PDA

View Full Version : Can we do something about these various Lw gallery forum sections?

prometheus
01-11-2016, 01:27 AM
Please...clean up these gallery forum sections, itīs just making it harder for us to follow, it makes the whole forum cluttered with to many sections that in my opinion should be living in one section

we got lw 11 gallery..so what is next, a 2015 gallery, and soon a 2016 gallery, and I am not sure about finished and not finished work either...might be more attractive to all if Every post..regardless if it is a wip or finished is posted in one single

Gallery section..
So my advice...clean it up make a new section Called Gallery, move Every gallery post in there without breaking links if possible...and you know what, add a thumbnail for those posting their initial gallery post.
it will be easier for Everyone including webmasters to keep track on it, and it freeīs some space on the overall forum that could have other sections, called pipelines for all I/O workflows, or why not special dedicated workshops or sections covering the dynamics system, the bullet dynamics workshops is somewhere almost hidden in ancient sections.

Good Luck
Michael

Surrealist.
01-11-2016, 02:11 AM
Maybe they are planning another LW dedicated site? I agree though. Good ideas there.

spherical
01-11-2016, 02:16 AM
+1

Never saw the relevance for the "Finished" version. As soon as a post goes in and someone offers a suggestion, and the creator follows it, it's not "finished" anymore. Besides, posting something in "Finished" seems a bit of hubris, don't you think? One person's "finished" is another person's: "Well, ya got a bit to go there, still, buddy...."

prometheus
01-11-2016, 03:07 AM
+1

Never saw the relevance for the "Finished" version. As soon as a post goes in and someone offers a suggestion, and the creator follows it, it's not "finished" anymore. Besides, posting something in "Finished" seems a bit of hubris, don't you think? One person's "finished" is another person's: "Well, ya got a bit to go there, still, buddy...."

Agreed..

Itīs not only the gallery section that needs to have an overhaul, the membership zone? is that doing anything good over there? in there there is the dynamic workshop, it should go in to lw general techniques section, as well as the I/O section...

The membership section...
The last post in the dynamic workshop was made by me, at may 2015-05-30 ....huh, and the post was about moving that section to somewhere else, that might say something or?
The last post in I/O was in 2014...and that says?
Itīs just a waste of knowledge and forum orginized space.

lightscape
01-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Just started a similar thread recently because the forums look old and outdated.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

50one
01-11-2016, 07:47 AM
Don't remove the Rendition subforum, it's buzzing with activity.

Why this forum can't be like 99% forums out there who get the UX part right? Gallery(finished) - Work in progress and that's it:).

DrStrik9
01-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Please...clean up these gallery forum sections, itīs just making it harder for us to follow, it makes the whole forum cluttered with to many sections that in my opinion should be living in one section

+1 -- An inspired idea.

prometheus
01-11-2016, 08:47 AM

Why this forum can't be like 99% forums out there who get the UX part right? Gallery(finished) - Work in progress and that's it:).

huh..rendition subforum...the list of forum section is too long, so long that I missed it..no wonder.

spherical
01-11-2016, 06:50 PM

Said tongue-in-cheek, I presume? :) 42 threads, 181 posts total. Last one in 9/2011. Buzzing I tell ya... buzzing. :D

The membership section...
The last post in the dynamic workshop was made by me, at may 2015-05-30 ....huh, and the post was about moving that section to somewhere else, that might say something or?
The last post in I/O was in 2014...and that says?
Itīs just a waste of knowledge and forum orginized space.

I agree with consolidating with other like-vintage forums, but do not want them to be deleted and do not think it to be a waste at all. There is a LOT of information in them that serve, still. Many concepts will still be valid even with the new renderer; because they are physics-based and the new renderer is that.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Said tongue-in-cheek, I presume? :) 42 threads, 181 posts total. Last one in 9/2011. Buzzing I tell ya... buzzing. :D

I agree with consolidating with other like-vintage forums, but do not want them to be deleted and do not think it to be a waste at all. There is a LOT of information in them that serve, still. Many concepts will still be valid even with the new renderer; because they are physics-based and the new renderer is that.

Agree too, not deleting, in such case...throw it in to archives, the point is just to clean up the forums in how the sections is arranged and where valuable information should be and also make it easier for everyone to find, and also without jumping in and out of similar sections like galler wip, finished, lw 11 gallery etc...their isnīt even enough and frequent posts in the gallery sections to justify so many different sections of gallery posts...just merge them all to Lightwave gallery, I am convinced more folks would actually browse through whats in there and also not miss something becuase it happens to be in another gallery forum section you may not visit often...and which would require us users constantly jumping in and out of those sections.

A thumbnail...Yes, we once had that actually...would also help us decide wich post we find interesting..rather than letting us read and guess, and perhaps click everyone of the posts to see if it is of interest for us.

1. as One Lightwave gallery section
2. as thumbnail views on each post.
Tada...

bobakabob
01-13-2016, 05:58 AM
Agree with Prometheus and Spherical, consolidate the Galleries. There have been requests for years to develop visuals on the site. It would be good publicity and generate traffic. The Gallery sections are very quiet these days. There are no thumbnails and a distinct lack of graphics on the forum (for a 3D design and animation app!) e.g. top row. A lot of folk are migrating to social media these days.