PDA

View Full Version : How to make the points of any object visable in modeler and layout.

cove
01-18-2016, 04:43 AM
I wrote this tutorial up in response to my previos post.

Here,s how i make all the points of any object visable in modeler and layout.

The example object im using is the LW Alien Emissary figure.

Part 1.
In layer 2 create a few points using the "Spray points feature"
[Left column/Create/Spray points].
These points are visable by default. [Modeler and layout]
Delete all points eccept one then center it [F2 key].

Keep layer 2 selected and make the Alien Emissary a background object.
Now Select the Multiply tab and click on the "More" tab
[just under the Place Mesh tab].

click on the "Point Clone Plus" option.
A panel opens up but no need to change anything here so simple click on ok.

You should now see in layer 2 your object displayed as a collection of visable points and in the shape of your original object.
Multi select both layers and you will see how the points show on/over the object.

[For my own personel project i want to keep both objects seperate as i want to be able to manipulates the points object in a particular way]

Thats basically how you make all points of your object visable but have added the following.

Part 2.
First give your points object a texture name and save your objects to ensure a back up. [I also renamed the main figures texture].

You can now copy and paste the points object into Layer 1 so they both coexist as one object. Which is fine if you want to create single image.
If you want to animate the object and have the points maintain there positions on the surface of your main object then you need to do this--------

Move your points object from layer 2 and place it into layer 1.
Select/highlight ALL points of the 2 objects.
Choose tab "Detail" and click on "Merge Points". In the panel that shows leave "Automatic" selected and just press "ok".
Your object should now have all its points associated to the surface of your object.
You can now manipulate the object any way you want and the points will follow the surface.

Finally if you just want the points of your object to show then just reduce the textured polygon size to zero. [Sorry i came
across this feature by accident and it worked but just cannot remember now were it is located so can,t direct you to the feature].
Also if the original spray point, or simply create another one, is saved seperatly then this point object can be used to replace the
points of a Particle emitter or flocking item. You may think that the last 2 options are are pretty pointless given that the points of
an emitter can be made visable but its just another option.

Well thats it. Hope you find this way of making points visable of use.
2 Images also posted. The image titled "Alien Emmisary Modeler veiw 1" is the modeler perspective view made full screen.
The rendered image does not show all the points clearly but this is down to the texture ive used.
Try different textures as points will show better with other textures. Some preset textures will hide the points.
If any of you care to try out of the above then would much appreciate any feed back as to what you think. KEN.

JoePoe
01-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Hi Cove,

That is a very creative solution. I like the exploration needed for, and used in, the discovery process :thumbsup:!

I do think it is fair (and prudent, in terms of an efficient workflow) to point out that what you have done is a many (well,....several) step procedure that achieves the same thing as...
Select all your Emissary points > hit "make-1-point-polygons".
At this point they are already welded to your base mesh. You just need to give them a new surface name.
If you want them separate... cut and paste into that same (or different) layer.

MonroePoteet
01-18-2016, 11:05 AM
If you don't want a separate points-only object or 1-point polys, you could also use FX Tools=>Hypervoxels in Sprite mode (Surface mode for sharper points) with no Texture, and size the HV's appropriately for the model size (say 1mm, 5mm, etc.)

mTp

jeric_synergy
01-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Note that if you go the separate layer route, and your first layer is rigged, you'll need to use USE BONES (FROM) on your points layer to get it to deform identically as your rigged mesh.

I'm not sure what your options are if you have deformers in addition to Bones (or even solely) in keeping the points layer glued to the poly layer. Hivemind, what say ye?

cove
01-18-2016, 12:44 PM
Hi Cove,

That is a very creative solution. I like the exploration needed for, and used in, the discovery process :thumbsup:!

I do think it is fair (and prudent, in terms of an efficient workflow) to point out that what you have done is a many (well,....several) step procedure that achieves the same thing as...
Select all your Emissary points > hit "make-1-point-polygons".
At this point they are already welded to your base mesh. You just need to give them a new surface name.
If you want them separate... cut and paste into that same (or different) layer.

Thanks for your diplomatic reply.
Tried selecting all points and applying "Make 1 point polygons"
This does indeed give visability to the points of an object and the points move with the surface. Which is great i will remember that as its a bit simpler than my aproach.
But [and there,s always a but isn,t there!!].
When i copied the new points and pasted them into layer 2 the points only showed in the perspective view while the points remain selected.
Deselect the points and the points do not show in the perspective window but do shpw in all other views.
So tried something just to see what would happen.
I selected all the new points now in layer 2 and simply reapplied the
"Make 1 point polygons" again and bingo!! the object now shows all its points in all 4 veiws and it also follows that this points object will be visable in layout.

