-05-2016, 05:21 AM
I have a suggestion to put into the guideline explicitly if UV mapping is allowed as part of texture set up. It is one of those things that falls into the gray area of modeling and texturing since you are modifying the mesh, technically, but it is very much a part of the texture process.

Aside from that. Great topic.

Good point. My own personal opinion is that Texturing (UV or otherwise) is a critical part of Modeling. But, it doesn't have anything to do with poly flow and the cleanliness of the model mesh, which is the actual "modeling".

So, since this is a *modeling* challenge, how about this: if you only select points / polys, you're texturing and it doesn't count toward the time limit. If you MOVE or transform points or polys other than in the UV Texture View (i.e. change anything spatially, however minor), you're modeling, and it counts.

Maybe we should have a separate Challenge stream which does include texturing, scene setup, etc. A really good example is my jellyfish submission for the "Under the Sea" challenge. The Mesh itself was almost trivial compared to the gradient coloring, the deformation on the tentacles, the particle emitter for floating particulates, and the fog and volumetric lighting I used to set up the "under sea" visualization:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148636-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-10-28-15-11-8-15-quot-Under-the-Sea-quot&p=1452809&viewfull=1#post1452809

But, for the Modeling challenge, I'll go with the rule set out above: if you move or transform points or polys spatially, you're modeling and it counts toward the time. If you only select them or move them "virtually" in the UV Texture View, it doesn't count.

mTp

Surrealist.
02-05-2016, 06:53 AM
Cool. How do we word that as a part of the standard guidelines that go with each challenge?

How about something like this:

Time Limit: 120 minutes, not including planning, sketching, prototypes, texturing/UV mapping*, or render setup

And then:

TIME LIMIT: You must complete all geometrical/mesh construction in 120 minutes! We're on the honor system here people.

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break your time up as needed, but do keep track.

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on surfacing and rendering. However, more points are awarded if your ‘final’ render displays the model in a scene rather than just a textured render of the model. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

*SPECIAL NOTE ON UVS: If you only select points / polys, you're texturing and it doesn't count toward the time limit. If you MOVE or transform points or polys other than in the UV Texture View (i.e. change anything spatially, however minor), you're modeling, and it counts under the time limit constraints.

MonroePoteet
02-05-2016, 07:53 AM
I don't know about it being "standard guidelines", but for this contest in which I'm the judge, UV texturing isn't counted against modeling time. Besides, I just cut-n-paste-n-edit the text from a previous Challenge.

mTp

Kuzey
02-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Cool. How do we word that as a part of the standard guidelines that go with each challenge?

How about something like this:

Time Limit: 120 minutes, not including planning, sketching, prototypes, texturing/UV mapping*, or render setup

And then:

*SPECIAL NOTE ON UVS: If you only select points / polys, you're texturing and it doesn't count toward the time limit. If you MOVE or transform points or polys other than in the UV Texture View (i.e. change anything spatially, however minor), you're modeling, and it counts under the time limit constraints.

I don't know, but it should be simplified like : modelling time: 120mins etc.

Everything else, take all the time in the world

Surrealist.
02-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Fair enough.

This will have to be considered my contribution unfortunately as I just don't have time these days to do anything 3D related outside of work.

But looking forward to checking out what you guys come up with. :)

unstable
02-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Always wanted to make one of these. Base wires are a bit heavy, but I needed extra wires to control the little bumps surrounding the base. Whole thing took me right up to the time limit. Really only modeled half and then mirrored. Will try to get the rendered version in later but before the deadline.

MonroePoteet
02-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Nice! As you said, you need those extra wires on the sides of the base and cap for the bump detail. Not worth the effort of trying to simplify just the top and bottom surfaces of the base and cap to reduce the coplanar polys. Looks good!

mTp

unstable
02-07-2016, 02:43 PM
my render. I'm not sure how to blur the reflection in the glass being that it isn't a nodal texture. I welcome suggestions on how to add this or any other suggestions for improving my skills. thanks

MonroePoteet
02-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Wow! Very nice. I don't think the reflection in the glass would be blurred. The glass will act as a wide-angle mirror, which means the reflection is at the focal length of the glass, not the wooded glade it's reflecting.

