PDA

View Full Version : Does chamfer generate degenerate polys?

jeric_synergy
01-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Just used CHAMFER. First, it crashed LWM. Then, after relaunch, it 'worked' but left a bunch of 4 pt colinear (looked like lines/2p polys) around the object.

Are these known issues?

JoePoe
01-20-2016, 10:55 PM
J it's unlike u to not give any specifics.... :)

Chamfer on what? Point/edge/poly? How far did you push it?
(edit: In general use I'm not left with the feeling that Chamfer leaves junk behind. In fact I can't recall it happening.)

Object shot perhaps?

jeric_synergy
01-20-2016, 11:33 PM
J it's unlike u to not give any specifics.... :)
I had to change horses mid-post, as the original problem disappeared with the crash.

Here's the very simple object, the Chamfer operation was on Edges:

Chamfer on what? Point/edge/poly? How far did you push it?
(edit: In general use I'm not left with the feeling that Chamfer leaves junk behind. In fact I can't recall it happening.)
Object shot perhaps?

Edges, and not very far. The post STARTED as "Why won't CHAMFER work on this simple object", but then it crashed. When I relaunched, it did operate on the same mesh, but left colinear 4pt polys at RIGHT ANGLES ( :eek: ) to the chamfer

FWIW, I also had no luck using Rounder ( go figure! :2guns: ) before the crash.

JoePoe
01-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Sorry, can't reproduce any problems with a similar shape.
If you want to chase it more.... maybe post a pic of the "polys at right angles" result. Or the lwo itself?
(yeah, Rounder's not gonna like that open edge.)

jeric_synergy
01-21-2016, 09:00 AM
I'd rather just model and not continue to be an uncompensated beta tester for LWG.

prometheus
01-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Hmm..I actually would be afraid trying to chamfer an edge running like that with chamfer, edge bevel perhaps..but not chamfer.

by all means...post the object file if possible.