PDA

View Full Version : Octane Render Target Node - Someone please explain the rules!

Sgtsldge
02-03-2016, 12:18 PM
I'm hoping to get some help on understanding how the Octane Render Target Nodes actually works. The tutorials and the Otoy manual have been very helpful but I can't find anywhere that discusses the rules of how the Octane Render Target Nodes function. For example, I've tried applying a procedural bump map to an object (using surface editor and edit nodes) but I'm not able to see the changes in IPR (most likely it's an invalid setup). Would I use the bump layer target node and connect it to octane diffuse material (bump) and connect it to the bump node on the surface texture output (sorry if confusing, I can provide screenshots later)? There's also an alpha channel that I can pull out but it's not clear as to what it would connect to and how it works. What has worked is using the octane texture image -> octane diffuse material (bump) -> surface (bump). Are there any resources out there that explains the basics? There's so much more that has confused me but I believe that by starting with an explanation of the rules and guidelines for using the nodes will help me overcome a lot of the hurdles I've been facing. Thanks for all of your help!

02-03-2016, 01:28 PM
I admit to being confused as to what you are saying.

F5 is for surfacing. You know that. A rule here is you have to use an octane material fed into the node for the surface material to get started. From there, you can pipe a LW material node into the octane material to maintain renderability between lw and octane.

For a bump from a lw texture, for example, you have to pipe the lw texture into an octane image node piped into an octane material node's bump option.

Nothing for octane goes directly to the surface, it all gets piped through the octane material, or octane material mixer.

Hope that helps.
Robert

Sgtsldge
02-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Thank you! I'm slowly but surely starting to make sense of it all. All other root nodes are ignored and you always have to pipe the nodes through one of the Octane material shaders. This is where Octane will get all of its information from no matter how complex the node tree can become. What would be useful is seeing a node tree hierarchy that has some common combinations. For example, there's a bump layer (LW native-selecting fractal noise and crumple layers) node that has two outputs (bump and alpha). Which Octane Texture Image input (options: power, gamma, translate U, translate v, rotate UV, scale u, scale v, projection, procedural) can I connect this to in order to produce the desired effect? None of the available options would make sense to connect together. Again, sorry for lack of photos, I have limited access to my workstation to get the screenshots taken and uploaded. I'm also extremely new to this world and it's like learning a new language while trying to figure out how it all fits together.

02-04-2016, 04:19 PM
You know about this forum, right:
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36

Your question would elicit a, "None", as a response. The color is all you can feed into an octane image texture, based on your shared scenario. All others have no pipe-in opportunities.

After you input the color, you then can pipe that octane image node into other things to accomplish what you want.

If you have something you are trying to achieve, show the resultant image: someone around here, or at the other forum, will probably pipe in with a solution you can probably grok.

As well, another way that many have learned is to download the standalone and go through their online db of surfaces. This won't help with what and how to work LW stuff into the mix but may be of help in seeing how some of the textures have been achieved.

It feels limited, sure, but they really did a bang-up job of being able to get any texture/surface into and rendered with Octane.
Robert

Sgtsldge
02-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Thanks to the folks over at simplylightwave.com I've been able to put this together 132207. I'm using this 132209 as my reference.

My questions are in regards to the ground and cross texturing. I'm definitely open to any suggestions that someone can provide on improving the node trees in order to get a better representation.

Ground: 132208
Cross:132210