About my only (INCREDIBLY minor) comment is that the "neck" doesn't look blown by a glass blower. It appears to come to a point or actually stop rather than curving smoothly into the sides of each "reservoir" (or whatever the end bubbles are called). As I said, incredibly minor. Well done!

mTp

JoePoe
02-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Hey Unstable,

Followed you over here. Glad you got the sand working. Looks good :thumbsup:. Remember that just because you may need a light for that, it doesn't have to impact the whole scene. You can exclude it from everything else... if you want.
You can blur the reflection in the Environment tab in the layers texture area.....a little goes a long way.

When it comes to glass (you've done a very good job btw) I strongly recommend the Dielectric node. It really is almost "one button magic". Food for thought.

And thanks for the kind words in the other post. I've been run a little ragged these days... but I do miss the challenge. Maybe I can scratch one together one of these days :).

Edit: Monroe has a good point about the thinness and shape of the glass junction point. I'd like to just add, that if you've got sand in the top there should also be the vertical stream flowing into the bottom pile.

MonroePoteet
02-07-2016, 04:44 PM
I confirmed that the reflection is at the focal length of the glass, not the stuff being reflected:

The glass in the hourglass I have isn't very high-quality, but note the clarity of the reflection of my backyard (with 10+ inches of snow and various trees).

mTp

unstable
02-08-2016, 06:16 AM
Thanks to both of you. Good suggestions. I'll do some tweaks based on your suggestions. I wonder if I can animate this? Maybe next weekend.:stumped: Thanks again.

unstable
02-10-2016, 04:28 AM
Ok, I tried to incorporate your suggestions and have completed what I believe to be my final render. I'm pretty happy with the whole thing including the stream of sand. I wanted to appear as bit of a broken stream rather than solid. The only thing that really bothers me is where the feet meet the table. It almost appears like the hourglass is a superimposed image onto the table instead of sitting on the table and I don't understand why. The feet and table object are touching in the scene, so I'm wondering if it has to do with lighting and shadows or lack thereof. Feedback is always welcome. Thanks

unstable
02-10-2016, 04:56 AM
Sorry, one more render. S0nny suggested I use transparency and directional lighting instead of adding a light and it really resolved several problems. The sand is white, which is what I wanted and the feet appear to be residing on the table instead of superimposed. The render time actually dropped 2 seconds from a minute 57 to a minute 55. :D Last thing to resolve IMO is the edges of the wood on the table. I want to do away with the smear look on some of the pieces. Do I have to create a UV to solve this?

unstable
02-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Thought I'd do another one. 80 minutes total modeling time. Render is kind of so so because I don't have more time to work on it for now.

MonroePoteet
02-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Another beauty. Are you going to post the wires?

I'm going to *make* time in the next few days to submit an entry, even though I think the judge has to "recuse himself" from including his own work as part of the competition ("Such Skill and Proficiency in Modeling!" :) ). I'm hoping to do a fancy astrolabe.

Nice job!
mTp

spherical
02-15-2016, 03:55 PM
Wow! Very nice. I don't think the reflection in the glass would be blurred. The glass will act as a wide-angle mirror, which means the reflection is at the focal length of the glass, not the wooded glade it's reflecting.

More correctly, the convex surface is re-focusing the rays, in a similar matter to a reflector telescope. It is condensing a given set of rays, packing them into a smaller space. Therefore, it appears sharper; pretty much the same as downsampling an image in PS. This does not mean that "the reflection is at the focal length of the glass". Note the blurred what looks to be a 4-pane window in your confirmation shot, below. Quality of the glass notwithstanding, it has a blur across its area that is enough that I am unable to determine if indeed it is 4 panes.

