PDA

View Full Version : No Point At Target on Bank, Huh?

Chrusion
01-07-2016, 12:42 PM
I have a bin object layer parented to support "leg" object layer like this (where the + signs are the pivot points)...

-----------
| |
+----------
||
||
||
||
+

I have a second support that I want the "free" end of the bin to "attach" to like this (the asterisk is where two nulls, a 'supportGoal' parented to the bin and a 'binGoal' parented to the second support, overlap each other and "pin" the bin and support together) ...

-----------
| |
+----------*
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
+ +

I want to rotate ONLY the left (first) support on BANK and have the bin rotate to stay "attached" to the second support that follows the bank rotation of the first (using Same as Item constraint in its Motion Options > Controllers and Limits bank channel with the first support selected as the Rotation Item.

-----------
| |
+----------*
// //
// //
// //
+ +

BUT, since the Point at Target option on the bank channel is greyed out, the bin obviously doesn't rotate to remain "pinned" to the second support.

So the question is, WHY is this option not available on bank?

Yes... I'm using the Follower modifier as a work around with a -1 multiplier on bank to follow the first support, still the question remains.

RebelHill
01-07-2016, 12:50 PM
use pole item.

Chrusion
01-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Tried that... object flips 90 deg. away from its original rest position.

Then I rotated the entire model in modeler and reset all pivots, so rotations are now on pitch and tried Point at Target again and the bin doesn't flip 90 deg, but rotates clockwise (same direction as the support leg that I want driving all the other motions) and thus it breaks away from the goal. If it rotated counter-clockwise, it appears it would remain pinned to the goal at the top of the second support leg.

RebelHill
01-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Are you setting the pole and target as the same item? Obviously that cant work, since there will always be one axis that has to be orthogonal against the other 2.