PDA

View Full Version : Blender Animated Short - Caminandes 3: Llamigos

lightscape
02-03-2016, 08:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkVqJ1SGeL0
Still don't like blender workflow even though I use it painfully to add to lw's inadequacies, but this short rocks nonetheless.
Pixar quality on opensource.

Surrealist.
02-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Hardly Pixar quality rending shading etc. But very cool animation and overall design none the less.

50one
02-04-2016, 01:45 AM
Hardly Pixar quality rending shading etc. But very cool animation and overall design none the less.

Well, consider the team size and resources available between Pixar or any other production house for that matter and Blender Open Source Movie projects and I'm surprised you even mention that:)
I like the fur in this I must admit, story is great too! Three thumbs up from me.

Surrealist.
02-04-2016, 02:28 AM
I am surprised it was compared to Pixar as far as quality. I only qualified that in terms of the look of it, technically speaking. It does not match up to something done by Pixar.

Now if it did, and you find out it was done with 3 guys, Blender and a small render farm in the garage, then wow.

But why go to the bother of comparing it to something it can't be compared to?

I thought the whole thing was fantastic on its own merits regardless of the size of team. I can see some improvements needed in the rendering, but I would not have felt the need to point that out. Heck I see worse stuff coming out of large studios.

Pixar on the other had does have a reputation and a track record of some amazing shading and rendering.

I just don't get if it is good, it has to be compared somehow to Pixar? As if they are the only ones that can do great animation, story and overall deign. It was just a great film. And there are a lot of great shorts made independently all the time. Why not compare to some of them for a better point of reference?

Rant over. :)

raymondtrace
02-04-2016, 06:55 AM
To make an allowance for those making absurd comparisons...

I have a 1990-something promotional VHS tape from Newtek that told me I could be the next "Walt Disney". :)

50one
02-04-2016, 07:31 AM
To make an allowance for those making absurd comparisons...

I have a 1990-something promotional VHS tape from Newtek that told me I could be the next "Walt Disney". :)

Maybe they hinted the cryo-chambers will be more accessible in the future...;)