PDA

View Full Version : Fill holes with multiple polys?

squarewulf
01-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Say you have a mesh like this

Is it possible to fill that hole with quads easily? I know I can bridge then split and weld etc etc, but there has to a way to do it quicker than that, right? I find I spend a lot of time filling in holes while modeling or modifying a mesh.

prometheus
01-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Say you have a mesh like this

Is it possible to fill that hole with quads easily? I know I can bridge then split and weld etc etc, but there has to a way to do it quicker than that, right? I find I spend a lot of time filling in holes while modeling or modifying a mesh.

if you got 11.6.2 and up ..you could look for close holes, (edge pack)

or select outline edges or points in a a loop if possiple, just make poly, use cm_subdivide, cm polydivide or quad skin. (free plugins..search the lightwav plugin database)

natively..

you can also just select that created polygon, shift t for triangulate it, then use merge triangles, then correct polyflow if needed.

squarewulf
01-07-2016, 04:34 PM
cm_polydivide is close to what i need, this may work.

Quad_skin seems to not work in lw2015.

Thanks for the suggestions! These definitely help.

JoePoe
01-07-2016, 06:13 PM
What you want is QuadSkinPatcher (http://thespread.faulknermano.com/index2.html). It's awesome!
(not in the database... and different than Quad Skin which just does one strip. Quad Skin is only 32 bit anyway.... probably why it's not working for you).

It comes with a good .html based Read Me (how to) presentation.
But there is also Erikals video(s) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzr8w73_jR0)

prometheus
01-07-2016, 06:50 PM
cm_polydivide is close to what i need, this may work.

Quad_skin seems to not work in lw2015.

Thanks for the suggestions! These definitely help.

quadskin works perfectly fine in lw 2015...32 bit that is, I havenīt even installed 64 bit for lw 2015, there are soo many plugins only available in 32 bit for modeling that I can live withour the 64 bit version, I would swap between lw 64 and 32 bit too much otherwise..But using layout with dense meshes is a different thing, and also huge particle amounts..then the 64 bit is a must.

if you used quadskin on a selected poly, that will not work properly, select outline points, or just select your poly and convert to point selection and run quad skin..should work, and yes qaudskin patcher is nice too perhaps..but I often get errors with that one, maybe I should read the manual or watch erikals vids more...but I prefer a tool without reading up too much on it regarding simple things like this, so quad skin works without errors, so try quadskin again..just remember to use point outline selection, and in 32 bit that is.

otherwise use detail tab, mesh repair, cap holes and uncheck the rest...this will however cap/close every other hole in a mesh.

prometheus
01-07-2016, 07:05 PM
a difference between quadskin patcher, and quad skin you get flipped polys..that I do not like, and you can not select a poly and convert to outline points, it needs to be aware of point selection order..quad skin does close it with polys correct, and you can select one poly and convert without taking in account the point order.

so in case you already have cap it first with some cap holes tools, and just want to divide it, seems to me quad skin is to be used, or cm divide, cm polydivide.
to be aware of, quadskin to divide a polygon isnīt clean..you need to remove original polygon after that..so that is only to be used in special occasions dividing a polygon..or maybe not.huh:) I got to go and sleep now it seems.

prometheus
01-07-2016, 07:19 PM
If you use the quadskin patcher, regarding flipped polygons, you of course have to either manually reselect and flip them, or a bit easier, use align command preferably mapped to shortcut or a right click mouse menu perhaps.

JoePoe
01-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Follow the directions. Select counterclockwise. No flipping necessary. It's fantastic.

BeeVee
01-08-2016, 01:22 AM
Alternatively, you can do it in Modeler without plugins. Use Select Open Edges, convert to Point selection, hit p. This does only work for single missing quads or tris of course. If you have bigger holes, you will need to make them into quads using l. (I use this for laser scanning work where polys get missed)

B

prometheus
01-08-2016, 09:06 PM
hereīs some images showing re-mesh results from some commands and free plugins...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131827&d=1452312284

Plugins to be found here...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/cm_polydivide/

prometheus
01-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Follow the directions. Select counterclockwise. No flipping necessary. It's fantastic.

:)
I am used to stuff going from left to right, except listening to yoda and going in that direction in terms of politics. :)