PDA

View Full Version : Caught in the Storm?

prometheus
01-23-2016, 03:15 AM
Huh..that is one hell of a snowstorm you folks in the u.s.a are having now.. donīt think we have had such an extreme one here in sweden even.
So take care for those of you over there caught in the storm, prepare with good clothing, warm drinks, heat candles etc..if thereīs power outtage that is... and donīt go out unless you absolutly have to.

Over here in sweden we have had a very easy going winter this year so far..not much snow considering, and only a a week maybe with -15-20 degree celsius, but it will drop to maybe -1 in a few days.
Not much of plowing business either.

good luck you folks caught up in the storm.

lertola2
01-23-2016, 04:49 AM
Thanks, It is snowing hard now in New York City.

scallahan1
01-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Very happy to be barely at the northern fringe of the storm. I think I saw a flake a few minutes ago. Don't expect much more than that. I sympathize with the poor folks that are getting clobbered. We had it very bad last year. Still plenty of winter left for us to get whacked. I saw a report of a place in Virginia that got 30". Crikey!

Steve

lertola2
01-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Its still snowing hard. Only snow emergency vehicles are allowed on the streets. I walked home on Broadway in the middle of the street.

Megalodon2.0
01-23-2016, 08:00 PM
We've only got about 12 to 14 inches here outside of Richmond Virginia. I'm used to New Jersey snow storms with 24 inches or more. Still... the older you get, the more back-breaking it is to shovel it. At least I'm getting my exercise. :) So far no power problems, but we've got a kerosene heater and several propane stoves to keep warm if necessary. And lots of batteries.

adrian
01-25-2016, 04:39 AM
The politically correct thing for me to say would be that I sympathise with everyone affected but I think people should sympathise with me, seeing that thanks to global warming I now live in the most pathetic God-forsaken snowless area of the world in the country with the most pathetic & putrid climate in the world.

Obviously sympathies to all those who have lost loved ones.

prometheus
01-25-2016, 08:33 AM
The politically correct thing for me to say would be that I sympathise with everyone affected but I think people should sympathise with me, seeing that thanks to global warming I now live in the most pathetic God-forsaken snowless area of the world in the country with the most pathetic & putrid climate in the world.

Obviously sympathies to all those who have lost loved ones.

strange..my sister has fallen in love with london, she visited london twice within a year not long ago for the first time, milder climate and all that..which she prefer rather than the swedish wet cold weather here in stockholm, though it just dropped within two days from -15 degree to +1 celsius today, and my niece would like to live in brighton actually.

still got snow mod, mostly brown and dirty..but we havenīt had that much this year, a completly different story at the end of 2012 ..were we got too much, got stuck at work and couldnīt get home by car or bus or train for a long time, had to walk quite a bit before my brother picked me up in a military jeep that could handle the weather.

I like it when itīs two mild winters..followed by one really snowy winter, nice with contrast and sometimes some snow, as long as one can cuddle up at home and donīt have to leave the house.

Michael

adrian
01-26-2016, 02:34 AM
Guess it's "the grass is always greener" as we say. Trouble with the current British climate is that it seems to be just one long autumn. Another reason I like snow is the days off work which means I can spend my days using LightWave :-)

prometheus
01-26-2016, 04:22 AM
Guess it's "the grass is always greener" as we say. Trouble with the current British climate is that it seems to be just one long autumn. Another reason I like snow is the days off work which means I can spend my days using LightWave :-)

well..a long autumn is exactly what I would want, generally I like late august to mid october..and especially like when itīs getting a bit colder and fresh in the air, and the leafs are orange gold and rost red :) as it is now..that period only last for three weeks maybe..then the leafs are gone, and all is grey and dull until maybe christmas or new years eve when the snow arrives..getīs a bit more cosy then..but then it gets really cold and i generally want the winter to be over with at mid januari, spring I tend to dislike due to allergy, though itīs gotten better...summer, well I mostly enjoy summer nights, but during the days I tend to shy the summerheat really.
So for me..12 months of autumn would be perfect..and I love the rain, if its during autumn that is..when november kicks in, that rain isnīt as nice.

Then again if I were to live with 12 months of autumn, I would probably wish for something else.

Having the snow as an excuse or a chance to get away from work is quite rare though, it would take extrem weather, otherwise it will just mean that you need to take 2 hours or more in traffic jam in the snow to get there..in fact
I can hardly remember a winter where we had closed schools or work.

what I dislike about winter is the cloud lock often associated here in sweden, which means the sun is blocked and itīs mostly darkness..that affects you a lot when you donīt get that light in to your eyes, there are way more of those days than actual bright sunshine on a cold fresh day..otherwise those sunshine winter days that are really cold so the nose freezes, those are quite nice if you have proper clothes on.
otherwise for our winter, slippery roads .you have to walk like a duck for months..which put a challenge on the legs, I should of course invest in shoe spikes.

Itīs plus 6 celsius today in sthlm...just a few days ago minus 15 degree celsius, the weather swaps quite drasticly from day to day over here, but strangely ..it doesnt seem to give birth to any extreme weather conditions over here.

50one
01-26-2016, 06:07 AM
You tell them Adrian!
10cm of rain expected in some parts today with strong gales, weather been **** during this winter with only 8hrs of snow in Jan and constant storms and flooding - some places been flooded 5 times during past three months.

London is not Brighton, actually the weather in most cases is not that bad in London.
I remember visitng our friend in October and we were sleeping with the garden door open...while in Scotland the gas heating was running red lol.

adrian
01-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Aye, in Brighton we get wind and lots of it. Being near the sea means the temperature is higher during the "winter" and lower during the "summer" - in other words we get the worst of the dross year round - heck we don't even get good thunderstorms anymore. Maybe me & Prometheus can do a year-long swap. I've never had the pleasure of visiting Sweden with Norway is the only Scandi country I've travelled to - and I will admit that Bergen does get more rain than us.

pinkmouse
01-27-2016, 02:54 AM
Adrian, if you can afford to live in Brighton, I suspect you could afford to move anywhere the climate suits you, and still be better off! :D