PDA

View Full Version : Timesaving new surface management LScript

kevman3d
12-10-2003, 03:34 AM
I dunno if L(8) will add a global scaling function to surfaces (well, I hope it will) - However 7.5c users (and maybe 8?) can at least try this new tool :)

http://www.kevman3d.com/lightwave.asp?section=plugins&sub=layout

Rescale_Texture_Layers - Its a quicky LScript that lets you rescale all the layers in all the basic surface attributes in one go...

Why? Anybody ever load, say, a cool 'procedural rust' texture and then found it looked too tiny or grainy cause it was too small for their object?

How about when it was comprised of multiple layers in 3-4 attributes to define the way that rust reflected, how its specularity glinted in the light, etc. Suddenly its no longer a case of just tweaking one set of texture layers in the color channel to make it look right, its lots of the suckers!

This Generic script will take the selected item, let you then select a surface name (or *all* of them), enter a 'resize' percent and immediately rescale every layer in every basic attribute (color/diff/spec/gloss/transp/refract/reflect/transluceny and bump) by that percent. No more tweaking - If only I'd bothered to write this a few months ago, eh!

Hope its useful?

Kev.

marc
12-10-2003, 04:04 AM
No more tweaking - If only I'd bothered to write this a few months ago, eh!
Yeah, why didn't you? ;) I could well have used this for my film which had mostly procedural textures.

Anyway, it's just in time for my next project, texturing starts tomorrow. So thanks a lot for sharing the script.

Marc

Karmacop
12-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Possibly I'm taking this too far, btu I love you Kev! :p

I'm going to use this script alot :)

omeone
12-10-2003, 06:26 AM
thank you Kevman, sounds great, cant wait to try it out.

Matt
12-10-2003, 06:46 AM
I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo needed this a while ago!

Wasn't sure if it was possible in lscript seen as no one had done it already!

Many, many thanks Kev, you truly are a star! :)

P.S. Do suppose you can knock up a script that 'Automatic Sizes' all textures (bitmaps) too could you ;)

kevman3d
12-11-2003, 03:06 AM
Just FYI - I quickly updated the script - It now has a switch to 'ignore image map layers'.

Why? Simple - You apply that cool procedural rust over those planar mapped texture images you spent hours painting up... Then you rescale and your autosized images expand too! So rather then roll back and re-autosize, you can now just ignore any image maps...

Matt
12-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Even better!

Steve McRae
12-12-2003, 09:49 PM
. . . thats awesome! thankyou . . .