PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to make the points of any object visable?

cove
01-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Once you have deleted the polygons [K key] of any object then its points are visable in the modeler windows eccept the perspective view.
These points of an object are not visable in layout either.
This is all normal as points of an object are not ment to be visable.

Does anyone know how to make the points of an object show in the perspective veiw as well as the modeler windows?
Maybe some kind of conversion proceess?

As far as i know the only points that are visible by default are the points produced by the "Spray Points feature" [Left column Create/Spray Points].
These Sprayed points are also visable in layout and can be manipulated and textured.
Would obviosly like the points of any object to show the same as the sprayed points

My intention is to produce an animation were the points of an object are seen to be dispersed and randomly floating around.
These points after a certain time move towards the original object and converge/reform themselve back into the shape of the original object.
At this point the original object is made to fade in and become fully visable.
The point cloud is at the same time made to fade out/transparent.

[I must be honest here and say that i already know how to covert the points of an object into visable points and animate them with or with out the original object.
Just thought it would be interesting to know how others achieve visable points.
As there may be other ways to achieve the same result and be useful for other people to know.
Thanks for any info in reply.
[If anyone wants to know how i convert points to visable points then let me know in your reply and i will be glad to do a rightup and post it].
KEN.

Sensei
01-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Create > Polygons > More > Make 1 Point Polygons.
Then they will start to be renderable by Layout (when Render Globals > Render Lines is turned on), and visible in viewports in Modeler/Layout.

Other way, is simply using points as sources of particles, and render them by HyperVoxels.

prometheus
01-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Letīs get some things straight here, points are always visible as points in All modeler viewports..If you just make sure you set the right display mode...so even if you kill your polygons with points only left, they are visible in perspective mode in modeler, so I do not understand
why you would have it not visible. the modeīs to use is wireframe and color wireframe.

Now in layout..they are also visible in all viewports.., but not in wireframe mode, you have to use vertices mode in layout..but it should be visible in all viewports.
Rendering...they are not visible for rendering unless you have converted them in modeler to 1point polys as mentioned...or add hypervoxels and render as sprite,volume, or surface voxels..the size is controlled in the hv tab and not by the actual point created...
Note..You can also just use layouts modeler tools, create/miscellanous/make 1point polygons too, without doing it in modeler.

So I do not see what the problem is really ?get my point:D

Areyos Alektor
01-17-2016, 11:22 AM
The simplest is to use the "Partigons", it is made for that.

prometheus
01-17-2016, 11:45 AM
The simplest is to use the "Partigons", it is made for that.

No..I donīt think so ..not in this situation, that is to convert particles to partigons, running that on points only made in modeler, If you try and use it on points..It will be like this...
first you have to find it..it is by default not in a menu.
secondly..it pops up a requester to save your object as a partigon.
third..nothing will be converted to 1point polygons.

As I said..the simplest is to use Layout modeler tools, create, miscellanous, make 1 point poly...that will work, you need to save out the object as increment if you want it to work in the scene when reloading, otherwise if converted in layout it will only load the previous point only object and not the converted 1 point poly object.

Areyos Alektor
01-17-2016, 02:10 PM
:D

In fact I opened the page but I didn't answer immediately. And as you have sent your solution in the meantime I've not seen it ;)

The trick to using the "Partigons" is to convert the points to 1 point polygons, and then apply a "Particle Emitter" (can be for example "Birth Rate" = "Particle Limit" = number of vertices of the object, and "Life Time" = 0), and then convert the "Emitter" as "Partigons".

The advantage is that less intensive resource than the "HyperVoxels". Point to control them via the "Partigons", and the rendering via the "Surface Editor".

If I had seen your answer I obviously won't say simpler :p

cove
01-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Thanks for providing a few different ways to make the points of an object visable.
All usefull stuff for those who do not know these things already.

What your replies also show is that the method i found out about through trial and error only a few days
ago maybe a new and possible a unique way to get the result i was after and maybe usefull for you to know.

So ive decided to right up this apparently new approach and post it.
It may take me a while to get it together and i may even be able to provide a sample image showing all points visable on an object.
Hopefully you will try my method out and let me know what you think.
So watch this space ill get back to you as soon as i can.
[tomorrow afternoon at the earliest].
PS. May even post it as a new thread.

Ztreem
01-18-2016, 02:24 AM
I would just use instancing and instance a 1 Point poly or a sphere set to the objects points.

cove
01-18-2016, 05:06 AM
Hi again.
Have now created a text [with images] that discribes how i can make the points of any object visable in modeler and layout.
Needed to post it as a separate thread so i could add some images.
Thread is titled "How to make the points of any object visable in modeler and layout".