PDA

View Full Version : Help - Export your UV map from Modeler and paint it

Willoh_lw
12-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Hi,

I created a model in Modeler with all my surface names, uv maps..etc
now i wish to import that UV map into photoshop and paint on it but i'm unsure on how to proceed(how to export the map image).

Any tips or tutorial links would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Willoh_lw

Karmacop
12-10-2003, 07:53 AM
File>export>export encapsulated post script Then load the eps into photoshop and give it the dimensions you want.

I think there's a plugin called UV imaginator that'll export and image straight from LW, btu I don't like it as much :p

Macet01
12-10-2003, 07:54 AM
From Lightwave, export the maps in the EPS format. Unfortunately, I am not infront of my home computer to give directions but they should be detailed in the manual. Photoshop can easily open the exported files and you can start painting.

Willoh_lw
12-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Super, i'm back on track !

Thanks,

Willoh_lw :)

Alan Daniels
12-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
I think there's a plugin called UV imaginator that'll export and image straight from LW, btu I don't like it as much :p

If you want UV imaginator, it can be found here:

http://www.3dcybercorp.com/software/uvimaginator/

I find it to be very useful, and you can't argue with the price (free), so I'd recommend downloading it and giving it a try.

hrgiger
12-10-2003, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure how the eps works because I don't use it. I do use UV imaginator and I really like it. You can pick your image resolution, wire color, background color and image format. It gives you a few other options that I can't remember right off hand. I definately reccomend giving it a try.

gjjackson
12-10-2003, 02:34 PM
If you want to spend the money BodyPaint, new version, works great with LW, must be 7.5c. I've been quite impressed with it. The new version is much better, allowing 3D painting on objects.

Willoh_lw
12-10-2003, 08:03 PM
I did the eps export and it worked well with PSP.
I was able to paint my maps and send them back to LW.

Multiselected my materials when it was time to re-import, set it to uv and 'boom'... perfect fit :)

I definitly want to try those 2 new methods you guys suggested also.

I'll have to see if Maxon has a demo version of BP2 online.
i think they do.

Can't go wrong with more options right ? :)

Thanks again

Willoh_lw

wp_capozzi
12-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Something to try for the fun of it.
-Save a copy of your model as a disposable "paint only" version.
-Subdivide the "paint only" model as high as your machine can comfortably handle.
-Make a vertex map on it and bring the model into vertex paint through Modeler.
-Paint some color and detail on the model.
-Send it to Layout. Use somewhat high ambient lighting and bake the vertex map to an image. High shadow surface baking is interesting as well.
-Load both the baked image and the EPS UV map into Photoshop, combine them, and continue painting detail.
-Use the resulting image as a color image on your original model.

It doesn't beat an actual 3D paint program. It's not hard to branch off into spec/diff/bump/normal maps etc from the baked vertex painted map.
This works well to get a feel for 3D painting without using other software. The detail is very limited, but it is fun and does create a nice visual reference for further painting in Photoshop.

Regards,
Bill C.
www.dedicateddigital.com

3d user
12-11-2003, 09:07 AM
New question:
I exported the UV map of a box object as an EPS file. Then created a BMP picture of the EPS. I painted some numbers on the sides of my box. When I look at my box again with UV mapped surfaces some texts are a mirror version while others are OK.

How do I fix that? The polygon normals are OK.

Another question:
The EPS has an unwanted graphic "UV Texture". Why did that export with the

Karmacop
12-12-2003, 02:59 AM
map>texture>uv flip

if you don't have it then I've possibly gotten it from www.flay.com and I'd suggest going there and searching for it. Hope this helps.

toasterhombre
12-13-2003, 06:06 AM
If you had Aura there is a new LW viewer plugin that brings uvs in from the hub and you can paint them in Aura.

Mirage also has this plug in. For a cool example of a character that has been textured using the plug in. . . . .

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=213

rabid pitbull
12-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by toasterdude
If you had Aura there is a new LW viewer plugin that brings uvs in from the hub and you can paint them in Aura.

Mirage also has this plug in. For a cool example of a character that has been textured using the plug in. . . . .

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=213

Yes it is supposed to work like that but for manny it is a broken feature never fixed ...... I will use windows paint before i give these guys another dime.

:mad:

toasterhombre
12-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Can you be more specific? Which is broken? Aura or Mirage? I just demoed Mirage and showed the LWviewer plug in and it worked great. Is the Aura one broken?

rabid pitbull
12-13-2003, 11:35 AM
I have aura 2.5b and the lw plugin doesn't work well at all. From disitorted uv maps to not being able to save the edited image. Not to mention the Constant crashing on close among other minor bugs. Really got screwed by newtek as they promoterd the hell out of this product to LW users and then abandoned it days after I bought it.

Can you say bad tast in your mouth?? This is the main reason I have not bought into all the LW 8 upgrade hype. I will not upgrade untill it has sucessfully proven itself and has the features I am after. Not interested in any bonus programs = hype......

Anyhow the aura to lw connection is buggy at best, don't buy it if this is your main use of the app like i did.

toasterhombre
12-13-2003, 01:52 PM
I am not sure but believe there was an Aura 2.5c patch? If so, maybe try downloading that patch. I do know that it works in Mirage as there are quite a few people using it. I hope you get these issues resolved, and 8.0 is looking better all the time!

rabid pitbull
12-13-2003, 04:54 PM
There is no 2.5c patch. As soon as newtek sold the product development ended for aura and began for mirage. So the problems i mentioned will never be resolved, and i was screwed out of $300 from newtek......