PDA

View Full Version : Miss Wisenheimer and the Aliens

hdace
01-17-2016, 09:17 AM
Hello colleagues,

I know this film possibly is not to everyone's taste, but I've been urged to post about it here by people who know better than I. Maybe one or two of you will be intrigued.

https://youtu.be/MJpyfhkfm3Q

We've set up a Kickstarter campaign. If you want to see the finished movie the campaign is here (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epistrophy/miss-wisenheimer-and-the-aliens).

There are many people on this forum who've given me excellent advice over the years and I want to take this opportunity to thank them. Thank you so much for your help!

Best wishes, Hal Dace

hdace
01-17-2016, 09:28 AM
I've been told my opening post sucks, and to say something, anything, about my personal story. So here's some notes I jotted down a couple of days ago:

My personal opinion is the uncanny valley is a myth propogated by mediocre storytelling. If you make a mediocre 3D movie of course you’re going to blame it on the uncanny valley. But really it’s the story. If you have a great story people will suspend their disbelief no matter what is causing the disbelief. When actors are standing on the bridge of the Enterprise in Star Trek it’s the story and the actors’ performances that make you suspend your disbelief. Those elements will still be there in our film and it’ll overcome disbelief and the uncanny valley (if it even exists).

Another great thing about working in small teams is there’ll be much more room for improvisation. It killed Richard Williams. He wanted to improvise but he was stuck in the studio system and that’s the real tragedy of The Thief and the Cobbler.

Epistrophy means improvising so well someone in the audience better transcribe it in real time, it’s that good. And when you’re done the transcribed score can be published and performed by other musicians. Except I’m making movies and they’ll just feel fresher than the symphony/big studio style movies.

there’s another way that movies are going to become much more like paintings. more movies will get made by more people working in small groups. then they’ll get displayed in online galleries just like the ones in Paris and New York. People who are actually really interested in a studio/artist’s work will visit those galleries regularly to see the new productions. Just like the old studio system broke down, the contemporary distribution system will break down.

even steven spielberg has already predicted the new paradym. like here: http://collider.com/steven-spielberg-george-lucas-industry-implosion/ movies are ideas that improve people’s lives and understanding of life and give them inspiration. there should not be so many roadblocks to such benefits. if the system is more democratic the content will be more interesting because there won’t be the constant search for the next “blockbuster”. people won’t be trying to earn 1/2 a billion dollars with each movie. they’ll be happy just to earn one million because that’s all they’ll need to live on and to make the next movie.

it’ll be easier for actors to be successful without having to try too hard to become the next movie star. perfect looks won’t be so important and strong talent and hard work will be well rewarded.