PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Layers

Schwyhart
02-04-2016, 11:26 AM
So I just imported a fairly large scene from MODO.
I found the Layers panel, but is there any way to organize it more? Instead of a giant list, maybe collapsable folders or something.

Or can I color label the layers?

Also, how do I move an object from one layer to another one...is my only option to cut an paste the objects in the layer?

Thanks,

Jared

prometheus
02-04-2016, 11:53 AM
So I just imported a fairly large scene from MODO.
I found the Layers panel, but is there any way to organize it more? Instead of a giant list, maybe collapsable folders or something.

Or can I color label the layers?

Also, how do I move an object from one layer to another one...is my only option to cut an paste the objects in the layer?

Thanks,

Jared

for modeler...
in the layers tab/utilities...select layers you wish to merge, then flatten layers...or if you just want all layers to one layer, use collapse object.
if you have segment parts, (unconnected geometry) you can go the other way and use connected to layers wich will send all unconnected parts to itīs own layers.
not options of coloring layers as I know of, not unless you go to layout and use the scene editor.

Schwyhart
02-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Is it normal to take a good 30 seconds to delete the layer?

prometheus
02-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Is it normal to take a good 30 seconds to delete the layer?

perfectly normal..and also not perfectly normal...it may depend on the amount of polys in the layer...and that is?

I use mostly 32 bit version, a part of 1.5 million took 5 seconds to delete.
May be your computer system isnīt handling it well? could be vertex normals taking up memory while clearing...not sure really.

Schwyhart
04-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Sorry for the late reply.
It's an empty layer, but has a name one it. When I delete it, it takes literally 30+ seconds. Also, I can only delete one layer at a time.
Am I doing something wrong?

OSX 10.11.4
3.5 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5
32 Gbs 1866Mhz DDR3 memory
AMD FirePro D700 6144Mb graphics card

spherical
04-15-2016, 04:45 PM
Deleting one layer at a time is all you get. Same goes for inserting them. The amount of time it takes is not only related to the heaviness of the mesh on the layer, but the combination of layers below it too. If the model has a lot of geometry that it has to move up/down, it will take some time to do it.

Schwyhart
04-15-2016, 05:00 PM
Hopefully this will be fixed in Lightwave Next

spherical
04-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Heh. There may be a more efficient way to manipulate layers upon layers of data, but I'd say that LW3DG have more important issues to deal with than this and, from what they have shown so far, they are doing a great job in that regard. I'd sooner support development of the PBR system than devote time "fixing" something that works. Yes, it may seem slow at times. Still, it gets done in relatively short order; especially when compared to moving each and every layer by cut and paste and then renaming them all. I'll take a bit of waiting any day. Give me a chance to rest my brain and get some blood flow to my legs. :)

Schwyhart
04-15-2016, 05:48 PM
I just meant fixed as an affect of the increase in speed it's supposed to get. I would assume it would be faster even if it wasn't redesigned because if I'm not mistaken, both Modeler and Layout are getting new engines (or whatever you call the core of the software). Or am I mistaken about what the Unified Geometry Engine & Unified Mesh System are?

djwaterman
04-16-2016, 12:27 AM
Sadly mistaken, Modeler will still have the same geometry engine.

jeric_synergy
04-16-2016, 12:56 AM
Except for presentation purposes, there's not much reason to MOVE a layer. (I think.)

BTW, there is an often overlooked feature of the Layers Panel: the small downward pointing arrow/triangle on the right side, above the scroll bar (seriously bad layout there) is actually a mode switch. It switches between a straight LIST and HIERARCHY. If you leave a layer empty, or with just one point (may be a requirement), you can switch to HIERARCHY MODE and use the empty layers as "folders", if you never move them in Layout, because they will be the parents of everything below them.

This will allow you to HIDE all the children of those folder layers.

Remember you can exclude a Layer from being imported into Layout by disabling the eyeball-- although I don't know what happens if a disabled layer is the parent of an enabled layer. I guess you'll find out, eh? :dance:

++++
Layer 'movement' could theoretically be extremely efficient, depending on how the internal representation is organized. I mean, it could be as little as two bytes in a data structure, the number of the Layer. There's no need, theoretically, to move all the mesh data: just switch the layer labels. However, that may not be how it works.

gerry_g
04-16-2016, 04:10 AM
think this all depends on how you like to build thing, routinely I have twenty or more layers going on and am forever copy and pasting cutting deleting and renaming and never seem to get the huge time lags you are talking about, I presume you are running Modeler in isolation and not with Layout open cuz that's the only thing I can think that will slow it down, last time I saw someone complaining like this it turned out they had several copies of the same object in one layer and hadn't looked at numerics closely enough to spot the problem

Schwyhart
04-16-2016, 06:16 AM
I exported a large scene from MODO using Lightwave Object. Somehow that's when all the extra unnamed empty layers came from.
Yes, I was only running Modeler. So, you're saying if Layout is running along side Modeler, it will run smoother?

Thanks for the tip about the hierarchy view, I'll try if out today some time.

Schwyhart
04-16-2016, 07:00 AM
I did your suggestions. I ran Modeler and Layout at the same time and it didn't make things any faster.
But putting things into Hierarchy is going to be a HUGE help! Thanks for that tip!

Another thing I noticed is that it takes about a minute or more to add a layer too.

jeric_synergy
04-16-2016, 11:04 AM
My pleasure: it's always a good feeling to find an existing feature that will help, instead of making another Yet Another Feature Request (YAFR). I've considered using Nulls in the same fashion in Layout to tame a messy Scene Editor.

My models aren't so big, and I've never experienced a delay in ADDING a layer. Do you mean inserting a layer?? --It's probably me underachieving.

If you have the time, various scripts exist to remove empty layers en masse: if your import workflow is generating a number of empty layers perhaps those would be useful. You might have to go get coffee while they execute though...

jeric_synergy
04-18-2016, 12:14 AM
After posting this tip, I decided to take my own advice as re LAYOUT organization (a bit different from the OP's point, but related).

Screenie of the NSE. The nulls labeled "xxx-FOLDER" are static nulls, everything disabled that can be (I'm never sure about SCALE), that act purely as organization assists:

Black is probably not the right color for this application, but just an experiment. I'm pleased with how this can clean up a messy NSE. I don't think making a script that would:

make a null;
name it "___-FOLDER" or "FOLDER--";
disable most/all of the channels;

...will be very hard (EDIT:see below). Just checked though, and yet again a command does NOT go thru LScript Commander (changing NSE item colors). Fabulous. :grumpy:

+++++++++++++
And in fact, here it is:

@warnings
@name Add FOLDER

generic
{
AddNull("Null");
Rename("FOLDER--");
MoveTool();
EnableXH();
EnableYP();
EnableZB();
ChangeTool();
EnableXH();
EnableYP();
EnableZB();
ChangeTool();
ChangeTool();
EnableXH();
EnableYP();
EnableZB();
}

JonW
04-18-2016, 01:07 AM
For my architectural models in modeler. For a typical small development. I will allocate the first 20 to imported plans elevations sections etc, then leave 10 spare layers, then 10 layers for floors & similar things, 10 layers for walls, 10 layers for the roof, 10 layers for windows etc. So there are plenty of unused layers, but key things are in groups.

If I run out of room for lets say walls then I generally start a second group of 10 layers. Everything is in groups so it fairly easy to locate particular layers.

I also straight away give every layer a name, & keep all the naming consistent. & where appropriate use the same name or part of the name for surfaces.

Use a second monitor vertically for layer window. If you use lots of layers & you should be able to see all your layers in one go unless it's a massive job.