Just to be certain, so as not to impart false data to anyone, I performed an independent test by placing a flat glass beside a convex glass that has a nice detailed section on its surface by which to determine focus of it and focused on the flat glass reflection so that it was sharp. The convex glass was WAY out of focus. Focusing on the convex glass, the reflection in the flat glass went out of focus. Yes, at some intermediate focal distances, you could determine shapes seen within that reflection but they were far from sharp. At absolute focus on the convex glass, they weren't even close to being definable. Also bear in mind aperture which deepens the depth of field when the shutter release is tripped. It is a pinhole lens. Get that small enough, lots of things come into focus that normally aren't. Distance is distance; reflected or not. No getting around it. Optics within said distance will alter the rays. That's why they were invented.

unstable
02-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the comments mTp. The requested wires. The dial itself is heavy on wires because I used a displacement map for the face.

Farhad_azer
02-16-2016, 02:52 PM

About 80 minutes in total (modeling 70 minutes approx) .

Farhad_azer
02-16-2016, 02:54 PM

The wireframe version.

Thank you everybody for the nice challenge.

MonroePoteet
02-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Nicely done, Farhad! Is the model subpatches, or regular polygons? The polygon flow looks good for subpatches, but it looks like you left it regular polygons.

Very nice! The render is very representative of the function, although I might suggest showing more of the scale rather than sort of hiding it behind the candle.

I've GOT to get my act together tomorrow to submit something before midnight!

Good job!
mTp

Farhad_azer
02-17-2016, 11:06 AM
yes it is sub-patched and all quad but I did freeze it at the end.

I am so tired at the moment that I can not reload scene to work, I will post results from new angles tomorrow, my apology,

Would you plz say why you think it is better to focus more on scale? I am interested to know other's opinion in order to make my results even better.

MonroePoteet
02-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Hi Farhad,

RE: freezing the subpatched object, if you're trying to get a really nice wireframe without freezing, you can use this Modeler plugin:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/polygon-coloring/

The basic approach is to COPY the object into a new object (I just append _Wires to the filename), then run the plugin. I always use the default values, and it creates "Surface_1", "Surface_2", etc. Then, in Layout, you can enable "Surface Edges" in the Object's Properties=>Edges tab, and you get a nice clean mesh without the dense subdivisions of the subpatches. I've been setting all the "Surface_n" to white with 50% Luminosity and 50% Diffuse, which is a look that I like.

RE: showing the scale more, I'm not sure it'd be "better", but I think showing the scale more might differentiate it from a "very nice candle holder" to "a measured candle clock". Of course, that's just my perspective. Again: nice job!

mTp

JoePoe
02-17-2016, 09:39 PM
Hi Farhad,

RE: freezing the subpatched object, if you're trying to get a really nice wireframe without freezing, you can use this Modeler plugin:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/polygon-coloring/

The basic approach is to COPY the object into a new object (I just append _Wires to the filename), then run the plugin. I always use the default values, and it creates "Surface_1", "Surface_2", etc. Then, in Layout, you can enable "Surface Edges" in the Object's Properties=>Edges tab, and you get a nice clean mesh without the dense subdivisions of the subpatches. I've been setting all the "Surface_n" to white with 50% Luminosity and 50% Diffuse, which is a look that I like.

RE: showing the scale more, I'm not sure it'd be "better", but I think showing the scale more might differentiate it from a "very nice candle holder" to "a measured candle clock". Of course, that's just my perspective. Again: nice job!

mTp

If you're in 2015 you don't need Polygon Coloring anymore.
Just turn on Patch Borders under Edges in Object Properties :thumbsup:.

Farhad: by freezing your model the outside edges are a bit faceted. If you had stayed in SubD they would be nice and smooth. You can SubD again if you want. It'll just be a denser mesh of course.

Farhad_azer
02-18-2016, 05:52 AM

I agree Joe, I did it and played a little with model and scene, (less than 10 minutes).

Would you be able to share the sand glass scene plz? only for educational purposes, the render is nice and models are very clean,

I don't think u used Lathe, did you?

