PDA

View Full Version : Strata Design 3D modeller free

lightscape
01-25-2016, 10:27 PM
https://www.strata.com/design-3d-se-our-entry-level-3d-modeler-now-free/

While looking for a more vesatile modeller for 3dprinting I came across this.
Haven't tried yet.

meshpig
01-26-2016, 03:24 AM
Looks OK, used to use Strata years ago. Bit of a dog.

raymondtrace
01-26-2016, 07:32 AM
I'm not sure about the mentality behind this. The full Windows product is $595 but you can upgrade from this free version to the full version for $199.

Is the software engineered to function any better than its sales department?

Is Strata SE the "Swan-song Edition"?

calilifestyle
01-26-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure about the mentality behind this. The full Windows product is $595 but you can upgrade from this free version to the full version for $199.

Is Strata SE the "Swan-song Edition"?

Well some company's have Crossover upgrades. They have just upgrade please. Yeah i don't know .

Ernest
01-27-2016, 01:12 AM

Microsoft did this as well, with their Visual Studio. If you had the free version, or even claimed to have the free version, you could upgrade for half the price. Last year they seemed to stop and just lowered the price and removed all upgrade options.

zapper1998
01-27-2016, 07:33 AM
interesting yes

Rayek
01-29-2016, 11:59 PM
I installed and checked out Strata a couple of months ago. I can see why they offer a free version - they must be feeling the pinch in the market with Blender outperforming these older applications by a thousand miles. And Autodesk, Modo, and Houdini offering light versions of their products as well.

Strata's GUI is very heavy on modal dialogs, and the overall feel of the interface reminds me of the nineties. It feels outdated.

It does have some nice tools, though. The curve based tools are interesting, though again feel outdated. The text tool is rather quite nice, and is light years ahead of both Lightwave and Modo.

But then again, the text tools in LW and Modo still are stuck in the Stone Age - so no surprise there ;-P

As far as I could tell, editing a particular object is solely done by double-clicking the object, which then opens it in a new window. If you have a group of grouped items, this results in many nested windows, which I found extremely awkward and counter-productive.

It could not hold my interest for long. The material editor is incredibly basic. It is a 32bit application, which means it is completely unsuitable for more complex work, and it will crash once you hit the ceiling (at least, that is what I have read).

The render results in their image gallery speak for themselves (meaning: not exactly stellar looking) - the renderer is pretty limited. I think Strata is a reasonable choice for product design and graphic designers, because the threshold is relatively low for beginners in 3D.

EDIT Just noticed their new v8 render improvements. And yes, definitely aimed at designers in general (product design, architects, graphic design). Not bad for what it does - but I really do not see any reason at all to invest any time into Strata if you already work in any of the 3d biggies (which include Lightwave and Blender).

Well, there's that text tool issue in LW ;-)