A least between us were showing different ways to a similar end.
Still think my using the "Spray points" and "Point Clone Plus" combination will be useful to know about.

JoePoe
01-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your diplomatic reply.
Tried selecting all points and applying "Make 1 point polygons"
This does indeed give visability to the points of an object and the points move with the surface. Which is great i will remember that as its a bit simpler than my aproach.
But [and there,s always a but isn,t there!!].
When i copied the new points and pasted them into layer 2 the points only showed in the perspective view while the points remain selected.
Deselect the points and the points do not show in the perspective window but do shpw in all other views.
So tried something just to see what would happen.
I selected all the new points now in layer 2 and simply reapplied the
"Make 1 point polygons" again and bingo!! the object now shows all its points in all 4 veiws and it also follows that this points object will be visable in layout.

A least between us were showing different ways to a similar end.
Still think my using the "Spray points" and "Point Clone Plus" combination will be useful to know about.

Be careful. Now you have 1 point polys on both layers.

After the original Make-1-Point-Polygon operation you still have points selected (and that's what you've copied).
Before copying... switch over to Poly mode (hit space bar twice) and then copy paste :hey:.
(if you somehow lose your active selection just use Statistics panel to select all your newly created 1 point polys)

And I agree, your method is certainly good to know. Point Clone Plus in particular is awesome!

MonroePoteet
01-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Another possibility would be to create a SinglePoint object using either Create 1-point Polys or the Spray Points method, then use Instance Generator on the target object, with "Points" as the instancer type and "Max Points" set to populate the target mesh.

mTp

cove
01-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Note that if you go the separate layer route, and your first layer is rigged, you'll need to use USE BONES (FROM) on your points layer to get it to deform identically as your rigged mesh.

I'm not sure what your options are if you have deformers in addition to Bones (or even solely) in keeping the points layer glued to the poly layer. Hivemind, what say ye?

Thanks for your contribution. Id not given any thought to an object that is rigged with its points in a separate layer but i do understand what your refering to [the "FROM" function]
as id seen a video tutorial recently that included the use of the "FROM" function.
The object i will be using in a project does not need to be fully rigged but i still want it to have some degree of manipulation/movement and 3rDPowers cage deformer plugin can provide me
with the few and simple movements i want.
All the same glad you reminded me of the "FROM" function.
Regards KEN.

jeric_synergy
01-18-2016, 02:41 PM
To me, the most surprising thing here is that Spray Points generates polys.

(I ....can't....stop...myself...) It'd be nice if the Spray Points Numeric panel had:

a checkbox for "[_] Generate Polys", and;
an opportunity to assign a specific/new Surface to any generated polys.

On an empty layer KILLING the polys is no big deal, but if you spray polys into an occupied layer.... well, it's still not much of a deal (Stats window to select, then Kill), but it's the principle of the thing. And those little things DO add up.

prometheus
01-19-2016, 03:12 AM
and star sphere..creates variations of different surfaces, donīt know why I am mentioning it here..but anyway :) might be useful to heat shrink around figures..like different zodiac signs :)

its set up based on a sphere..so itīs easy to wrap around most objects.

cove
01-19-2016, 05:38 AM
prometheus.
Well this is a coinsidence. That is your reference to the the Heat Sink feature.
Id noticed your coment just as i was about to post another reply which includes applying the Heat sink feature to any object as follows-----
Hope you find it of use.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks everyone for advice on how to effect the visability of points on an object.
Have learned more than i expected.

Just one more thing ive found out.

The "Heat Shrink" feature will shrink a cloud of sprayed points on to any object.
Works best with a high density of points on high poygon objects
Also best to spread the point cloud more evenly in each view before shrinking.
Use the Modify/Twist in all veiws then use the Jitter a couple of times.
The cloud of points does not have to be reduced to the same size as the object.

Also you can by using the stretch tool flattern out the points in the top veiw.
You will then have a panel of points as apposed to a cloud of points.
Load into another layer eg. A head object.
Scale down the panel of points so it roughly matches the size of the head
Now apply the "Heat Shrink" feature.
If the result is to few points conforming to the head then simply multiply
the polygon count of the head object and or increase your point count and reapply
Heat Shrink.

Can,t see a practical use for the above but maybe something you may want to try out for fun.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
prometheus. Liked your zodiac signs suggestion.
You could also either with Heat Sink or otherwise have the points of christmas decorations [baubles for instance] show in a christmas scene
to add a bit more sparkle to the scene. Seems we can find uses for the Heat Sink/Spray points etc features

prometheus
01-19-2016, 06:09 AM
one can of course just use an image map in a particle field to make a zodiac sign on the night sky, though wrapping points around an acutal object would allow for morphing between different objects perhaps..or other more 3d depth tricks...then again it might be simpler to use morphed clip map images of zodiac signs and use particles.