Farhad_azer
02-18-2016, 08:31 AM
Dear mTp, you are the judge and it is totally up to you but would you please extend this till weekend so maybe more people participate?

When more people participate the quality of works and experience from that also improves.

Again feel free to decide however you please.

MonroePoteet
02-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Nice render with the subpatched model, Farhad! If you can post the wires, that'd be great.

I have other commitments which are going to prevent me from participating in LW (forums or otherwise) for a while after tomorrow, but I'll extend the deadline until midnight tonight (Thursday). I think two weeks is probably plenty of time for anyone who wants to participate to do so, but maybe not.

So, anyone who's procrastinated this far (like me!) note: the Official Deadline is extended to midnight tonight (Thursday, the 18th), although I won't check it again until tomorrow morning, Colorado time. If it's posted by the time I do the judging tomorrow morning, it'll be fine.

mTp

P.S. Here are the wires for my incompleted astrolabe. Way too long (3:35, and incomplete), and late, but turned out pretty well. I'm not posting a rendering yet since the images I used as reference (and Texture Color, Bump, etc.) are copyrighted. I sent an e-mail and am hoping to get permission from the reference website: https://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/astrolabe/catalogue/browseReport/Astrolabe_ID=242.html

unstable
02-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Your last render really looks good Farhad. I'll upload the hourglass model this weekend. I don't have access to it right now.

Very nice model mTp. The way the inner wheel is designed you don't really having the option to mirror anything to speed up the process. Clean wires!

MonroePoteet
02-19-2016, 09:20 AM
Very nice model mTp. The way the inner wheel is designed you don't really having the option to mirror anything to speed up the process. Clean wires!

Thanks! Yes, the "rete" as it's called, has pointers to various stars in the sky on the "tympan" or astronomical plate for whatever time of day / night it is, so although the framework of the rete is fairly symmetric, the star pointers are not and had to be done individually. I got a good methodology down for doing so, but still, quite a number of them.

I'm still hoping to get permission to post the textured renders. With the images from the MHS website as color, bump and specularity maps, it looks really nice!

mTp

P.S. BTW, the tympan is specific to the latitude at which the device is being operated and can be swapped out. The reference astrolabe has separate plates for 40 degrees, 41 degrees and 50 degrees.

MonroePoteet
02-19-2016, 09:23 AM
OK, here's the judging for "Out of Time: Archaic Time Measurement". Nice submissions, everyone!

NOTE: I didn't include JoePoe's freestanding hourglass in the judging, since I think it was posted just as an example. Apologies if it was intended as a submission!

Unstable - hourglass

Modeling 4
Creativity 4
Expression 4
Render 5

Total: 17/20

Unstable - sundial

Modeling 4
Creativity 3
Expression 2
Render 3

Total: 12/20

Farhad - candle clock

Modeling 4
Creativity 3
Expression 3
Render 4

Total: 14/20

So, the winner is: Unstable for the hourglass. Good job! Creative representation of more than a simple hourglass, good polyflow on the model and the final scene / render very artisticly done.

Honorable Mention to Farhad for a job well done! The final render was quite nice with the candle glow, a bit of lens flare. Perhaps using Pewter or some other metal surface preset (F8 while in the Surface Editor, then pull-down the category to "Metal", select a preset) would have been a nice additional touch for the render. I judged the modeling from the wires you posted of the frozen model. Good poly flow!

So, Unstable can post the next modeling challenge. Thanks to all for participating!

mTp

unstable
02-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks mTp. I hope we have lots of participants for this one http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149849-SPEED-MODELING-CHALLENGE-quot-Get-A-Handle-On-It-quot-Deadline-midnight-28-Feb-2016

unstable
02-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Here you go Farhad. The images cannot be used commercially and you'll have to use your own hdri image because the one I used is too big to include even in a zip.

Farhad_azer
02-19-2016, 07:43 PM

I set the disp sub-patch level to zero here as the original one was too dense and its wireframe was not clear.

Thanks unstable and congratulation.

It would be great if Joepoe also shares his scene.

see you on next challenge fellas.