PDA

View Full Version : Laying Markers while Playback

raw-m
01-25-2016, 06:22 AM
Anyone have any tips for laying Markers down in Layout, ideally while playing. I have some audio loaded and need to hit some notes (difficult to isolate in an audio editor), would be great if there was a key command or similar that could add them as it's playing. Can't find access to Markers at all in the keyboard shortcuts.

I know about the Shift-Dbl Click on the Dope Track. Importing them from a mov or another format could be useful? Would be nice if the displayed in the Graph Editor, too.

PS. Thinking it could make a nice AE to LW feature request.

ernpchan
01-25-2016, 10:24 AM
My guess is no. This is the first I've heard of Markers in Layout actually. LSCommander doesn't report anything when adding a marker to the dope sheet so there's no way to call that command. Couldn't find anything in the python sdk...but searching the python sdk is unreliable.

raw-m
01-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Thanks for looking, ernpchan. I don't use them very often as I think they could be better implemented. Created them in AE (very easy) and went good 'ol paper and pen with the frame numbers in the end.

01-25-2016, 11:53 AM
I was thinking keyframes in lieu of markers. Those you could get out of AE, even, applied to a null.

ernpchan
01-25-2016, 11:58 AM
I was thinking keyframes in lieu of markers. Those you could get out of AE, even, applied to a null.

That's what I do. It's not perfect as it relies on you having that object selected to see the keyframes. Of course there's good old pencil and paper.

MonroePoteet
01-25-2016, 04:18 PM
I have a process and a utility that allows creation of exact (or as close as you want to make them) Keyframes in LW using the open-source Audacity sound editor "Labels", if anyone is interested. I've attached a ZIP file with a Word document and ugly-format Text file describing the procedure and a Win32 and Win64 version of my utility. Sorry, no Mac version!

The basic process is

use CTRL-M in Audacity while playing to create rough markers (they call them "Labels")
fine-tune the Labels in Audacity
export the Labels to a text file
run the AudacityLabelsToLWChannels.exe utility choosing Camera, Light or Mesh
select the channels that you want keyframes created upon
the utility creates an LScript to create the keyframes
in Layout, select the appropriate Camera, Light or Mesh object
run the created LScript (NOTE: keyframes may be on fractional keyframes)

Utilities=>LScript menu item
Browse to find the created LScript

adjust and fine-tune the keyframes in Layout

Works pretty well for me. Audacity can be downloaded here:

http://audacityteam.org/

mTp

pinkmouse
01-25-2016, 06:05 PM
...Sorry, no Mac version!

That'll annoy Mark! :D

MonroePoteet
01-25-2016, 06:35 PM
That'll annoy Mark! :D

Ah, well. "No matter what I do, it'll be wrong." :)

The document includes a manual version of converting the Audacity "Labels" into LW keyframes. Maybe it'll suffice.

mTp

ernpchan
01-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Thanks for looking, ernpchan. I don't use them very often as I think they could be better implemented. Created them in AE (very easy) and went good 'ol paper and pen with the frame numbers in the end.

Using mTp' s workflow as reference you could make a script to write your AE marker locations to a text file to then convert to keyframes on an object. I don't know how markers are stored in the lws file but I would think it's possible to write that data into the lws file.

All these are hack workarounds of course.